Looking for cheap sys. Wifes trike. Elec

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by Dockspa1, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Man, I have been checking out all the electric bike sites recently and the prices have gone up a little. So far the best price I found for my wife was at http://werelectrified.com @ $349.00.
    Any of you elec heads can help me find cheaper, PLEASE let me know.
    That price was for the BL brushless 36 600 W. kit.
    Apreciate any help. I have searched the recent threads here and are kinda dried up for input.
    Doc :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Doc,
    honestly, that does not look like a bad price, provided the batteries are included. there is WAY more expensive set ups out there. Shoot, this price wouldn't even buy the batteries.
    http://electricrider.com/crystalyte/sparrow.htm
    check out the sparrow.....and the battery upgrade on the 4825 model

3. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Ya, I see your point Dave. I do know that the brushless gets more miles per Ah so I will be leaning that way. Man, anything but a SLA battery will make your wallet cry.
    Thanks for the PM Denny.
    I'm not in any rush since there is snow on the ground. I know why I thought they went up in price, because a few months ago I was haggling with a china manufacturer and he offered a minimum of ten 36 V units complete with empty SLA batteries for 180.oo Ea.
    These were brushed units with the thumbwheel throttle. I can't afford ten units for a hobby?

4. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

SLAs are the way to go Doc; - especially for a tricycle since it's easy to get the weight down low on the back axle and mount everything in place. My own tricycle has a brushless 24volt 250watt motor and even after almost 2 years of hard work it's still going strong. Most of the time I have the controller switched down to 200watt for use around town and it's quite happy with that. I'm still running on the original batteries I got with the kit too and I think the reason they have lasted so well is that I never let them sit around in a part discharged state.
    $US349.00 for a 600watt 36volt kit sounds awfully good to me Doc and I think it would be money well spent.

5. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Ya Sionelle, I am starting to agree with you and you should know. You are probably not a heavy person and neither is my wife. I wonder if she would get along ok with the 24 volt system? She is worried about getting stranded 8 miles from home and having to pedal the rest. With the 24 V, I could put an extra set of batteries and a knife switch between them so that she could just switch to the next set of batteries and go.
    Just a thought.
    Doc

6. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

That's a great idea Doc. I had been wondering about doing something similar to increase my own trike's range. I'm not a heavyweight myself, but I do haul all kinds of things like large bags of potting mix and compost, 3 or 4 old bicycles & etc about with my own tricycle so it's not just for joy rides.
    The guy I purchased my kit from has always been interested in how I'm getting on with my tricycle and he did actually offer me a 500watt kit at a good discount, but I haven't really felt the need for more power than I've already got so I've left a rain check on it for the moment.

7. billvon

billvon Guest

1) You get more range if you just hook them up in parallel. Using one at a time doubles the current and quadruples the losses in the system.

2) Don't use a knife switch! The first time you drop a screwdriver on it you might get some fireworks - and your wife might be really hurting if she wears rings and touches the wrong part of the switch. There are lots of good toggle switches and circuit breakers out there. Using two 20A (or whatever) breakers gives you protection and the ability to use either (or both) batteries.

8. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Bill, it would be 2 - 12V batteries and a switch of any kind that can handle the amps inbetween the next set of 12 volters. I do agree that the knife switch in it's open state can be dangerous, even mounted on the bars.
    On the bright side my wife insurance is up to par! Har Har!
    Doc

9. billvon

billvon Guest

In that case, just use two SPST switches; that allows both to be used together or each to be used separately.

10. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Bill, for this amount of amps it can't be any standard single pole single throw could it?
    Would probably be more like a box disconnect throw huh?
    Doc

11. billvon

billvon Guest

Digi-Key sells 30 and 50 amp toggle switches. If you get a 30 amp DPDT switch and double up on the poles, it's good for 60 amps. Just don't switch it under load! I have used the NKK S-823 for this application before. (about $20)

They also sell DIN-mount circuit breakers good up to 50 amps. These make good switches as well and have the added advantage of circuit protection. They're also around $20.

12. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Ya, I guess if I have to stop to throw the switch then I could just as well put quick clips on and just switch the battery banks manually. Hey, save dime ya know.
    Doc

13. Greenblazer

Greenblazer Guest

Hey Dockspa1,

My Green Fuzzy Chopper used a 250W 24V system from the Sting Ray Electric. The motor was intended for kids, but it hauled my 225LB self around for an amazingly long time at a blazingly fast 14MPH using two 35AH SLA wheelchair batteries. I never got a chance to test it's actual range before it was stolen, but I did take it for a ride one day that was at least 14 miles, and it was still going strong. I'm pretty sure I put more miles on it during other rides, but I didn't keep track. If your wife's commute is 8 miles each way I am positive that the set up would do it round trip without charging, but it would be better to charge it at work if possible. A 250W set up might get your price down, but I don't know where to buy one. To get mine I bought a complete new in box bicycle from Amazon.com for $420.00 including shipping.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

14. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Wow, Al
    35 Ahs is phenominal. These batteries are SLA no doubt and cumbersom but with a trike and the distance they achieve, it is well worth it.
    so it was 2- 24 V wheelchair batteries and no doubt they were Deep cycle batteries.
    Gotta investigat and thanks Allan
    Doc

15. Greenblazer

Greenblazer Guest

Dockspa1,

No, two 12V 35AH wheelchair batteries(2x12=24). Yes they were deep cycle, and they were heavy, but on a three wheeler it wouldn't be that noticable.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

16. Greenblazer

Greenblazer Guest

The batteries came from the local batteries plus, and are almost the size of the smallest car battery.

17. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Ya Allen, I meant 2-12V batteries.
    Your not related to Allen GREENspan are you. Teh hee.
    Thanks
    doc

18. Greenblazer

Greenblazer Guest

Dockspa1,

No relation, but I have responded to those who mistakenly called me that.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

19. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

No Response Required :shock::smile:
    Allan, what do those electeric wheel chair batteries run, dollar wise?
    Doc

20. Greenblazer

Greenblazer Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2007