Leading Leg Position

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zev0, Aug 9, 2008.

Leading Leg

1. Right handed, lead with left leg

14 vote(s)
  2. Left handed, lead with right leg

2 vote(s)
  3. Right handed, lead with right leg

8 vote(s)
  4. Left handed, lead with left leg

1 vote(s)
  5. Never use just one position

4 vote(s)
  1. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Last evening I was wondering about leg position while cruizing. Do you lead with your left or right leg and are you right or left handed.

Me? I'm right handed and my left leg is the leading leg on the pedals.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I lead with my left.....but then I drop my right & I catch a left in the face! :p :lol::lol:

oh...biking...not boxing!! hehehe

I am mostly right handed & I lead with my right leg, from a stop.

Lots of things I can do with either hand....but I can only deal cards, lefthanded.
  3. softride

softride Member

leg position

interesting question:smile:
    I usually run my pedals fore and aft parallel with the ground and tuck my knees in that way i dont have to change position going around corners :shock::lol:,and am right handed
  4. alternativefuel

alternativefuel New Member

Im right handed. I guess I have no rhyme or reason. I always switch-em for comfort.
  5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

maybe I dint understand the question..... can I get a do-over? :lol:
  6. Stand up and walk. Which leg goes out first?
    My right leg goes out first. I'm right handed.
    I'm left eye dominant too. Bring your pointer finger out and look at it.
    Then close your left eye. Did it move? Now close your right eye.
    The eye that your finger didn't move is your dominate eye.
    That doesn't always work,though. :grin:
    When I'm cruising my right leg is out and my left leg is back.
  7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

cool...I am left eye dominate too. must be all those punches to my right eye!
    okay.... I finally get it. I thought you wanted to know what leg I push my pedals with, first.
    when I'm cruising....most of the time, my left leg is forward.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  8. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Very good Dave. You finally figured it out. If I lead with my right it just feels so un-natural. But I supposed you're comfortable with what you learned with.
  9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I remember marching....you always start with you left. correct?
  10. graucho

graucho Active Member

Im right handed, lead with my left. Play hockey left, bat a ball left, start my stride with my left. Hummm, thanks Zev0 for reminding me im backwards. :grin:
  11. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Thanks guys....now I have one less hour to try to occupy myself today. :grin: Or is this important....am I being tested....geez, I've been doing it wrong all these years. :shock:
  12. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

I'm goofy footed.
  13. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I'm right handed, and I ride with my left leg forward. That way, my right (and stronger) leg is ready to backpedal to use the coaster brake. However, when pedalling from a stop I do lead with my right leg.
  14. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

i use to lead with my middle leg , but that was a long time ago!
  15. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Yep- left leg in front, right ready to apply the coaster brake. Since I learned to ride on a coaster brake bike, I guess is just feels right.
  16. loquin

loquin Active Member

I'm right-handed, but swing bat, golf club, etc, left handed.

I normally brake coaster brake with my left leg, so the right leg leads. If the bike skids, the back wheel will pull to the left, so I can lower my right foot to control the skid if needed.
  17. sparky

sparky Active Member

I always use the right side of my body for everything. I'm as left-brained as they come. I've never even considered leading with my left leg before just now. And I definitely can't kick a soccer ball with my left leg too well either.

As for the eye dominance thing, I dunno if I buy that test. Sometimes when people come up with an answer to that, I think it's just because their hand is more in front of one eye than the other. If they switch hands, do they still get the same answer?

If you put your finger right in front of your face and point it at something... you're gonna see two sides of your finger. I've honestly always put the object between both images. I shoot pool with both eyes open, and I'd prolly shoot a rifle with both eyes open if sights were designed that way.
  18. spoom

spoom Member

From Sheldon Brown's website:

Goofy Footed
    When you coast with the cranks horizontal, ideally you should have the left foot forward, right foot rear. This way the stresses on the crank/bottom bracket interface are in the usual direction.
    If you coast with your right foot forward, that's sometimes called "goofy footed" and can contribute to loosening up or damaging the crank, since it applies stress in the opposite direction than the stresses of normal pedaling.

This term comes from the world of surfing, where left-foot forward is the norm.
  19. Simon_A

Simon_A Member

I guess Im different, when I coast I have the cranks vertical. Left down, right up. But I have a bung right knee so it being bent is the most comfortable, and I rotate them 180 if needed for cornering. I voted left forward as with my leg straight its slightly forward of vertical.
  20. autobo7

autobo7 Member

I lead with my left for a mile or so and have to switch. I am really considering putting in some kind of foot pegs that are next to each other so i can stop shifting!