Carby lean it out more u think?

superbee

Local time
7:49 AM
hey, im going to adjust the carb, move the clip up one notch to lean it out, but for sh*&S and grins, ill ask for opinions.

My bike smokes alot, kinda embarassing. I know 2 strokes smoke, but this seems kinda ecsessive. That and the fact that when i run out of fuel, or I forget to turn my fuel on, when its just about out of gas, i get a BIG power increase, it revs to max rpm about as fast as a built sbc,

Does it sound like it would help leaning it out, or not. I do run my engine pretty hard btw

With 2 stroke I dont think running lean is the answer because of a lack of oil. Are you mixing too much oil now in the mix to make it smoke alot?

To lean is bad for the motor, even though it will likely run stronger. Some factors on deciding if you should lean your mix or adjust your clip. Are the color of your spark plug? and what is your current mix?

You could also switch to a high grade synthetic oil which would allow you to lean the mixture more "for performance" then a conventional oil and smoke less.

any recomendation on an oil brand/weight?

And by mixture, you mean, oil to gas not actual carb mixture right?

I wanna say this last time i put 6 oz oil with 1 gal, or a little less than 1 gallon of gas. Just cheap 5w30 penzoil oil.

I don't think we got this right ??

Just cheap 5w30 penzoil oil.

you are not putting regular oil into a 2-stroke ?? are you ??

we are sure that you would be using 2-stroke oil ??

as far as moving the clip one notch -- why not give it a try

takes about 5 min at the most first time -- watch closely as the parts come out

that little clip -- moved one notch -- can make a big difference -- sometime fun to see !!

MM

Last edited:
any recomendation on an oil brand/weight?

And by mixture, you mean, oil to gas not actual carb mixture right?

I wanna say this last time i put 6 oz oil with 1 gal, or a little less than 1 gallon of gas. Just cheap 5w30 penzoil oil.
Get the cheap 2 stroke premix oil from Walmart
and use Regular gas
Do NOT use premium

My Grubee 2 strokes do not smoke very much even on 7 oz to a gallon
break in mixture

How much $8 quart oil do you want to put into a $100 engine???
It won't make it run any better or last longer....

Use 4 oz oil to a gallon, 32:1 for a broken in motor

Why are you using 5w30 penzoil oil ????
Who told you to do that?
My bike smokes alot, kinda embarassing. I know 2 strokes smoke, but this seems kinda ecsessive.

Last edited:
hey, im going to adjust the carb, move the clip up one notch to lean it out, but for sh*&S and grins, ill ask for opinions.

My bike smokes alot, kinda embarassing. I know 2 strokes smoke, but this seems kinda ecsessive. That and the fact that when i run out of fuel, or I forget to turn my fuel on, when its just about out of gas, i get a BIG power increase, it revs to max rpm about as fast as a built sbc,

Does it sound like it would help leaning it out, or not. I do run my engine pretty hard btw

Your smoke probably isn't related to the rich/lean fuel air mix. (it could be, but let's set the oil issue aside for a second)

Moving the needle may help a bit, but after a certain throttle position - the mixture is much more influenced by the main jet. The stock jet on the lowest cost generic HT engines is about 0.70mm Consider buying or making a 0.65mm jet.

Now as for your oil, 4 stroke engine oil will work in an absolute back country pinch. But it will smoke, and by design has all kinds of additives which are not all useful in the combustion chamber. Get a good oil, mix it 32:1 and get back to us on the smoking.

My engine used to smoke alot, and i read that i needed 2 use a hotter plug. I installed one and the smoke went away and i got easier starts and the plug dont look so fouled anymore.

BSA

Don't try to solve the smoke issue by adjusting the carb until you have run enough proper 2 stroke oil at a decent ratio (if you are still breaking in, 20:1, some say 16:1, some say 24:1....I'd hit the middle) to make sure that 2 stroke oil is the only oil in there. Address only 1 issue at a time or else you will have a hard time telling when you are improving and why.

Once you have the right oil run through, then see what's going on. If you want to adjust the carb then, fine. Do that only and observe the difference. If you want to try a different plug, change that only and see what difference there is. One thing at a time!!!

As for leaning for performance- leaner = higher temps. good for power to an extent, but it's easy to tip over to too lean and too hot...then kiss your engine goodbye.

It's obviously up to you, but I would prefer to run richer (not too rich, but err on the side of rich) for the sake of longevity and throttle response (usually a hair rich with react more immediately to throttle changes) rather than ultimate top end speed which will beat the engine up.

Last edited by a moderator:

I love spad it is a cheap way to do an expensive hobby.

You are accidentally doing spmething called a pinch test.
I use it a lot..

Look here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205602

quote from the article
You can also use the pinch test when the engine is idleing. Pinch and hold fuel line with engine at a fast idle. Engine should speed up and die about 4 seconds. If it takes longer, your low end needle is too rich, if it takes less time or if your engine dies instantly, you are to lean and need to richen your low end needle.

The example is on a rc engine with a tiny amount of alcohol nitro premix fuel .
Your happy time has a much larger fuel supply but just as it is about to run out of fuel the test is the same.
You are fine .
It is just another tool to use to tune your engine!
This is on a much better engine than a happytime but it still works

I do put $8.95 dollar a quart oil in my busing happytime . The engine is on its second steel frame bicycle.
I use 78 percent synthetic oil.
20 percent Castor. and 2 percent Marvel mystery oil to cut the carbon.
Since first run until forever. LOL!
I live in the Mohave Desert, ambient temperature now over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I need Castor to live.

Make sure you use oil for an air cooled engine not an outboard motor.

Last edited:
Back