Last time you changed your head gasket?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by 2stroker, Jun 13, 2012.

1. 2stroker

2stroker Banned

On my old kit it seeme like every few months i would have a head gasket issue that i would have to address. I was just wandering how often other people have had head gasket problems? The kit that i use now doesn't have a head gasket so its great cause i dont have any problems with it anymore!!

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

On a China Girl, I have never had a gasket problem when the cylinder studs are torqued to between 120 and 175 INCH pounds.

3. 2stroker

2stroker Banned

Did you have to torque the bolts yourself?

4. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with a Happy-Time head gasket failing.
    After about 50 miles of operation i re-torque the head gasket as it will deform slightly with material compression.
    Once the head studs have been re-torqued, it's all good; checking the tension every 2,000 kilometers after that.

If you've ever rebuilt an American V8 engine you would be amazed at the level of material compression in a standard (non MLS) gasket after a 2 minute test run on the engine stand; requiring the head bolts to be re-torqued to prevent premature head gasket failure.

5. 2stroker

2stroker Banned

I wonder how people out there that buy those kits knows that you gotten torque the bolts after 50miles. no wonder people say there kit doesn't make it past 40miles. to much complication.sure would be nice just to bolt your engine on and just ride and not have to tweak it.

6. Greg58

Greg58 Member

I do my engines like Ron does, I pull the head and cylinder and make sure they are flat and true. Replacing studs if they are questionable, I true mine head on a true flat surface with sand paper tape to it. I check the head nuts regularly and have not had any problems. Greg

7. 2stroker

2stroker Banned

Proper maintenance pays off in the end!!! Its always good look things over and make sure your tight!!
    I usually dont have any problems with my kit unless i get dirt in the carb. Mine doesn't have a head gasket so it just another thing i dont worry bout. i like your bikes to looks like a smoothe ride!

8. Greg58

Greg58 Member

2stroker a lot of us grew up in a differant era, my first job was in a volkswagon shop. I learned very quick that keeping all the head bolts on a all aluminum engine torqued properly is a must. Greg

9. 2stroker

2stroker Banned

Thats good for the people from that era. What about the newbies!! lol. My 1st job was tearing off roofs and it sucked. Now i sell em and run a roofing business!
    Check out my motorized canoe its and inboard/outboard! Its in the off-topic forum

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, this hobby (or transport to some) isn't well suited to those with in inept level of mechanical knowledge. How many people have ceased engines because they didn't mix 2-stroke oil with pump fuel.

11. 2stroker

2stroker Banned

Thats irrelevant to the matter. if you cant even mix oil correctly maybe you shouldn't be riding a 2stroke. Its pretty simple. I was mixing oil for my dirtbike when i was 7 years old. I dont think its that hard. If you dont know engine's and how they work your probally not gonna know to torque down your head bolts. Theres a reason why you know so much about these motors. They break and you gotta fix em. So you think your some kinda motorized bike whisperer once you get running where you want it. Which is cool. I gotta boat and if you own a boat you better know how to work on them while your out on the water. Or your not gonna have to good of a time. I found that out the hard way. It made learn how to fix it and now i fix boats on the side. All my friends have me fix theirs!!! I feel like a boat whisperer!