long distance motor bike

General motorized biking is one thing and pedal bicycle touring is another. Motorized bike touring is yet another type of endeavor though in large part unexplored with not of a lot of solid, experienced, opinion to go around. backazimuth I think offered solid advice, read over well what he wrote. (BTW, a side note, I've been told the Robin EHO35s are not going anywhere but supply interruptions might be experienced resulting from the disaster in Japan. Also, to date SEW never sold the EHO35)

I point this out because much of the info or advice garnered off of the web will pertain to areas of interest that you have adapt to your own needs. Generally motored bikes are made with little concern about how they pedal, are heavy, many want them just to go fast and they are often constrained by constant tinkering and parts failure and thus most don't put many sustained miles on them in a continuous run like in touring. They are used primarily for putting around locally within striking distance of home base for fixing when needed. Heading out on the open road is another matter.

800 miles is not excessive and your trip sounds like fun but it is also well within the parameters for misery and discomfort to be unwelcome travel companions. Since you seem to be willing to do some research and have scheduled your trip with some months to go, half the pleasure is in the planning. I'd suggest reading all you can on the web, the forums and bike sites. Certainly don't leave out the pedal bicycle touring sites, in a very real sense you'll find more specific info there about touring than the motor biking sites. I've done some MB trips around the range you are planning and have done some much further on pedal bicycles. My son just finished a Portland2Portland bicycle trip last month, Maine to Oregon. Be happy to share further what I know on this but I would also suggest a move out of 'introductions' and link this to a thread on the 'traveling & commuting' page and take it from there.

Hello 5-7 and thanks for the response. I will definitely be using a 4-liter peanut tank. It would be nice if I could find a purchase package with both engine and tank. Thanks.

Hello 5-7 and thanks for the response. I will definitely be using a 4-liter peanut tank. It would be nice if I could find a purchase package with both engine and tank. Thanks.

Check this guy out:

http://stores.ebay.com/luckyearlybird?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I never dealt w/him, so unsure of his reputation. However, he DOES sell 4-liter tanks AND engine kits. JMO, I'd just buy the tank, then look for the best engine/kit.

I am not a fan of Happy Time engines, so buyer beware. The last thing you want to worry about is if your engine will make the trip.

Choose your engine wisely. On my motorized bike, I worry about both chains, my Chinese freewheel, my pocket bike gearbox, my left pedal, one spoke on the rear wheel, tire blow outs, my dual brake lever breaking, a sticking throttle cable, etc.

The only thing I worry about on my Tanaka engine is that its pull starter will break. If I carried a spare, then I wouldn't have to worry about the engine at all!

cool thanks for the link. 30 bucks sounds like a good price for a 4 ltr tank. I might go with that black one he's selling. Sounds like you pretty happy with your Tanaka. Let me know if you come across any engine and kits that sounds like a good buy. Thanks again for the advice and help. peace

If you DO buy that tank, please replace its petcock with the one from Sick Bike Parts (SBP). The original petcock's port is VERY small. My bike stalled on the road once, because of this plugged valve. I was able to clear its port enough to reach home. When my SBP petcock arrived, I noticed that its passages were huge. It seemed almost as large as the fitting itself, and I never had a fuel flow problem again.

That is the kind of information I am here for. I would not have known that without your advice. Thanks I will definitely replace the petcock

Spare parts and tools to consider bringing:
Two mirrors. Mine screw into the handlebar ends. Slipped under the handlebar grip is the allen wrench to adjust the mirrors.
Your bike should have a front suspension fork and a suspended seatpost. That'll help you take less of a beating on the road.
My tool bag is that "green" bag from the grocery store. I've used it daily for three years, no problems.
A security chain and a security cable. I leave a New York FUGETTABOUTIT at work, because this 15lb chain is too heavy to carry daily. If my bike won't be outa my sight, I carry a cable. If it is, I carry a slightly lighter New York chain.
Bicycle chain and engine drive chain or belt, whichever drive you use. Cut it to the exact length you'll need.
Two master links and chain breaker tool.
Use two nuts and a lock washer on every bolt.
All the tools to turn every bolt and screw on your bike.
Tire pump, tire patches, two tubes and a folded-up tire.
Flashlight.
Bike lights and turn signals.
Protective gear. Motorcycle helmet and shoes, at least. I use helmet, boots, knee/shinpads, elbow pads, wrist guards, gloves and dirtbike armor. Some might say it's overkill, but that's maximum protection.
Eight oz of Opti-2 oil, if you use a 2-stroke engine, and a small measuring cup. For less fuss but more cost, carry 5 extra packets of Opti-2. If it's dark and you're tired, it'll be easier to mix the fuel w/oil packets. Sometimes you might have to fill a half-tank. The packet would be too much, so you measure your oil. I carry my oil in an 18oz aluminum fuel bottle in the bottle cage.

Riders w/2-stroke engines may cringe, but I fill up at the gas pump, and this procedure might work great on your trip. When you're running low on fuel, stop the bike. Shut the petcock and pour in Opti-2 oil. Pedal a block or two to the next gas pump and fill your tank. Then pedal for a block, stop and open the petcock, then start your engine. My engine has never complained about its mix, and the sparkplug is cocoa-brown.

Hi 5-7 I can't thank you enough for the words of wisdom. I will be using all of your advice. I really appreciate it. Right now I am putting together a list of mandatory needs so your timing for this post could not be more perfect. What drive do you prefer, chain or belt? thanks again

You're welcome.

I never used belt drive. However, I prefer shift kit and chain drive over single-speed chain drive and friction drive.

Chain drive w/shift kit is extremely versatile. However, if the bicycle chain breaks, you're dead. That's why it's important to carry one, maybe two spare bike chains if you use a shift kit on a long trip.

Oh, and google your planned route. Try to contact others, or at least read up on bicycle treks on that route.

Ride only when you can see the potholes, tracks and road irregularities. Adjust your speed accordingly. On strange roads, you just don't know what's ahead of you, like where the bike line merges/disappears right into the highway lane next to you.

On regular short commutes, it's best to find the shortest or safest route. Become VERY familiar with where the potholes and cracks are. There is one crack on King Street that never gets patched. I KNOW that if i hit that one, I'll definitely fall.

Be prepared and good luck. Don't forget brightly-colored rain gear.

Colby, couple of things. Since you don't specify exactly where in SoCal you will start from, hooking you up with an experienced builder is problematic. If you are in the SD area, I'd suggest you PM MountainMan on this site. He's a pretty nice fellow, and definitely has experience with motorized bikes.

Another concern is surf board mounting position. While the right side mount idea is workable, you need to think about the amount of "sail" area such a mounting will present for the blast of wind produced by vehicles passing you at speed. In addition, such a mount will limit your turning ability in emergency situations.

Since you don't specify your intended route, I'm going to guess that you mostly intend to ride US 101 and parallel roads in Cali, and 101 almost exclusively in Oregon. US 101 carries an enormous volume of traffic in SoCal, and from central Cali on north is almost purely hills - there is darned little flat ground along it. Once north of the SF Bay area, US 101 carries an ever increasing volume of heavy trucks, with large numbers of log trucks as you get north. Log trucks can blow a heavy motorcycle off the pavement, let alone a motorized bike, and they will suck you right under the load once the tractor passes in the right wind conditions.

I'm dead serious about that - I grew up in northwestern Oregon, riding bikes all over the state, and dealing with logging truck issues. Consider an overhead rack system with the board flat instead of the low sideways mount position.

I admire your gumption, and I am NOT trying to dissuade you at all. I just want you to be safe and make your ride enjoyable and fulfilling.

Back