Life expectancy and reliability of 2 stroke engine

H

highrider

Im considering getting an 2 stroke motor fitted to my bike, the electric ones lack the range that I do and weigh to much so are ruled out. The ones available seem to be made in china and just browsing through the forum people seem to have various issues. I was wondering how long is their life expectancy and whether they are reliable? Any tips what to look for and what to avoid or experience you want to share?

I would suggest reading as much as you can here
I think just about any condition has already been posted
but...I do believe the consensus is that they will go 90% forever, but don't like to be run flat out
there are quite a few aussies onboard now and I am sure someone can give advice on who/where to buy from

I would suggest reading as much as you can here
I think just about any condition has already been posted
but...I do believe the consensus is that they will go 90% forever, but don't like to be run flat out
there are quite a few aussies onboard now and I am sure someone can give advice on who/where to buy from
Wow, 90% reliable seem excellent. After reading various threads here on things like how the bearing break when they go flat out or too fast downhill, the air/fuel leaks, carburetter too small, clutch too weak and installation issues etc, that has kind of scares me into thinking they are 'junk' since some say they dont last more a few months (hence this thread). Ok, So, a big flat out is a no-no and the major cause of failure.

A big flat out no no is true with any new motor. Bench test for Dax motors is 10,000 km. That is around 6000 miles. Keep in mind that is bench test. There are some guys that have over 8000 miles on their Dax motors. I only have around 4500 on mine.. But counting...Thanks.. Enjoy the ride..

so where on earth can you get a small motor course for $200.00 .you can read every post here..but the course don"t start until you have motor in hands ,,

and after you take the course you will be asked by many about ,, dependable ,,,and your answer in part will depend on how high your marks were when you took the course ,,if you only passed the test with a 55 theres a good chance you may say these motors are junk and gave me nothing but trouble ,,, however if you are a good student and your marks 99.9 you may say "wow "

the first time i took the course i only made 55
since then i upgraded and my marks are high 70 ,
if i can upgrade to high 90 like other members my bike should go 8000 miles with little trouble
,my advice is go for it ,,,japat

Last edited by a moderator:
so where on earth can you get a small motor course for $200.00 .you can read every post here..but the course don"t start until you have motor in hands ,,

and after you take the course you will be asked by many about ,, dependable ,,,and your answer in part will depend on how high your marks were when you took the course ,,if you only passed the test with a 55 theres a good chance you may say these motors are junk and gave me nothing but trouble ,,, however if you are a good student and your marks 99.9 you may say "wow "

the first time i took the course i only made 55
since then i upgraded and my marks are high 70 ,
if i can upgrade to high 90 like other members my bike should go 8000 miles with little trouble
,my advice is go for it ,,,japat
thanks for the input, I dont mind tinkering a bit or learning about engines. I intend cycling most of the time so hope it dont add too much weight and would only use the motor when tired, up hill and headwinds anyway, so it would be nifty.

The guy i bought my 2 stroke motor from is in PLUMPTON NSW, bought it off ebay. although the bike wasnt the best the motor were skyhawk gen 2. And his after sale support is excellent.

if you want his detials ill pm them to u.

I think if you buy a Dax, run it with a castor based synthetic oil blend, your engine will outlast your bike. The main problem I have seen w/ these engines is wrist pin bushing wear and Dax has solved that problem w/ a open cage roller bearing.

I have only had one clutch fail in 2 years and that was mainly rider error since clutch is not meant to be engaged from a dead stop.

If you buy a Dax or an engine from simpsonmotorbikes.com, you should be ok for a long time.

Clean air is more important for a 2stroke than for a 4stroke because it uses twice as much air and it all goes through the crankcase. Heavy bits of grit will fly out from the air stream and cling to the oily surfaces of the crank, rod and crankcase, to cause harm sooner or later. All engines need clean air but strokes need it more.

Back