LoBoy Fat Tire Chopper

Been a while since I've posted. I've been busy building electric bikes for the past few years. This one will have a motor, so I decided to come to the place where bicycle motor heads hang out. :bowdown: I'm researching 4 strokes and I haven't came to a decision yet on the set up. I have plenty of room so it will be easy to adapt.

I took it on it's first roll and it is perfectly straight and smooth. I have a single sided rear axle set up to show off the insane rear tire. It's my first try at a single sided axle so I had to figure in a lot of math and calculations to get it perfectly balanced.

First Roll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lctcd0rkW8g

Zero Steering Flop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alQKmadQsgc

comparetites.jpg

axle11.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/grauchosbikes/motored bike/axle11.jpg

user3358_pic8913_1301959930.jpg

frontfork3.jpg

rearB.jpg

side_profile4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
what good is a custom chopper with a quiet exhaust? (boring in my opinion).
that would be like putting quiet exhaust on a hot rod car.
that's a really cool looking bike, but what's with all of the horse heads all over the place?
sorry if i sound rude, but i'm just curious as to why you chose to put horse heads on a custom chopper....they don't go together.
you should also consider getting rid of the stock air cleaner and replacing it with something that's more custom. it just looks out of place since the majority of the bike is custom.
just my opinions...

what good is a custom chopper with a quiet exhaust? (boring in my opinion).
that would be like putting quiet exhaust on a hot rod car.
The local police are barely tolerating me with my bikes the way it is. I don't need any more attention from them or my neighbors.

that's a really cool looking bike, but what's with all of the horse heads all over the place?
sorry if i sound rude, but i'm just curious as to why you chose to put horse heads on a custom chopper....they don't go together.
What does custom mean? lol. I have a stitched leather seat, a stitched saddlebag and indian motorcycle logos. It's merely a theme.

you should also consider getting rid of the stock air cleaner and replacing it with something that's more custom. it just looks out of place since the majority of the bike is custom.
just my opinions...
Agreed... I took it out of the box, bolted it on and took the shots all within an hour.[/QUOTE

graucho

Graucho, your work is GREAT! Inspirational!
Thanks for posting... hope you give us more !!!
Best
rc

Graucho, your work is GREAT! Inspirational!
Thanks for posting... hope you give us more !!!
Best rc

Thanks for the support rc!

Here are a few shots with the rear tire off while I work on the drive train. I have many emails asking
how I did it. It's not that complex. A few pillow block bearings, some 1/4" steel and a 1" axle.
The hard part was the physics behind the frame to keep the center of gravity perfectly centered when
body weight is applied with the single side rear frame. I have the drive system from engine to jackshaft.
Now I'm completing it from jackshaft to rear axle. I also have the kickstand mount positioned and ground
clean. Also have the chain tensioner functioning. (I'll upgrade the tensioner after painting and reassembly)

mods1.jpg

mod3.jpg

mods2.jpg

Almost done with the drivetrain. Waiting for a 3/4"freewheel sprocket for the pedal side of the jackshaft.
After thatwith a few tweeks I will be taking it for a ride to fire up the engine and test the gear ratios etc etc.

Here's a few updates.

Adjustable chain tensioner mount and disk brake mount finished.
tension.jpg

Rear brake cable route, then through the main frame.
cable1.jpg

The clutch cable and throttle cable will be through the frame. (not finished with the clutch mount)
clutchcable.jpg

It's been a long time on hold for this build. I put this build on hold in June, due to prototyping robot designs with a
few past students over the summer to help them with their College year. Hopefully giving them an advantage with "hands on" in their engineering class.

I got the bike on the road with a lot of high speed frame testing. (Well... hi speed for a hand built bike. 35mph) I temporarily mounted a HT motor on the bike and drove the heck out of it for a week full speed. The bike will end up being 48V 1000 watt electric. I "did" wear a helmet for my weeks tests, but I didn't for my final short test video. Ha! no need to yell at me... I'm crazy, I know. The single sided axle tracked as if I knew what I was doing.This bike has perfect balance for the length, height, weight. Fits a rider between 5'10 to 6'4" Here is a short 3 min. video showing how it rolls. I will be working on it a few days a week now until its finished. It feels good to pull it off the shelf and blow the dust off of it.

Here's a short 3 minute video of a test run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr6nz9nAZzo&edit=ev&feature=uenh

LoBoy Fat Tire Chopper Bicycle

Its been a while since I've made a set pan. As stated in a earlier post I picked up a leather
stool seat that I want to convert into a bicycle seat. The bike will have a western south of
the border theme. This one took a little thinking since it's not your standard seat pan.
Nothing that a few measurements and a little engineering couldn't solve. We all like pics,
heres' a few.

Took a few measurements and cut up some steel. Cut a few grooves and
bent the correct angles to form to the seat.

seat01a.jpg

seat01b.jpg

seat01c.jpg

seat01d.jpg

Laying down the initial tack's
seat01e.jpg

Continued below.

Back