Leaking Fuel Shutoff.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by ArmyCiv1, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ArmyCiv1

ArmyCiv1 New Member

So my fuel shutoff valve leaks, as do most. I have read other posts on the subject and I plan on using a fitting with barbs on one end to attach a fuel line to. I plan on using a typical small engine filter the a small engine shut off valve available at most hardware stores. The Question I have is what size of fitting do I use. I ask this because it is dark outside in my area of the country. In order to remove the stock valve would consist of draining fuel in the dark. Not something I want to do. If anybody knows the size off hand, that would be great.

2. use red gasket plus teflon tape on the threads or gasket maker,now i have no leaks,did you try that?
    or order a new shutoff valve petcock that cost more and it'll be a better one.
  3. Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle Member

If you are referring to the standard HT tank, it has an odd female thread, but a nylon 1/8" NPT to 1/4" barbed nipple from Ace Hardware worked for me with plenty of Teflon tape.
  4. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

You'll need a valve or adapter nipple for the tank which is 1/8" M - NPT. On the output side you'll need a 1/4" barbed fitting. The decent valves are around $10, but people find them for less if the hardware store hasn't updated their prices. The barbs are a couple bucks or less. One of the problems is the size of the whole assembly makes a tight bend for the fuel lines to get a filter in there.

SBP does sell a precision mini ball valve and nipple pre-assembled for an OK price of $9.95. $2-3 bucks will get it to you in the USA.

I'm very curious about it not being light during the day where you live.
  5. ArmyCiv1

ArmyCiv1 New Member

Thanks for all the posts. I was able to find a small valve and our local hardware store, less than five bucks. Also purchased a clear inline fuel filter. Setup seems to be doing the job. It's kinda nice not smelling like a gas station everywhere I go.