Looking for a gearbox to fit Titan 49cc and SBP shift kit

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by breaksalltherules, Dec 1, 2010.

1. I'm trying to use a Titan 49cc with a SBP shift kit but the thatsdax gearbox won't work with the shift kit and the Grubee gear boxes don't work with the Titan. Any advice?? Thanks

-breaks

2. ocscully

ocscully Member

To the best of my knowledge there in no primary reduction unit that fits the Titan that will simply bolt on and every thing will properly align with the 4-stroke shift kit. If you have the ability to modify and fabricate parts easily you might be able to get the Grubee 4G Belt Drive unit for the HS142CC motor to work? (Photo #1) Or perhaps the Dax 3.25:1 Reduction box to work? (Photos #2-#4) The issues I think you would have to deal with, with either of these two units are First The overall width of the motor and reduction unit. The Crankarms will not clear and Second the lateral alignment of the output sprocket of the reduction unit and the 17t left side driven jackshaft sprocket.

ocscully

Attached Files:

MotorBicycleRacing likes this.
  3. spad4me

spad4me Member

I do not know if I am answering the right question.
    Thats DAX sells a 5 to 1 transmission that fits the Titan motor.
    I use them to make a homemade shift kit.
    No jack shaft needed.
    Using sick bike parts
    The freewheel.
    Crank arms .
    and front sprockets.
    The Motor output must face the crank .
    The reversing 5 to 1 transmission driving a 46 to 60 tooth crank sprocket is usually enough ..
    Search for Detonator tuning solutions build
    or the Hawaiian guy

I usually bend ancient steel pedals with a torch.
    Lots of old bicycles in az.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  5. jbrazele

jbrazele New Member

Which thatsdaz gearbox will not work with the shift kit? Bummer because I wanted to do something like this later.

6. spad4me

spad4me Member

The 5 to 1 priced at $22.49 .
    Not the 3.25 to 1 priced at $39.99. This one says chain drive . It uses an internal chain and not the gears that you want in the transmission

http://thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_4.html

You will also need a sprocket I have bought both of nine from dax as well as sick bike parts..Dax sells an improved sprocket now.
    Some people prefer this drive sprocket.

http://www.fancyscooters.com/item00298-scooter-part-sprocket-type-i-55-12-mm-12-tooth.html

Some prefer 8mm chains and sprockets from ebay .

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  7. jbrazele

jbrazele New Member

Just so I'm on the right track.

Just so I'm on the right track. The 3.25:1 gearbox will work but the 5:1 will not?

8. spad4me

spad4me Member

NO you are 180 degrees wrong.
    The 5 to 1 gearbox is the one you want.
    I was not clear enough in my description

9. ocscully

ocscully Member

When this thread was started the question was about the SBP Shift Kit and the Titan Motor. To help clear things up. If what you want is the SBP 4-stroke Shift Kit (Photo #1 below) The Dax 3.25:1 Reduction may be made to work. If what you want is the Scooter Guy Type of Mount (Photo #2 below) The Dax 5:1 Reduction Unit is what you need.

Hope this helps?

ocscully

Attached Files:

10. Thanks ocscully, it does help. Is that a that thatsdax 5:1 on the Honda in the picture with the SBP shift kit?

11. ocscully

ocscully Member

No the Reduction unit on the Honda is the Grubee III Gearbox which has a 3.7:1 Reduction. I switched to the Grubee 4G drive for Honda motors in October which is a 5:1 reduction Unit.

ocscully

12. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

So, it is possible to use a Honda and install it on a shifter kit? If so, what, if any fabrication, did you have to do? Was the engine mount part of the SBP shifter kit? Please provide us additional info and/or pics. Is the Grubee 4G drive working well or is it loud, noisy, and unreliable?

I really wish someone comes out with an easy bolt on 4 stroke shifter kit with a reliable and quiet gear box.

13. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

Yes the shift kit will work with the Honda with no fabrication needed.The engine mount comes with the SBP shift kit.The 4G is very quiet.It has a couple of issues one being the oil lite bushing which is not a true oil lite bushing.The second being the clutch springs,which can be changed.Then it will engages like it should.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      208.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      224.2 KB
      Views:
  14. I'm running a 5:1 4G on a SBP shift kit (using 5/8" shaft HS motor) and will add a few issues you might see:

1), the clutch drum. The front gear is pressed on the drum and subject to separation when you least expect it. I had to get mine welded after much headache.

2), 3 chains and slack happens. Not easy to keep all of them chains happy without resorting to an idler on both the longer chains. Lacking any idlers, when any of the chains are loose you can get "drivetrain wobble", like letting the clutch out too fast on a manual transmission vehicle. Wommm wommmmm wommmmmmm

3), the mount. It can twist/tweak easily under high power in low gears. 'Keep it tight!' one might say, but that's hard when you have to loosen 9 nuts/bolts for second chain adjustment only to find the adjustment may be off upon tightening due to mount tweak. An idler is practically a must-have for jackshaft-to-outer ring chain.

4), the 30T gear supplied with SBP kit is, IMHO, too small for 5:1 gearbox. I'm using a 36T and wish SBP had a 40T. Gear ratios vary of course, but if you have a 5:1 gearbox I'll bet you'll be happier with a 36T or higher. SBP made the 4-stroke shift kit with 3.7:1 Stage III in mind, so keep that in mind if you're using a 4G. Newer 4G may have diff ratio.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  15. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Moto,
    Your bike is awesome. What frame/suspension is it? I'm glad folks like you paved the way and I think I'm going to make an identical one and I'm going to start saving up for it starting today. Please let us know if you develop any issues.

Knuckle, thanks for the info regarding improving reliability.

16. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

Thanx but I can not take the credit.OCSCULLY is the one who shared his knowledge and know how with me.I found using the shims between the motor mounts on the frame has kept my mount from moving and chains tight.