Let the fun begin, Mwuhahahaha!!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by unistarlx, Feb 15, 2012.

1. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

Hey, so I've finally bitten the bullet and am building up a bike. I've worked on bikes for years in shops and have seen many come through, but never got around to getting my own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's the plan!

[​IMG]

Gonna build it up with parts I have laying around for now, but the plan is as follows

- Springer front fork w/ Canti bosses
    - SBP Shifter Kit
    - SBP Exhaust
    - rejet
    - Avid SD 5 front V-brakes
    - Old school BMX
    - Moustache bars
    - NuVinci hub laced to Rhino-lite rims

2. perilous

perilous Member

I like that frame looking forward to seeing more.

3. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

Alright, so the troubles have already begun. The petcock that came with the kit doesn't fit with the small double top tubes. However, looking through pictures I see that many have remedied that with a different petcock. I'm not going to worry about it now though, because I just ordered the 4L tank so I could have a longer range. Also, the kit I bought came with the performance carb and it is too large for the intake manifold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like it comes with it's own petcock, hopefully that one will work.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  4. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

5. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

one of my many current issues.

Well, I got my kit from Gasbike.net with the Performance carb option. Here is the current intake issue I'm having. Both the standard and offset intakes are this same size. I searched the forums, and while there may be something concerning this, I couldn't find anything.

[​IMG]

6. VROOM

VROOM Member

You need a gasket. The carb I have uses a split plastic ring but I'm betting you can find a better alternative.

7. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

The plastic bushing got dropped as soon as I opened the box I guess. Found it and issue solve, thanks for the help!

Another issue I've run into, the clutch won't disengage when pulled. I pulled of the sprocket cover and it can't be manually pushed in either. I couldn't find anything in the instructions, and I'm hoping I've just skipped a step somewhere...

8. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

nevermind, I figured out the clutch problem. The clutch pads were stuck to the plate. I removed the flower nut and was able to pry it off. Now the clutch disengages as it should. Now onto my myriad of other issues like the performance spark plug cap being too large for the cable...and the electronics hookup without a wiring guide.

9. 72square

72square New Member

10. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

thanks! Just got the spark plug issue resolved too.

11. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

Alright, so I've been busy. I only have a few things left, being setting up the brakes, setting the ground, finding my old 6v headlight for the white cable, and still waiting for my Whizzer gas tank to come in the mail. I'm gonna see if I can go without cranks to begin with relying on flying starts instead (I used to race cyclocross competitively, so flying mounts aren't a problem). This is why I have those horribly ugly stunt pegs on the back for my feet. She doesn't look like much at the moment, but still got more to go.

[​IMG]

I've also considered scrapping this whole frame and going this route.

[​IMG]

I have all the parts, including the banana seat and sissy bars needed to build a bike like this up, I just need a frame. This was supposed to be a cheap build up, but it's becoming infectious. Now I want a Springer fork, SBP Expansion exhaust, and a whole different setup. $$$$$!!!

12. Richard H.

Richard H. Member

No idea where you're located but be aware in many places no pedals means you're a motorcycle.

13. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

Yeah, same law here. I won't be taking out on the road without pedals, but the job of this is to show the differences between electric and gas motor kits power without human imput for one of my classes. Once I start using it for commuting and racing, the pedals will be put on.

14. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

Frame fail

Well, just got the new Whizzer replica tank in and it doesn't work with the cruiser frame either. Felt down about it, but the decided it'd prolly be best to go ahead and get a better frame anyway since I was planning on really hitting some speed down the road.

After combing craigslist for a few days, I came across a mid 90's Mongoose mountain bike, pre-walmart good stuff. As stated before, I already have a banana seat (although flashy red and silver) and sissy bars (that reach to the sky). Get your laughs out now with this picture, lol.

[​IMG]

Another added benefit is this bike has brake bosses for the rear so I can actually stop this thing once it gets rolling.

15. sparky

sparky Active Member

1. I think the newer frame isn't worth laughing over at all. With some slicks (and perhaps new handlebars), that would look very slick!! :detective:

2. I wouldn't drill a hole thru the frame like you did on your first frame. This tactic commonly leads to a cracked frame. Much better to use a custom clamp of sorts to surround the downtube.

3. Take care! :helmet:

16. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

Half way though transferring everything over to the new frame. I'm gonna order my springer fork today and most likely finish putting it all together. Here is a rough look at a mockup.

[​IMG]

17. unistarlx

unistarlx New Member

Just as an update, I finally got the Mongoose frame built up, and it looks pretty...well...interesting. I didn't realized it was a more relaxed angled springer fork, but it turned out pretty cool looking. About 80% done.

[​IMG]

18. Ibstrange1

Ibstrange1 New Member

It is looking pretty good. I try really hard to ignore the little voice that tells me that my bike would be so much better if I added this or that. The voice that keeps telling me to get the jack shaft is getting really hard to ignore, and my only saving grace is that I don't have nice Shimano shifters, so it wouldn't be very fun when the chain comes off the sprocket.

I have heard many people say that it is best not to use the 6v light powered off of the little white wire, as it makes the bike run rough. Personally I think that the banana seat and sissy bars are going to look great on your bike. Have fun and ride safe!