Locking motor to bike

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by darwin, Jun 3, 2008.

1. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Does anyone here lock thier motors to the bike when not in use? Im thinking that while the bike can be secured reasonably someone might just steal the motor. Paranoid yes but alot of $$$$ invested, I thought about using tamper proof bolts or even marring the threads on the end of the bolts but thats not the answer. Ideas or what are your thoughts?...................

2. eljefino

eljefino Member

If you have a welder you can sure screw up the ends of the threaded studs by melting 'em but of course the entire stud can be removed. (But you will discourage opportunistic thieves with these "mind games").

Road signs around here simply have the hardware smashed with a hammer, screwing up the threading. I would be concerned about accidentally busting the aluminum motor housing doing this with any vigor.

You could round off your nuts with a grinder but vice grips would probably still get them out. Of course you could grind new smaller flats on if you needed to.

3. Accender

Accender Member

I thought about that to. My kit is new and looks pretty!
    I used lock tight on all the mounting boltd snd am thinking
    about globing JB weld on the bolts so a wrench wont fit.
    You can chisel off the jb weld (fairly easy) for your own maintenance
    But no easy wrench off.

Im curious what others think to.

From the paranoid bunker.

A

4. eljefino

eljefino Member

Also if you had some bar stock you could weld a "bridge" between the motor mount studs; this would paralyze them from vibrating or unscrewing out and also thwart wrenches and sockets from really getting in there for a good grip.

5. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Security Screws

Darwin, There are security screw heads out there that have special heads that a normal set of tools won't release. That might be worth a try... but if I were serious about stealing one of these rigs, I would just bust the bike lock and steal the whole thing... Comforting ain't I????:cool:

6. Marktur

Marktur Member

I have a 5' chain...if they're going to break it, it's gone...but I will not normally be leaving it "hidden" so I really don't think any bad guys are going to come and dis-assemble my bike in broad daylight. C'mon, if you were going to steal this motor, what the heck are you going to do without the entire bike?

Paranoia will destroy ya... ;)

7. Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  8. eljefino

eljefino Member

If people wanted to be jerks they could cut up your wires and fuel lines etc.

9. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Broad Daylight

Quote "but I will not normally be leaving it "hidden" so I really don't think any bad guys are going to come and dis-assemble my bike in broad daylight"

See:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J7zb8YXrmIA

10. I park my bike by a light pole and connect my bike to the AC current by the plug.
    It's shocking.

11. brendonv

brendonv Member

I laughed so hard wen i read this one, good job haha.

12. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

zzzzap scooter huh?

13. Marktur

Marktur Member

Whoa! I stand corrected.
    My bike is parked downstairs, under my window at work, luckily...but I may pick up the shock-sensor.

14. GasKicker

GasKicker Member

My buddy had his bike stolen from the local library. Before he could call the poice, the police already had the thief in custody. The thief didn't know how to run the engine and was pushing it down the road. The police are accustomed to seeing my friend on his bike and they knew the bike didn't belong to this guy.
    Motorcycles and bicycles are stolen around here all the time. If a thief wants it, it's gone.
    Security is a real issue. I'll keep watching for some good idea's.
    Kudo's to DeLand's finest!