Leaking Tickler

PBStrother

Local time
5:19 PM
So I put together a kit on a Murray bike and it works well, I've buzzed around and worked out the idiosyncrasies.

I delivered it to my daughter yesterday. There is now a puddle under the bike, a leak, from tickler I think, (which it never did before) I never needed the tickler to start it. She's about 50 miles away. Is there something she can do to close the tickler or otherwise solve the problem?

first off, you need to turn the gas off at the valve when you are not riding.

sounds to me like the needlevalve (in the carb) may be stuck.....or the float doesn't float anymore. (I've seen both problems)
with the tickler being on top of the carb bowl, the only way fuel should come from there is if the carb is over filling.

easy fix.
here's how the carb looks on the inside.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4854&highlight=magic+carb

The fuel shut off is shut off, I checked when I left last night and daughter checked today when we talked.
The story on this one is we bought it from a Harley guy who put it together. I presumed all Harley guys were gear heads. He was not. The bike was an uncoordinated collection of parts. So with the help of this group I got it running and running well. I took the carb apart and got it back together properly. I got it wired up properly.

So for some reason its leaking, from what I think is the tickler. My thought is that the tickler is a screw that can be screwed in and rendered harmless. Is that so? The bike is way over in St Paul (one needs to be from Minnesota to realize what that means if your in the Minneapolis side of the river). Anyway I need a long distance fix for the problem.

The tickler is not a screw is is just a rod that when is pushed down pushes the float down and allows more fuel to flow into the carby. I agree with Dave, your float is most likely stuck, misadjusted, or filled with gas. The fuel should not come up to the level of the tickler....

Hi
Please before you do anything close the fuel and opend the carb,turn it upsidedown. the problem may be the carb is so full that is Leaking

How I fixed my leaky tickler...

I had this problem with mine, and it cost me $.07 to fix by getting a screw from my local hardware store. I've heard many times on this site that the tickler is basically worthless :eek:.

IF it is a leaky tickler, it is an easy fix (again, IF it is a leaky tickler). Here is what I had to do to mine (thanks to the advice of wayde) :cool::

1. Take carby off, take the bowl off, and find the back of the tickler.
2. With a needlenose pliers, remove the cotter pin.
3. Then, remove the tickler (from the outside of the carby).
3. Get a 1/2-inch woodscrew (I used a size #8) and screw it into the hole to plug it.

See picture attached, and good luck! :cool::

Attachments

• DSCN0986.jpg
    DSCN0986.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Back