Living in a state of perpetual adolescence

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fabian, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Now i'm not religious, but at least when society had a religious base, social structure was somewhat more healthy.

Men knew how to behave like men.
    Women knew how to behave like women.
    And there was a point where adolescence was shed in favour of responsible and mature behaviour.

No wonder western society is falling to pieces with less than perfect role models.

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-AU&brand=ninemsn&vid=a40d2508-80fc-43b4-b595-5d5e970bb664

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-AU&brand=ninemsn&vid=012eae4d-116c-4c20-8df6-2e1aaaa004ba

Fabian

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010

2. professor

professor Active Member

I see 2 generations having been told they are merely a product of evolution.
    In that mindset, with the constant barrage from the media of fear producing "news", people respond with a live for today attitude.
    The wisest man who ever lived said, "A tree is known by the fruit it produces".
    Fabian, you are observing the fruit of modern propaganda.

3. Hajuu

Hajuu Member

Heh it's ironic you should say that, having an avatar stating 'bless god, america'. Although you probably don't see the inherent issue with that statement.

4. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

fabian... this needs to be in the cc.

5. professor

professor Active Member

Very interesting, the nation whose concept statment by the founding fathers about man's inherent rights NOT coming from some king or despot's favor, is now considered inflammatory speech.
    I see absolutely no irony in my avator. I see DOING what my avatar describes as the only way out for our society.
    This really is just like Burger King (I have no affiliation with BK) we can have it our way, we may not like the destination though.

6. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

im not going to say much here because of the location of this post but... I agree with you professor. 100%

7. Hajuu

Hajuu Member

It's ironic because, though I am not religious, its the typical world view of an average american that they think they have the right to bless god, not to be blessed by god. Thus, cliche irony.

Haha, I just found it amusing anyway.

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Just out of curiosity, where do you live?

For your claim above to have any slightest veracity, you must either be an American, or to have resided in this country a reasonable period and interacted with a large number of "average Americans".

Somehow, neither thing seems likely.

9. Hajuu

Hajuu Member

Heh you're right, I guess it is a bit racist of me. However i'm not trying to offend Americans as much as I am trying to point out the irony of any person religious or otherwise making such a statement.

I'm sure Professor is a good person, and intelligent, however that doesn't stop his display picture being cliche/racist irony.

Not to mention being bad grammar!! heh, I joke I joke.

10. Hajuu

Hajuu Member

As for the actual topic, to me religions values are so embedded into the relevant cultures of societies around the world (relevant ie; the long term followers of one specific religion) that it has become a redundant sector of society in itself.

All our laws and moral values are instilled generation to generation with the ability of intelligent personal interpretation, without any clear need for a visible hierachy structure asking that we give them our money, and time.

However I'm also of the philosophy of 'do whatever makes you happy as long as you do no harm'. To me, charities are far worse on the whole than religious bodies. For example I once donated money to the red cross, a one time donation on the street.. They took my name and address and what not down and now I receive so much spam from them.. big, thick, colour booklets and letters galore.. I would estimate that ive recieved well over the $20 I donated worth of resources in spam.

11. professor

professor Active Member

Actually Hajuu, my avatar was a wall poster which was very popular here, right after the attack of 911, I REVERSED the words to show there is another side to being blessed and that is to GIVE blessing.
    That word means to favor, to speak well of.
    A thing we (me too) need to practice doing!
    Oddly, it is not even in the,"New Giant print Webster's dictionary" I just checked. Maybe it isn't odd after all, considering the current environment.

12. Hajuu

Hajuu Member

Hmm are you sure that's what bless means, all the definitions on google are related to religion in some vague way, nothing so general is listed. Which would fit with what I thought the word meant, but I could be wrong.

(1): give a benediction to;
    (2): consecrate: render holy by means of religious rites;

The closest definition I could find was:
    (3): the formal act of approving; "he gave the project his blessing"; "his decision merited the approval of any sensible person";

Even that in your context would mean you're saying that any sensible person should accept god.

Oh, and just for fun:
    (4): Bless is the third studio album by Swedish girlband Bubbles

lol!

13. professor

professor Active Member

So what did the girl band mean with their title?

I can't give my opinion on what any sensible person should do on this part of the forum.

I can say merely to look at the nations. Examine the core beliefs widely held, especially the historical ones ( the U.S. has gone opposite the beliefs the country was founded upon and held to until after the 1950s) and then examine the living conditions in that nation. You WILL discern the usefulness of the core beliefs in each one.

I mentioned the attack on NY. Prior to this, no-one here had any comprension of of such a barbaric, evil act done to ordinary citizens.
    A thought that was as far away in our thinking as Jupiter.
    Do you see the difference in the core values of nations?

Perhaps you will even discern the source of those values?

Whoah- heavy duty stuff.