Looking for cheap sys. Wifes trike. Elec

Bill, for this amount of amps it can't be any standard single pole single throw could it?

Digi-Key sells 30 and 50 amp toggle switches. If you get a 30 amp DPDT switch and double up on the poles, it's good for 60 amps. Just don't switch it under load! I have used the NKK S-823 for this application before. (about $20)

They also sell DIN-mount circuit breakers good up to 50 amps. These make good switches as well and have the added advantage of circuit protection. They're also around $20.

Ya, I guess if I have to stop to throw the switch then I could just as well put quick clips on and just switch the battery banks manually. Hey, save dime ya know.
Doc

Hey Dockspa1,

My Green Fuzzy Chopper used a 250W 24V system from the Sting Ray Electric. The motor was intended for kids, but it hauled my 225LB self around for an amazingly long time at a blazingly fast 14MPH using two 35AH SLA wheelchair batteries. I never got a chance to test it's actual range before it was stolen, but I did take it for a ride one day that was at least 14 miles, and it was still going strong. I'm pretty sure I put more miles on it during other rides, but I didn't keep track. If your wife's commute is 8 miles each way I am positive that the set up would do it round trip without charging, but it would be better to charge it at work if possible. A 250W set up might get your price down, but I don't know where to buy one. To get mine I bought a complete new in box bicycle from Amazon.com for $420.00 including shipping.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

Wow, Al
35 Ahs is phenominal. These batteries are SLA no doubt and cumbersom but with a trike and the distance they achieve, it is well worth it.
so it was 2- 24 V wheelchair batteries and no doubt they were Deep cycle batteries.
Gotta investigat and thanks Allan
Doc

Dockspa1,

No, two 12V 35AH wheelchair batteries(2x12=24). Yes they were deep cycle, and they were heavy, but on a three wheeler it wouldn't be that noticable.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

The batteries came from the local batteries plus, and are almost the size of the smallest car battery.

Ya Allen, I meant 2-12V batteries.
Your not related to Allen GREENspan are you. Teh hee.
Thanks
doc

Dockspa1,

No relation, but I have responded to those who mistakenly called me that.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

No Response Required :eek::)
Allan, what do those electeric wheel chair batteries run, dollar wise?
Doc

Back