Looking for cheap sys. Wifes trike. Elec

D

Dockspa1

Man, I have been checking out all the electric bike sites recently and the prices have gone up a little. So far the best price I found for my wife was at http://werelectrified.com @ $349.00.
Any of you elec heads can help me find cheaper, PLEASE let me know.
That price was for the BL brushless 36 600 W. kit.
Apreciate any help. I have searched the recent threads here and are kinda dried up for input.
Doc :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, I see your point Dave. I do know that the brushless gets more miles per Ah so I will be leaning that way. Man, anything but a SLA battery will make your wallet cry.
Thanks for the PM Denny.
I'm not in any rush since there is snow on the ground. I know why I thought they went up in price, because a few months ago I was haggling with a china manufacturer and he offered a minimum of ten 36 V units complete with empty SLA batteries for 180.oo Ea.
These were brushed units with the thumbwheel throttle. I can't afford ten units for a hobby?

SLAs are the way to go Doc; - especially for a tricycle since it's easy to get the weight down low on the back axle and mount everything in place. My own tricycle has a brushless 24volt 250watt motor and even after almost 2 years of hard work it's still going strong. Most of the time I have the controller switched down to 200watt for use around town and it's quite happy with that. I'm still running on the original batteries I got with the kit too and I think the reason they have lasted so well is that I never let them sit around in a part discharged state.
$US349.00 for a 600watt 36volt kit sounds awfully good to me Doc and I think it would be money well spent.

Ya Sionelle, I am starting to agree with you and you should know. You are probably not a heavy person and neither is my wife. I wonder if she would get along ok with the 24 volt system? She is worried about getting stranded 8 miles from home and having to pedal the rest. With the 24 V, I could put an extra set of batteries and a knife switch between them so that she could just switch to the next set of batteries and go.
Just a thought.
Doc

That's a great idea Doc. I had been wondering about doing something similar to increase my own trike's range. I'm not a heavyweight myself, but I do haul all kinds of things like large bags of potting mix and compost, 3 or 4 old bicycles & etc about with my own tricycle so it's not just for joy rides.
The guy I purchased my kit from has always been interested in how I'm getting on with my tricycle and he did actually offer me a 500watt kit at a good discount, but I haven't really felt the need for more power than I've already got so I've left a rain check on it for the moment.

With the 24 V, I could put an extra set of batteries and a knife switch between them so that she could just switch to the next set of batteries and go.

1) You get more range if you just hook them up in parallel. Using one at a time doubles the current and quadruples the losses in the system.

2) Don't use a knife switch! The first time you drop a screwdriver on it you might get some fireworks - and your wife might be really hurting if she wears rings and touches the wrong part of the switch. There are lots of good toggle switches and circuit breakers out there. Using two 20A (or whatever) breakers gives you protection and the ability to use either (or both) batteries.

Bill, it would be 2 - 12V batteries and a switch of any kind that can handle the amps inbetween the next set of 12 volters. I do agree that the knife switch in it's open state can be dangerous, even mounted on the bars.
On the bright side my wife insurance is up to par! Har Har!
Doc

Bill, it would be 2 - 12V batteries and a switch of any kind that can handle the amps inbetween the next set of 12 volters.

In that case, just use two SPST switches; that allows both to be used together or each to be used separately.

Bill, for this amount of amps it can't be any standard single pole single throw could it?
Would probably be more like a box disconnect throw huh?
Doc

Back