Legal technicality

As far as being part of the drive train my point is if the rollers off of the wheel its not connected to the chain, spockets, pedals in any way. At least mine isnt, plus theres no automatic clutch or manual clutch either. See where Im going here if you read most laws governing these things.

Hi darwin --- well I am always looking for a way out of this what seems to be at times GREY AREA.. Thought that you had something going on here - but I am not to sure... Roller is driving the wheel - just driving on another area of the wheel. My bike will idle at a stop without stalling - thus has a clutch.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

With my dimension setup with the honda 50 if you stop you need to raise the roller up or the motor will stall on ya. Im used to it by now and its cool, if you have to stop suddenly you just stop heck with worrying about raising it.

"Your honor, it is the state's burden to prove that the engine was actually powering the bicycle."

"Is the engine bolted to the bicycle?"

"Yes?"

"How long has it been bolted there?"

"Oh, several months."

"So you weren't delivering the engine itself anywhere, were you?"

"...well, no..."

"The engine was running at the time it was stopped, correct?"

"Well, yes, but...."

"And the truth is, it was not running just because you like the sound and smell, was it?"

"Well, actually, it was...."

"I don't believe you. Guilty."

Honestly, some of you people think that courts are not allowed to use common sense. They are allowed to put 2 and 2 together. What do you think the law is, some sort of game show?

If the engine is providing power to push the bike along, it really doesn't matter HOW it does so, legally. Whether it's permanently connected or not.

Heck, you could mount it on a backpack, with a propeller, and it would still be pushing you and the bike. Once you start using it to propel the bike, all you'd have done would be to have made yourself the (biological) motor mount...

Judge - may I please explain - I also wear the propeller to bed at nights - my wife swears by it - and also used to help me walk - thought that I could use it on my bicycle too ---- his reply - gulity as accused - and you had better tell your wife to GET A PERMIT FOR THAT THING !!! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Colorado Moped Laws
Moped Definition
A motorized bicycle is a vehicle with two or three wheels that has an automatic transmission, a cylinder capacity less than 50c.c., and cannot excede 30mph on a level surface. Vehicles not fitting the definition of a moped are classified as motorcycles.......
You guys are beating me up pretty good here but look at the law it says automatic transmission............I had a feeling I should have never started this thread.

here point is the drive train in not permanantly integral to the drivetrain of the bicycle, like a belt or chain drive is. We have had this issue a few time times here at DE(especially when pocket bikes took off), and every time we are not considered a motor vehicle. Thusly we can ride on "NO MOTOR VEHICLE" bike trails, so long as the engine is off. If they where chain drive they would be illegal regardless of engine operation.

If a cop wants to write you a ticket he will. I have talked to numerous policemen and they almost all basically tell me that if they see someone doing something they dont like, they will write them a ticket regardless if there is a law applying to it or not. So essentially if they dont like what your doing they will make up a law and let you fight it in court.

ok im a cop i stop you and ask what is that noise and why is your tire smoking? then what?

I'm sorry that this is my 3rd post in a row here, but this kinda gets to me. If I or any other friction driver said something about a gearbox spewing oil everywhere, or a belt drive smoking, we would get our reamed by augi or a mod for slandering.

I swear, everywhere I read(even in the "NEWB intro to motored biking") there is some unfounded generalization about friction drive and its startin to **** me off. I am unable to make write-ups about how friction drive works when it is done properly because I am the son of a motored bike kit manufacturer. Well I can, and plan to, but I have to jump a few minor hoops which is difficult because I only get on the net for maybe an hour every other day.

I dunno I may just be havin a stressful day but I still think this needs to be brought up.

Back