LAW IN MN - Did you know that?

tcg20

Local time
6:20 AM
Getting my bike back up and running, brushing up on MN motorbike law. Looks like they've really upped the ante since last I knew.

Brief summary:
Mopeds (or motorized bicycles) have a piston displacement of 50cc or less, two-brake horsepower or less, and are not able to go faster than 30 mph on a level surface, as defined by Minnesota lawmakers. If a vehicle exceeds any of these categories, it will likely be classified as a motorcycle.

If you have a driver's license, you're legally allowed to drive a moped. If you don't, you'll need to obtain a moped operator's permit. Applicants must be at least 15 years old.
Moped drivers need to carry liability insurance, but riders of electric-assisted bicycles do not. Mopeds must be titled at registered at a Driver and Vehicle Services location, much in the same manner as a car.

Mopeds must be registered in Minnesota. A title or proof of sale of the moped is required for registration, along with a photograph. After registration, mopeds are required to have license plates

Mopeds are not allowed on lanes and trails that have been set aside for bicycles.
Riding on sidewalks is not permitted except where it would be necessary for a short distance.
Mopeds do not need to be inspected in Minnesota.
Moped riders must wear eye protection at all times.
To operate a moped when it is dark outside, it must be equipped with a headlight that meets the standard set for motorcycles.

Motorcycle Law:
All motorcyclists must do the following:
* Have a motorcycle instruction permit or a motorcycle endorsement.
* Register their motorcycle and display a valid license plate.
* Carry liability insurance for their bike and proof of insurance when riding.
* Wear eye protection, either a face shield, goggles, or glasses.
(No MN helmet laws w00t)
Motorcycle permit holders:
* Must wear a DOT-approved helmet.
* Cannot carry passengers.
* Cannot ride on interstate freeways.
* Cannot ride at night.

Misc. Law:
Motorcyclists are entitled to the full use of their lane and have all the rights and responsibilities of other drivers.
Minnesota motorcyclists are protected under Minnesota motorcycle law that makes negligent drivers responsible and liable to Minnesota motorcyclists.
Headphones / earphones: one ear only.
Motorcyclists must not carry anything that interferes with holding onto the handlebars.
All laws regarding driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs apply to motorcyclists as well.
Penalties for riding without a motorcycle endorsement or instruction permit include up to 90 days in jail, a $1,000 fine, and having the motorcycle towed and impounded.
Motorcycle equipment

For street-legal motorcycles:
- if the motorcycle has a passenger seat, it must also have passenger footrests.
- a rear view mirror, horn, and muffler are required equipment.
- the headlight must be on at all times when riding. Motorcycles are required to have at least one, but not more than two, headlights with both high and low beam. Headlight modulators are legal in Minnesota as an exception to FMVSS 571.108.
- a red tail light is required, including a brake or stop lamp. A "blue dot" on the tail light of up to one inch in diameter is legal.
- at least one brake is required, front or rear, which may be operated by hand or foot.

Oh yeah and no lane splitting. I've always thought that should be legal in US. Virtually all other countries allow it. And they're usually better motorists. Not just for that reason but my point is traffic in Europe, South America, and India is far more challenging than US resulting in more awareness. I'd love to line up with cars an zoom through the middle of a pack accordian tag style. That'd make them aware of motorbikes lol.

I've put about 3000mi on my motorbike, and it's made me respectfully aware of the poor ability of most drivers out there. So that's my rule of the road, assume you're the only one with their eyes open.

http://www.smsa.org/motorcycle_awar.../bumper_stickers/start_seeing_motorcycles.php

Getting my bike back up and running, brushing up on MN motorbike law. Looks like they've really upped the ante since last I knew.

Brief summary:
Mopeds (or motorized bicycles) have a piston displacement of 50cc or less, two-brake horsepower or less, and are not able to go faster than 30 mph on a level surface, as defined by Minnesota lawmakers.

Mopeds must be titled at registered at a Driver and Vehicle Services location, much in the same manner as a car.

Mopeds must be registered in Minnesota. A title or proof of sale of the moped is required for registration, along with a photograph. After registration, mopeds are required to have license plates

So are you saying you need to get your bike registered as a moped when its up and running? Ive been past plenty of police putting at about
15-20mph without any problems so far. If you put a motor kit on a bike what do you use for a title when you go to the DMV to register it?

Last edited:
Yeah if I wanted to be legal I'd have to register. My engine 3.5hp 70cc so I'd most likely have to register as motorcycle, I think for title they take photographs and give it a State Identification Number, I think I heard they issue pink slips too. This is going off when my buddy titled a dirtbike. I'd have to get a motorcycle endorsement on my license, and I'd have to carry motorcycle insurance.

That's just a regular old grubee from ebay.

But I've never had any special license for moped/motorcycle. I'm probably not going to register my bike when it's cruise worthy again. I didn't have my license when I was riding it. Although, I was usually further outside the city, often on side trails. I figure cops usually just saw a bike and not the motor when they passed me. Never got pulled over. Waved to most of them. Also I think it's reasonable to assume a factor of unfamiliarity with the specifics of the law. I figure a cop's going to stop a motorbike just to check it out, not hassle you. Most have better things to do.

But that's in the 'burbs. Now I live near the downtown, there's 3 cop shops within 2 miles of my house. But still I don't think there'll be much trouble.

I pulled my bike out of storage to get set up for a couple quality rides before it's winter, got a few repairs and planning a few performance mods (fixed sprocket adaptation, expansion chamber exhaust, performance carb) she should be running great and that's when I can't help but go all out. So maybe a cop will see me go through a stop sign or something or they see me early morning (that's when I usually go for long rides) and it's the first hour of the day and the first thing they see is a biker in the middle of the doing S patterns and they can't really seem to catch up.. yeah maybe I'll get pulled over.

But they're just doing their jobs, respect them they respect you. Unless your being a total idiot and traffic's been honking and swearing at you for the last few miles, you probably deserve a ticket, otherwise I figure 9/10 cops wouldn't intend to ticket a MBer unless said MBer made them want to issue a ticket.

I've gotten the spotlight and flagged down all the time skateboarding. I'm usually out way late or way early, whatever you want to say there's no cars on the road when you go out at 3 AM, so I can't not roll in the street and cut back and forth and jump the median and stuff. So I draw attention, and cops see me but it's the conversation every time, why I'm out this time of night, where I'm coming from, going, stay on the sidewalks 'cause there's drunks out here, etc. I always just speak clearly, say sir/ma'am/officer, yeah I give somewhat vague answers, but they've got no right to ask my address or even try to see my ID at this point. And because I've done nothing wrong I just act like it. And sometimes I say thanks for checkin' up on me or some halfway snide remark as they're rolling away.

Cops are people too lol.

But as far as riding around in the downtown and stuff, just going to respect the road, obey the laws, ride like I'm invisible, and try to spot cops before they spot me, maybe actually use the pedal drive lol. Even if they wanted to talk to me I think it's unlikely they'd want to ticket me unless they actually witnessed a violation.

Anyway long post but that's just my experience with the popo.

Last edited:
Bicycles and Motors and Licenses in Minnesota

No title, no license, so says the local people. No way to title bike and they don;t want to mess with it.

I explained that I ride a bike with a belt driven motor attached, with the belt off, most of the time and was told not to worry then. Seems our great legislature blew it, again.

I did read the statutes and although the statute now seems to lump bicycles with motors together with mopeds, maybe to increase revenues by ten scoots, and asked no one about the differences, they put the whole matter into a sort of limbo that no one cares about, at least at this point.

Screw it!

I just do my thing and hope no cell phone using jerk or inattentive moron hits me.

No freaking common sense!

I called the dmv central office, they wanted nothing to do with home built motor bicycles due to the liability involved. They don't want to have to inspect them all so as of summer 2008 unless produced by a manufacture motor bicycles are allowed to go anywhere a bicycle can except for trails marked no motorized veichals. So of course I asked who enforces the no motor rules and they said no one. I haven't called the police yet but the dmv said there is no penalty or enforcement in place for those signs. No license, tabs, plates, insurance, not even the 50cc 30mph rules apply to home builts. Right now it's a free for all unless things get out of hand. Ride safe and respectfully

Side note, at least slow down at the lights, you do have a motor, you'll catch back up.:cool:

Minnesota Laws

Thanks for heads-up. Will get with local legislator to get laws in line with common sense...so local enforcement people cannot go off on their own and someone gets the shaft.

MN registration

Hi, I just got liability ins. and covers my med. bills $30 a year. to register as moped (like $9) 49cc and less. over 49cc and its a motorcycle. But need title to register so i got my proof of sale and i hope will get me a title, although i havent been talked to by the popo. would like to be prepared. By the way my 66cc grubee i took all the badges off and as far as they know it's a 49cc lol.

Hi I just got a bike that will be kept in MN. Did trying to register the bike work for you?

Bike Registration Minnesota Title State

When I went down to register the bike as a bicycle, they virtually had no clue on how to do it with no title. Bike titles are were not given then and as far as I know are not still.

Perhaps they do it like they do old boat trailers with no title, but I do not bother with it. Bad law and clearly an effort to get our money.

I ride title free and love it.

mn legislative reasearch paper

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/scooter.pdf

From the article- Motorized bicycles must be registered and licensed at an annual tax of $6. No title is required. They may be operated on streets and highways if registered, but the operator needs either a driver's license or a motorized bicycle operator permit. They may not be operated on a sidewalk except to cross it. The vehicle must have a headlight and, if operated at night, a taillight. If the vehicle is an electric-assisted bicycle an operator must wear a helmet when riding on a street or highway; if it is a motorized bicycle a helmet is required only up to age 18. Operators of motorized bicycles must wear eye protection but operators of electric-assisted bicycles need not do so. Headlights and taillights are required for nighttime operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back