Left Hand Throttle or Shifter?

panmines

Local time
1:05 AM
Does anyone know of either a throttle or a rear trigger shifter that goes on the left hand side handle bar? The reason why I am asking is because I have a jackshaft and it is a bit tricky to operate the throttle and shift gears at the same time.

Does anyone know of either a throttle or a rear trigger shifter that goes on the left hand side handle bar? The reason why I am asking is because I have a jackshaft and it is a bit tricky to operate the throttle and shift gears at the same time.
Most twist shifters work fine on the left side, you just end up twisting in the opposite direction. I did this both with a derailleur set up and my current nuvinci drive.

My friend is using an 9 speed trigger shifter that has one for shifting up and one for down, it's mounted upside down with the gear indicator on the top and the numbers are upside down. It doesn't matter, once you get in the feel for the shifter you use you don't even care if it's upside down, your muscle memory keeps you shifting smoothly and at the right time without needing to see the gear. My indicator is facing almost down completely at the road, I don't need to see it I can feel the 'gear' I'm in and shift accordingly, and throw it to the lowest gear when comming to a stop.

Just use whatever you like that feels comfortable to your left hand keeping in mine the ability to use your clutch should take priority.

yes there is rapid fire shifters for both sides i had my clutch hooked up to one for a while it worked pretty good , cant find the exact ones i have but something like these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Shimano-Altu...410024?hash=item33bdf6f328:g:yP4AAOSwvg9XUFc6

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
yes there is rapid fire shifters for both sides i had my clutch hooked up to one for a while it worked pretty good , cant find the exact ones i have but something like these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Shimano-Altu...410024?hash=item33bdf6f328:g:yP4AAOSwvg9XUFc6

The left hand shifter in the link is a standard shifter for a three chainring chainset. Thanks for trying though. I think I am going to have to suck it up and live with it. I might try turning the shifter upside down like Frankenstein said, but the cable would be facing the opposite direction and would have to loop back inward toward the frame.

The left hand shifter in the link is a standard shifter for a three chainring chainset. Thanks for trying though. I think I am going to have to suck it up and live with it. I might try turning the shifter upside down like Frankenstein said, but the cable would be facing the opposite direction and would have to loop back inward toward the frame.
It loops back to the frame on either side of the handlebars. You should really see what I've got going on, 2 brake cables, 2 shift cables, a throttle and an enrichment (almost like a choke but different) and a clutch cable. That's 7 cables all comming off just one set of bars! It can be a pain to deal with, rarely, but it happens.. You might get 5 from yours depending on the set up.

The left hand shifter in the link is a standard shifter for a three chainring chainset. Thanks for trying though.

I think I am going to have to suck it up and live with it. I might try turning the shifter upside down like Frankenstein said, but the cable would be facing the opposite direction and would have to loop back inward toward the frame.
Handlebar control placement is crucial with shifters guys..
I have build over 5o shifters and the bottom line is the same for all of them...

Nothing more than a Twist selector and Lever per side.
Throttle and Brake on the right, Gear Selector and Clutch on the left.

Just say NO to anything 'Thumb Lever' selector, they are the 'Dumb' choice for anything jackshafted.

I'll often do this on either left or right
shifter.jpg

Handlebar control placement is crucial with shifters guys..
I have build over 5o shifters and the bottom line is the same for all of them...

Nothing more than a Twist selector and Lever per side.
Throttle and Brake on the right, Gear Selector and Clutch on the left.

Just say NO to anything 'Thumb Lever' selector, they are the 'Dumb' choice for anything jackshafted.
No, thumb shifters are not dumb, I'm sure you'll have a perfectly good reason why they are but it's better than crassius' version for a jackshaft, and better than some suicide shifters I've seen on a couple MOTORCYCLES.

I have used thumb shifters on my jackshaft, and used the duel thumb shifter on my friend's bike, they work fine if you are comfortable with the feel, and some people find them preferable.

Now, any attempts to use a thumb lever as a clutch or brake lever is what I would call outright dumb.

.....Just say NO to anything 'Thumb Lever' selector, they are the 'Dumb' choice for anything jackshafted.

Why? Not saying that you're wrong but just wondering what the reason is. I got a twist shifter for my build but that was for the cable pull. Triggers work fine on all my geared non motored bicycles.

Back