looking for clear images of a Steffey motorcycle

cycles-past

Local time
12:52 PM
Hello
scott here from Vermont
I am looking for some clear images to be used in a Historical documentary on the early days of motorcycle in America
If anyone would like to help,please let me know
I am looking for photo's of early makes such as the Steffey,Morgan,and the Orient,Also any other 1900-1905 makes as well as early endurance,races board track/dirt track events
Also info on the Federation of American motorcyclists,especially the first year,photo's and info and the last years 1818-19
I also am putting together a list with photo's of all the board tracksand motordromes in America
thank you
-scott
cyclespast@vermontel.net

Scott, I have tried to study Steffey motorcycles and info is hard to find. Don't trust any modern photos of "restored" Steffeys, first they were bicycle add on motor kits like a Shaw or later Whizzer, so ther is no "stock" Steffey motorcycle. A lot of the museum bikes I have seen are built up from possibly Sprywheel garden tractor engines from the teens, they are nearly identical engines and probably made by the same foundry. also these "restorations" are using Whizzer rear sheaves, which are way way too small, it should be nearly as big as the wheel rim. Granted they are beautiful machines in a museum...but they would never work. I'll try to round up some stuff I have and try and post it.

....Bob

Here's some photo's I screen captured from a Ebay auction a few years ago (not mine)...

Based on the comments above about the use of Whizzer sheaves I can't vouch for the authenticity of the rest of it but perhaps someone else can?

In any regard I hope it helps!

-Kirk

Attachments

• Steffey 2 .jpg
    Steffey 2 .jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 847
  • Steffey 3 .jpg
    Steffey 3 .jpg
    193 KB · Views: 784
  • Steffey 4 .jpg
    Steffey 4 .jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 912
  • Steffey 1 .jpg
    Steffey 1 .jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 853
Last edited by a moderator:
I found some old photos that I know are true Steffey, The main differences from a Spry Wheel are that the drive pulley is on the right hand side, the same as the pedal crank, and the exaust comes out at an angle so to miss the bike's down tube,the timer is very slim to be out of the way of cranks, and legs, etc. I also have some copies of Steffey ads and it appears the two stroke engines were much later like around the 1920's everything around 1900 were four stroke. I'll post these when I get a chance.

....Bob

Attachments

• steffey1.jpg
    steffey1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 924
  • steffey2.jpg
    steffey2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,001
Back