ll spokes are loss and wheel wobbles side to side

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by 4wdingman, Oct 26, 2008.

1. 4wdingman

4wdingman New Member

on my bike all of my spokes are loss and the wheel wobbles side to side.
    Can i fix this? I might just buy a new wheel but how can i stop this happening?

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

if you tighten your spokes and straighten your wheel

everything will be right and tight -- perfect for

ride that MB thing

3. 4wdingman

4wdingman New Member

i know how to tighten the spokes but not how to straighten the wheel.

how do you do this?

Thanks

4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Straightening a wheel is more of an art form(plus u need a truing stand)
    Take it to a bike shop or better still find someone who does bicycle repairs from home...those sorta ppl are invaluable.

5. V 35

V 35 Member

Motorbike wheels take an awful beating, especially rag joint sprocket ones.
    Yankee potholes take their toll too. I have two suggestions ... One, upgrade to Heavy Duty Wheels, two, build up a second pair of wheels, so you can swap off, and re- true damaged wheels. Cut up a crappy bike for a wheel truing stand, buy a good spoke wrench. Slowly spin wheel, watch for deflection, when wheel deflects, loosen spoke [s ] on the side of deflection, and tighten opposite of deflection. Go a 1/4 turn at a time, it's an artform, practice on badly mangled wheels before screwing up not bad ones. With practice, you can do wonders !

6. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Take a zip tie, zip it to the frame so it will be at the rim. Cut enough off so you can use it as a guide. The zip tie should barely touch the rim. This will show you where it needs to be pulled in/out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a25vC5zsf6A

7. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Rims

I just replaced a rim that got messed up by chain coming off and binding up in the spokes.