long distance motor bike

colby

Local time
6:51 AM
Hello Everyone,
I would like some advice on purchasing an engine for a motorbike build on a standard cruiser frame. I am planning on riding from Southern California to Oregon. I need something reliable, something that can handle approximately 50 miles a day, something that can handle weight as I will be traveling with a surfboard and basic camping equipment. Recommendations, thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. I plan on leaving late spring.
Thanks,
Colby

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for the response. I just checked out the engine that you recommended which looks nice. So this engine has worked well for you? I am willing to spend the extra dollar on an engine or modifications to insure a peaceful ride. Since I will be traveling distance a comfortable ride will be crucial. Any more suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated. I am also currently seeking a skilled assembler in the San Diego area.

Doable but a few questions:
How much weight, rider gear and bike?
How will you carry the board, will you use a trailer?
Why a cruiser?
How much pedaling do you expect or want to do?

Yahoo! Road trip!

I'd recommend a high-quality Japanese engine, be it Robin/Subaru, Mitsubishi or Tanaka. I'm partial to the Scooterguy chain drive and shift kit.

Fifty miles daily should be a piece of cake. Is it a flat route, or hilly? If hilly, more than one speed is recommended.

I also question the single-speed cruiser bike choice. If it's because you like the cruiser frame, you can choose one with 7-speed cassette. Pedal-assisting will help the ride. Pedalling while shifting also makes for a smoother transition between gears.

Are you carrying your board alongside, on the right of the frame?

Enjoy your ride!

Definitely Get Gears!

Absolutely get a bike that has gears. You will have plenty of climbing going up the coast and will need to pedal assist. Besides, there is the chance you will not be able to use the engine. Also you might run out of gas or the engine will break down.

I have the Robins Subaru engine with the Staton drive and have worked very hard to try and break it down. Usuccessful so far and that includes an 800-mile round trip from Orange County to Mammoth (10,000 feet) last year. I have no doubt that you can get to Oregon with ease, but do pedal when you can for both the engine's and your sake.

You will have a blast plus there are plenty of hiker biker camp sites along the way. You can get full route maps from an outfit called Adventure Cycling. They have maps for routes all over the U.S.

By the way, I have a log of the first half of the Mammoth ride somewhere on this site.

One caveat, though . . . I'm a little suspicious that the Robins Subaru is no longer available in the 35 model. Small Engine Warehouse now carries only the 25 cc version. I checked many places on the web and could not find it. Golden Eagle Bicycle Engine is even out of stock according to their web site.

Good luck!

Wayne

Thanks for the response. I have not estimated an approximate weight yet. I weigh 170, how much weight do you think a strong build can handle? I prefer to carry the board using a side mounted rack, something similar to these http://www.carversurfracks.com/csrmini.html however this is a bolt on system and I want my rack to be welded to the frame so I don't have to worry about someone snagging it. This is why I want to get in touch with a builder/assembler, someone who will sit down with me to discuss what it is I need. I will also be needing a rear rack for wetsuit, sleeping bag and small tent. I understand towing a trailer would be nice but I think I would rather stay compact if possible. I do not necessarily need to build on a cruiser frame I was just under the impression that this is the most widely used frame. Another member has suggested a bike with gears so possibly a mountain bike will best suit my needs. A road bike might be nice but I am not sure how those 27 inch and 700c wheels will ride with the weight I will be carrying. I would like to do as little pedaling as possible. I know some might be asking themselves why I just don't go with a motorcycle or a car. Well I just want to try this.

Hello 5-7 and thanks for the response. Yes I plan on carrying the board on the right side of the frame. As I mentioned to Happy Valley I would like to have these racks welded to the frame. In my last post I pasted a link to a popular set of surf racks that are actually attached to the seat post. They are an interesting and logical setup and they might just end up being what I use. I am starting to realize that a cruiser frame may not be suited for my needs as the path I will be taking presents many long and steep hills. However I am not sure if a road bike with 700c tires or even 27 inch tires will be able to withstand the weight I will be carrying so I'm almost thinking that a mountain bike frame is what I need. Patrick recommended a Robin Subaru EH035 4-stroke with a Staton gear box. Staton is selling them for $318 which is right around what I wanted to spend. I'm unfamiliar with a Scooterguy chain drive, can you give me more information on this. Thanks for the help.

hello backazimuth and thanks for the response. Wow you rode from Orange County to Mammoth on your motorized bike last year? Yes! That is awesome! Its great to hear from someone with experience. So what type of frame should I get, since I imagine a frame along with the engine should be my first and second purchase? And you are not the first one to recommend the Robins Subaru engine with the Staton drive so I think I will go with this engine, especially since you have already made the trek with it to Mammoth. I know that road has numerous hills, what percentage of your trip would you say you spent pedaling? I'm not sure if this is the exact engine you were talking about but Patrick recommended http://www.staton-inc.com/store/pro...ank_Double_bearing_clutch_housing-246-11.html Another question I had for you is can you recommend an experienced assembler in the Southern California area? I need to work with someone who will be willing to take the time and explain me how this small engine is working and what I must do for maintenance and to insure a safe and solid ride. Thanks for letting me know about Adventure Cycling, I'm going to check it out right now. Let me know if you come across the 35 model in the near future. I am not in any hurry to make a purchase. Thanks for the help.

Think strongly about installing an auxiliary tank, or replace the existing tank. I make it a point to remove the existing tank under the engine. Then I install a 4-liter peanut tank. I usually mount it on the top tube. That gives me a 100-mile driving range. The Robin is noted for even better mileage; you might get 200mpg or more. That'll let you search for a gas station every 3-4 days. With the stock tank, you'll be filling up twice a day.

Back