Lawnmower subversion in Devon

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by snailspacejase, Jan 27, 2008.

1. snailspacejase

snailspacejase New Member

Hi to you motored bike people out there. I thought I was the only crazy into this stuff. Pleased to find I'm not!
    Hope you don't mind me showing my contraption to you. It is a shopping bike with a suffolk punch mower engine grafted on the front. 3 speed gearboxes for pedals and engine. Auto clutch.
    It made me laugh.
    I'm toying with the idea of a sterling engine powered beast next.The problem is it will need a swept volumn of at least 600cc to produce 250w. Could be fun.
    I normally get about on bigger machines and have yet to risk the law by riding the shopper/mower on her Majestys highway. Gonna do it when they are'nt looking.

Attached Files:

2. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Welcome to Mbc. :cool:
    Nice little build.
  3. Papasaun

Papasaun Guest

Welcome to MBc. This what I like to see, WOW,,,,creative!

4. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Love the look on your face where the chain fell off. :lol: I'm all out of Suffolk Punch engines, but I just stuck a tecumseh snow thrower engine on one. That poor thing has been a happy time, an electric, and now a snow machine. What next.

By the way, your front hub setup just gave me a few ideas.......(runs off to shop)
  5. mickey

mickey Guest

Welcome aboard. That gearing looks like it could scale a wall!
  6. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

thats a lot of engine! very cool! can ya smoke the tire on that baby?
  7. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I like it. Wrap some wood around it and call it an apple toter. Oh, make sure you got your ear plugs in so nobody else can hear it! Heh Heh!
  8. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D
  9. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Nice! Oh yea, welcome to MBC from the Giant Side of Texas!
  10. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

That is the kind of stuff I would like to see more of ! Anyone can go to the store and buy things, but to to what you did is what it's all about for me. Thanks for giving me some ideas to think about.You made my day Snailspace.
  11. snailspacejase

Hey thanks for the replies guys. I feel most welcomed!
    Like the wrap wood idea.
    Smoke the front! Ha yeah, on wet mud.
    I've got to make smaller chain sproket cos it won't pull hills.
    See my face when that chain derails at 30mph and locks the front!
  12. I'm thinking you took a fixed rear rim and connected that big sprocket with the c clip that holds the smaller original sprocket is that right? Now if it is,where did you get that sprocket? Or in other words,where did you get that wheel?
    That is such an evily simple ride. It's so brilliant!
    And I LOVE your chain tensioner!
    Hats off to you.
  13. snailspacejase

Sproket stuff

Hey Large Filipino.
    The front wheel is a back wheel from a shopping bike. You see them in the junk yards (recycling centers) all the time here.
    I welded a front bicycle chain ring to the exisiting sproket of a 3 speed hub.
    Do any of you chaps run a bodge up like this?

Attached Files:

14. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

dang!! I don't even like to think about locking the front wheel at 30mph!! :shock: ouch!!

really sweet design. thanks for the close-up of your front sprocket.
    I know I have some questions for ya.
    IMHO...this build deserves a thread in the Picture Gallery. (hint;)) I'll ask my questions there, so this cool info doesn't get lost in your intro.

Welcome to MBc!!
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008