License Plate --where to put it

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mark2yahu, Jul 20, 2008.

1. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

After a month, I finally got my motorized bike registration and one license plate. I have a Golden Eagle setup, so there's no place to put it in the back.
    Where else can I put the license plate?

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

you dont want my suggestion. mitch

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Has to be clearly visible from the rear, must be lighted by a white light such that it can be seen at a distance of (I believe) 300 feet.

You are going to have to fab up a plate holder and light that will let you mount it on the rear.

4. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

flat aluminum bar, then. Bend to shape. Wonderful. Thank you.

5. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Hi Mark -- I got interestest when I saw this post -- reason -- my Calif license plate should be in the mail ?? It's been at least a month since I went in and applied -- I HAD NOT PLANNED ON INSTALLING A LIGHT ON MY LICENSE PLATE !! I have been wondering where to put this thing when it comes in ?? Please let us know how the good old installation goes.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

6. stringer

stringer Banned

A license plate? Must be a Commifornia thing. Are they going to test your emissions as well :rolleyes:

7. eljefino

eljefino Member

I was in dollar tree yesterday and they have a cute little (white?) LED reading light that takes button batteries. Smaller and cuter than anything.

The side tube from the seatpost down to the rear axle seems like a common mounting point for plates.

8. Accender

Accender Member

I mounted mine on the side of the bike, then bent the plate to face the rear.

A

9. turkeyssr

turkeyssr Guest

I drilled an extra hole in the license plate so it would line up with 2 of the bolts that hold on part of the exhaust cover.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Hang it from the rear of the seat with tieraps.

11. Mountainman

PLEASE stringer -- do not give them any more ideas -- hiding in the lower mountains of Calif - with MB - at the end of long dirt road.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

12. Accender

Accender Member

LOL I just got that (I'm slow)

A

13. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

Hi Mountainman, I'm getting some really good ideas from the rest of the members here. Thanks everybody! It'll take a little over a month for your license plate and registration paper to arrive. Strange, but they assign your bike a VIN number (not your bike's frame number) and license plate number. It says to keep the registration paper in your wallet. I don't think you need a light on your plate; just that when a car's headlights shine on it, it should be visible from way back to 300 feet. I'm just going to use aluminum brackets. I'll show it when the plate's is on the bike.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  14. zipdrivex

zipdrivex Member

This is how I mounted my fake license plate, might give ya an idea maybe. I drilled out a bracket to go over the wheel stud and the nut holds it and the wheel on.

Attached Files:

15. dwsutton

dwsutton Member

Does Commufornia require non motored bikes to be registered and plates purchased also ?

16. Mountainman

Got my Ca. plate - with the Station friction drive unit - much flat area available - wooden light switch cover found in garage epoxyed to back of plate for re-inforcement - a couple of metal L brackets from the local hardware - more epoxy - done and strong.. I don't think that the pooolice see to many of these plates around - one pooolice officer the other day - gave it a long interesting look. It does seem like a good idea -- plate may keep them away -- hoping anyway.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

17. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

zipdrivex, for a minute i thought i was looking at a motorcycle! good way to mount the plate!

dwsutton, as long as it's under 50cc, under 2hp, under 30mph, without an automatic tranny, no registration is required. Mine can do a couple of the above, so I registered it to be on the safe side. And the DMV deemed it necessary. I'm cool with it.

Mountainman, do you have a picture of how you mounted your plate? I know the friction drive has lotsa room for a plate mount. Check out how i did mine:
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=147&pictureid=996

18. Mountainman

Mark - that's what I call A CUSTOM BEND JOB. Well done and it works - that's the main thing. I am not good at all with computers - plus ours is slow - so I don't think that I will even try to get a picture of my plate up. Not really much to see anyway. It's just mounted on the plate - sits just behind and under my seat.
    to dwsutton -- yes in Ca they at one time did require all bicycles to have a very small license plate - they were issued at local fire departments - haven't seen them lately - and don't really miss them. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

19. alex

alex Guest

You could make a jacket for riding, and contact-cement the plate to the back of your jacket, and have a head lamp on your head backwards (or mount one to your helmet) and have it pointing at your plate.:grin:

20. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

this is how I mounted mine.

Attached Files: