LED Christmas lights and CFL's suck!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arceeguy, Dec 25, 2009.

1. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Just wanted to rant a little about these new LED Christmas light sets. I can't stand them, and want to chuck every set I have purchased. Why?

1: Just like the old days, if one bulb gets loose, they all go out.

2: I thought these things lasted "forever" - if that's the case, why do they come with spare lamps and why did I have to use some after only 1 year?

3: Probably my biggest gripe is that they are DIM. They are not nearly as bright as the incandescent bulbs, and it looks funny if you have regular lights and LED lights mixed.

Looks like the future of Christmas isn't very bright. Don't buy these LED lights until they make them at least as bright and reliable as the "obsolete" conventional lights. Keep purchasing the old style so they keep making them!

And adding to my rant on new lighting technology, I also can't stand these compact fluorescent (or CFL) light bulbs! Seems that all the bulbs of new manufacture take 3-5 minutes to come up to full brightness, and for a lot of uses, this is unacceptable. For example, in a bathroom you turn on the lights and by the time you do your business and turn out the lights, the bulbs aren't even at 70% brightness yet. :shout: I have some older CFLs that come on at almost full brightness immediately. I looked into why the new ones have to warm up and found that the older ones used liquid mercury and the new ones use a mercury amalgam which takes longer to build up vapor pressure. (and light output) With the amalgam, they can accurately control the amount of mercury in each lamp to the point where they put *just enough* in to get the rated life. (or in some cases a lot less, in my experience) When your CFL bulbs start looking pinkish, look out - it means that it is running out of mercury and will fail shortly.

One thing they have improved is the CRI (color rendition index) of CFLs. You can buy CFLs that are warm white, soft white, or daylight. Some very early CFLs were "cool white" and looked just like the dreaded fluorescent lamps in an office building. So, if anything, there are great improvements in that area.

Oh well, Merry Christmas to all. I need to get back and find a dead LED that is taking out an entire string. :veryangry:

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I solved the christmas light problem long ago. I don't use them.

I despise the CFL's as well, for all your listed reasons and a couple more. Ever tried to put a spring loop ckamp shade holder on a small lamp with a CFL? Don't bother, you ain't gonna be happy. Ever stuck a CFL in a flexible desk lamp with a metal cone shade? They stick out past the rims of almost all shades, and glare in your eyes. Ever tried finding one that will fit in the lamp socket of your refrigerator, without sticking out far enough to get busted by stuff moving around, or preventing the translucent safety cover from being re-installed? Good luck.

Etcetera ad nauseum.