Look closely in accident picture. Do you see a motor?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mlcorson, Aug 25, 2009.

1. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

This happened last night in my town. They don't mention it in the article, but I think I see a motor. Have a look and tell me if you see a Robin motor? Rather they didn't mention it because then the article comments would turn nasty. Readers comments, in general, tend to blame the victim.
    http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=183428&provider=top
    -Mike

2. bigkat650

bigkat650 Member

It could be a motor... but it could also not be a motor. Its hard to tell from that small picture.

3. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I doubt it was a motorized bike. If it was, the news media would have made sure that it was in the headline as a contributing factor to the accident.

4. augidog

augidog Banned

it doesn't quite look like a robin, what seems like a yellow pull-start doesn't jive with the r/s's black&gold case...i tried to blow it up to see if that was a gebe-ring...seems there'd be some fuel with that mess, too.

whew...can you imagine that headline?

"Motorized Bicycle RAMS Truck" :jester:

5. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

This is certainly a much better look at the scene. I couldn't edit my last post.
    Appears there might be a motor there? Somebody more familiar with the setup might be able to tell now? The news don't edit photo's properly!

With all respect and prayers to family.

Attached Files:

6. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Here is my try, sure looks like an engine to me. My prayers to the family. :( We had a bad bike death on the Island this weekend, I always cringe.

Ed

Attached Files:

7. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

I just spoke with the police Lt. He said he can't release any information until the investigation is complete. Looks like the guy survived, but is in critical condition. Sure looks like a motor to me.
    -Mike

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I can't tell if that's a motor, or what.

My concern is the reported sequence of events - running a stop sign into cross-traffic isn't indicative of good judgment. I wonder what his blood alcohol level was? I hope he recovers completely, and gets back on a bike - using a bit more sense next time.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  9. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Just playing devil's advocate...people are quick to jump to the alcohol conclusion. Imagine a motored bike newbie, first ride, down hill, motor WOT, goes to stop for the sign and realizes his chain jumped and all he had was a coaster brake...tries to swing it around the turn, dodges one car, and smacks the other.

Pure speculation, but wanted to toss out another idea on the accident.

10. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Guessing it's an engine.
    Not the sort of accident anyone wants.

11. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Do you suppose the TV station is showing an attitude that says something like, "yeah, that's a motor on that bicycle. What does that have to do with anything?"

That would be cool.

12. jimraysr

jimraysr Member

Bike Crash

I couldn't tell either, but I know from scenes I have been on that paramedics leave enough trash to fill a truck. They rip supplies out of packaging left and right when doing their job, then jump in the ambulance and their trucks and off to the hospital. Looks also like he had a water bottle or two in addition?

Regardless, all small vehicles have to watch everyone else as most will not see us. My vets father was killed last year on his morning bike ride up the road at Wickenburg. He rode every morning for 30 years, slipped up one time and was killed when he went to turn around in front of a car.

I just ordered hydraulic rim bakes yesterday as my all up weight puts a major overload on the cantilever brakes. Normal stopping is one thing, panic an other. I wonder how many of us have measured our stopping distance at 20 MPH (30' per second.) ?

Ride safe, live to tell about it.

Jim

13. DJEEPER

DJEEPER Member

i dont see any fuel spillage...i think its just a pannier bag

14. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

tricycle with small motor added ??

don't think that the news or anyone else is out to make it look bad for MB's
    MB's have been around for a vey long time now
    and everyone knows that THINGS like this happen in life
    bicyclist, motor driven cycles - less than 160cc and motor cycle riders
    crash -- and are hurt or killed each day

how many die each year on tricycles ??
    would more die on tricycles with a small motor added ??
    yes
    just plain common sense tells us that

all in all we have not heard of that many serious accidents on site involving MB's

MM

15. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yea last week

I saw one of those new spyder 3 wheel cycles overturned on the road 2 riders hurt bad ... How the heck do you roll one of those ????
    They are like 2 inches off the ground....

16. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Anything will roll if you go fast enough!

17. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

flip over so very easy

those THINGS flip over so very easy
    when I first saw those that was my thought
    got to be very careful or the fast flip over a coming

as we ride those THINGS with two or three wheels