Looking for and wondering how to obtain sponsorship for worlds fastest motorized bike

dam phone, i can't edit the last post.

i'm positive i've never told anyone they couldn't or shouldn't. in '08 we chose to build small as the easiest way to break ground, clearly some will miss the point in that but we consider the effort successful based on our goals. now, for sake of discussion of the OP, if one asks how 2 similar vehicles with different sized engines compete, well the answer is "they don't" they split into classes and compete within the agreed upon parameters. anyone can bring anything to the flats, getting it there is victory in itself. and once you're there, you may find that what you think your entry is and what the officials think it is are not the same.

the other beauty of landspeed is of course that competing against oneself is common...for many, attaining a personal best is the motivating force.

my goals for my chosen class: 1-mile course, standing start, <50cc single-speed assist, 60mph. if one considers that most MB kits fall into that category, one can make the logical leap that it is within this realm that one is most likely to find MB sponsorship.

Last edited:
What about pedaling? Is pedaling allowed for a speed-record-related motorized bicycle run? I'd imagine it would have to be since these things are designed to be hybrid-powered, yes?

Otherwise you're really just talking about a small-displacement-with-awkwardly-placed footpegs motorcycle class.

now, these are the kinds of things never discussed before.

so, what you see is a 50cc system assisting a monstrous pedal-ratio...well then, that'd be interesting alright. prolly not much fun in full leathers and a snell helmet, tho.

i think it's ok for us to ride our MB on the track like we do on the road...pedal-up and let the engine take over.

voluntarily using a single-speed centrifugal clutch, i found i had to pedal up to about the .2mi trap before the engine had the load. apparrently i was still accellerating (slightly) at the 1mi trap. racing small has it's own challenges, i personally enjoy it.

so, imagine what set of specifications will attract the most father/son type entries...then imagine 40 or 50 different versions of the same "class" of motoredbike, all vying for precious tenths. now that's competition.

and makers will be watching, sponsorship will happen.

:cool:

Last edited:
I'm biased since my bike can't be ridden without pedaling, but i think pedaling should be allowed. I've had my bike up to 39mph on a flat with no noticeable tailwind, a pace I was able to maintain for about 3 miles. That was with 48/11 final gearing pedaling at 120 rpm (I can't pedal any faster) and a stock EH035 engine. With taller gearing and a fairing, it could probably do a bit more.

So I'd think classes for <50cc 2-stroke, and <50cc 4-stroke, plus a distinction between upright or recumbent, just so us upright-loving folks could have a class in which to be competitive :)

I'm biased since my bike can't be ridden without pedaling, but i think pedaling should be allowed.

as a non-expert with a lot of opinions, I would have to agree that pedal-assisting should be allowed since it IS a motorized bicycle. I wouldn't say that pedaling during the motor run be mandatory, but I would think/hope/assume that to maintain it's "bicycle" status, it would have to be at least capable of pedal-only power and be demonstrated shortly before the motorized run (if you want to get really technical about world records and such).

choosing a venue, then adapting

where we gonna do this?

starting a new landspeed event specific to MB's...not likely.

being welcomed into an existing pedal-bicycle event...also not likely.

adapting to an exisiting motor-vehicle event...i've proven that's doable. the motorized bicycle (petrol or electric) is welcome at USFRA's "World of Speed"...ok, so how do we adapt to the venue?

full leathers and a snell helmet are firm requirements for all 2-wheel competitors. not exactly ideal for a long pedaling demonstration, and the venue doesn't have time to allow this during the runs.

keeping within the very narrow (commonly accepted) constraints of <50cc single-speed assist/unlimited pedal configuration levels the playing field. if your entry conforms, you're in...pedal as much or as little as you'd like, but you only have until that 1mi. trap so i don't think it's gonna make a huge difference. but let's say it does. well, that means someone's actually been doing it, at least.

without a lot of rambling...the ones who actually show are the ones who'll be writing the rules for future events.

all i can tell you is what's worked up to now. anyone interested in "beating" my <35 numbers, well shoot that will serve to bring me and gebe back to the table to take a run at your new "record"...and so it goes.

pick out your favorite kit, tweak the engine only...see how easy it is for 2 participants to agree and compete? using minimal technical rules, we'll know in a flash if your entry is uniformly compliant. campers and tents stay for free 1mi from the gate. all you have to do is get there.

until we have participants, we can only go so far in discussing what we "think" might be good rules.

it seems to me that every major player offers at least one =/<50cc single-speed option, it seems they'd be looking to represent at something like this.

DIY setups purpose-built for the "class" would be works of art, tributes to MBlegacy, tomorrow's new product.

monster MB's, self-declared "unlimiteds" would bring the flair, wow the crowd, amaze your friends...bring it on, sounds like a blast!

dan at USFRA says "any bicycle chassis exceeds 60mph needs speed-rated tires" & actually has given us a loophole to having our own official designation, they already accommodate similar specialty groups. i say "fair enuff, i'll just stay small and remain a motoredbike, and make 60mph the grail" :cool:

Last edited:
Back