Look at this!!!

This is my errand and grocery getter and if you look it has jag's cdi on it,its an earlier one with the jumpers and well it didn't do anything better top or bottom yet on the stock cdi and modified stock pipe nt carb ports and transfers just deflashed and cleaned up anyway it ran up to 60 kph pior to his cdi and now only does 50 kph with it and bottom end is worse also! so i wasn't to happy with it and took that off for now until i have more time to play with it!

Attachments

• 2015-04-30 15.11.18.jpg
    2015-04-30 15.11.18.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 111
One data point does not a graph make...
There are so many variables.
First it is pipe or port tuning that brings the need for retarding the timing.
With a standard pipe there is only a slight need for timing advance reduction.
It sounds like this box retarded the timing across the entire range. Not unexpected.
All CDIs lag the timing break, they have to. They cannot tell the future.

I have to confess I haven't used my curved CDI yet because I haven't installed a tuned pipe yet.
I had an opportunity this summer where i was able to detect detonation at 10,000 prm.
I did play with this a bit, experiment with higher octane fuel and head shape to determine it was indeed high rpm detonation and was able to get rid of it with these band-aids. I regret not putting the CDI on, but I broke a circlip due to the rpm and all experimenting came to an end.

So, try advancing your timing with an offset key and try the Jag CDI again?
If you are not battling blowing snow and -15c temperatures!

Steve

I'm dealing with -1 to 6c, just had to mess with my air fuel ratio on my 4 stroke. Heard 2 strokes are near worthless this time of the year, that true?

Timing on a 2 stroke defies what you learned on a 4 stroke.
More timing advance does help low speed torque a bit, but hinders high speed as the pipe comes on tune. Therefore the typical high performance 2 stroke timing curve actually trails into retard, instead of advance with top rpm. This does another magical thing. It drives heat into the pipe and changes its tune, to your advantage, increasing the rpm range of the powerband. The standard China Girl ignition is a nearly flat curve, hence the advantage of Jag's CDI box.

Steve

hence the advantage of Jag's CDI box.

--- I can attest to that.

Back