leaf spring springer

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by elewayne, Mar 6, 2009.

1. elewayne

elewayne New Member

I did a search and didn't dome up with much. Does anyone know how to build a leaf spring, springer fork, like the early Indians had out over the front wheel.
    Like where to find the spring leafs? What would they be made from, some small car springs?

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

If only there was an existing one to copy. but I'll bet that's a low production item.

And small car leafs would surely be available, but they'd likely be a bit big for the job.
    (Yugo springs, maybe?)

There's a guy here named "Houghmade" who has a decorative spring on his. There are photos, but it's non-functioning.

Good luck.
  3. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I'm him...and yes, it would be a neat idea. The only thing to do is look at some pictures, see how it works (it is simpler in concept than a "beehive" springer), and fabricate it.

As BG said, mine is for looks only, but there is no reason someone (you!!!) couldn't custom build a one-off functional set.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  4. Revorunner

Revorunner Member

Hey HoughMade,

You said it was not fuctional? Too Bad.

It looks like it would be very smooth even on very rough roads.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  5. gerbil

gerbil New Member

there are some pics at greenridgecycle.com , no more complex than any other springer (maybe easier) maybe leaf springs from a small trailer would work good
  6. elewayne

elewayne New Member

Thanks for the website. Very good pictures. Also thanks for the trailer leaf idea, I hadn't thought of that.:grin5:
  7. Revorunner

Revorunner Member

Yep,Interesting website.

Interesting prices on leaf springers.:ack2:
  8. Irish John

Irish John Guest

I know guys in metal workshops around here who could make you one pretty cheap. I'm sure it's the same around you. Get it made exactly as you want it.
    They braze them I'm told. They don't weld them.
  9. elewayne

elewayne New Member

I can braze and make one myself. I just was wondering if anyone knew where I would get the springs or specs. Someone mentioned small trailer springs and that may prove to be a good source. I hadn't thought of that. The close up pictures on the web site were a big help also, I hadn't seen that site in my research. When I finish my Lotus Seven project this summer I may really start looking at building one and maybe selling copys if there is any interest. My home in Houston is in a historic neighborhood and board track motorbike would fit in nicely there.( I could be so cool.):cool:
    Thanks for the help so far, from all of you.
  10. Tom Bartlett

Tom Bartlett New Member

Similar interests?

Your mention of a Lotus Seven project caught my eye...I'm in the final stages of finishing my third Seven project (I built two this time). And they are located right beside my motored bikes. Which are alongside a half-completed cyclekart...which is another story.
    Tom Bartlett
  11. elewayne

elewayne New Member

too cool,
    Here's my web site for my projects. www.Texaslocost.com
    Cycle karts are so cool. I've had the site for those bookmarked for years.
    Do you have pictures somewhere?
  12. smitty

smitty Guest

I had a leaf spring made at a place called "A-C Spring and Trailer" in San Jose CA. many years ago to fit a '41 Ford pick-up I used to own. (I still kick myself for selling it. My brother still has it.) Those old Fords have one spring in front and one spring in the rear, they span from wheel to wheel. You might try checking with a trailer shop. If you can find one.
  13. Tom Bartlett

Tom Bartlett New Member

Sources for Springs

A major problem of sourcing a suitable spring for a leaf spring front (or rear) suspension is the "stiffness" (is that the right word?) of the spring. The cyclekart builders are all using variations of the antique buggy seat springs. Just google "buggy seat spring" or enter that phrase in the search box in Ebay (I just did, and 5 sets came up). I am attaching a picture of the buggy seat spring that I purchased for my cyclekart. It made the perfect front end, and the stiffness (for a wooden cyclekart body) is just about perfect. The dimensions (if I can recall correctly) were 1-3/4" wide and 25" eye-to-eye.
    Tom Bartlett

Attached Files: