looking for clear images of a Steffey motorcycle

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by cycles-past, Feb 13, 2010.

1. cycles-past

cycles-past New Member

Hello
    scott here from Vermont
    I am looking for some clear images to be used in a Historical documentary on the early days of motorcycle in America
    If anyone would like to help,please let me know
    I am looking for photo's of early makes such as the Steffey,Morgan,and the Orient,Also any other 1900-1905 makes as well as early endurance,races board track/dirt track events
    Also info on the Federation of American motorcyclists,especially the first year,photo's and info and the last years 1818-19
    I also am putting together a list with photo's of all the board tracksand motordromes in America
    thank you
    -scott
    cyclespast@vermontel.net

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

3. Whizzerd

Whizzerd Member

Check out www.theworldofmotorcycles.com for nice pics & info on the Orient and Metz and Waltham Co.. Waltham made more than clocks/watches. Their Orient would be an awesome MB IMO.

4. Scott, I have tried to study Steffey motorcycles and info is hard to find. Don't trust any modern photos of "restored" Steffeys, first they were bicycle add on motor kits like a Shaw or later Whizzer, so ther is no "stock" Steffey motorcycle. A lot of the museum bikes I have seen are built up from possibly Sprywheel garden tractor engines from the teens, they are nearly identical engines and probably made by the same foundry. also these "restorations" are using Whizzer rear sheaves, which are way way too small, it should be nearly as big as the wheel rim. Granted they are beautiful machines in a museum...but they would never work. I'll try to round up some stuff I have and try and post it.

....Bob

5. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Member

Here's some photo's I screen captured from a Ebay auction a few years ago (not mine)...

Based on the comments above about the use of Whizzer sheaves I can't vouch for the authenticity of the rest of it but perhaps someone else can?

In any regard I hope it helps!

-Kirk

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  6. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Member

More...

Attached Files:

7. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Member

More...

Attached Files:

8. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Member

Some more...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  9. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Member

The last of them...

-Kirk

Attached Files:

10. I found some old photos that I know are true Steffey, The main differences from a Spry Wheel are that the drive pulley is on the right hand side, the same as the pedal crank, and the exaust comes out at an angle so to miss the bike's down tube,the timer is very slim to be out of the way of cranks, and legs, etc. I also have some copies of Steffey ads and it appears the two stroke engines were much later like around the 1920's everything around 1900 were four stroke. I'll post these when I get a chance.

....Bob

Attached Files:

11. Ok here's the Steffey ad and the envelope it came in with the date of 1928! and the early four cycle ad from a gas engine history book of mine. I have more I just need to scan them.

......Bob

Attached Files:

12. dbw

dbw New Member

from literature provided by the old boat motor guys, steffey produced both 2 and 4 cycle engines for marine use quite early on..they were small [1-2hp] singles and were noteworthy in that not many air-cooled inboards were made...my research shows the philly made steffey was mfg from 1903 while the similar but later sprymotor was made by horace dodge..a big-time boat guy making tractor motors of all things!!

while similar, the two motors have differences that can easily be seen..the steffey has the pulley drive and the timer quite close to the crankcase..the 4 screws that hold down the cylinder are twisted a few degrees off center to rotate the ports off center...the crankcase sides are smooth with no small lugs at 10 and 2 o'clock...the entire unit seems to be held together with 1/4 -20 round head screws!..the whole engine is very primitive. i think there were kits, however an ad in the 1903 "motor age" shows a complete bike available.[ as with other old stuff i have worked with, often the print ads don't reflect the reality of the time-re the whole shaw motor thing]

the sprymotor, besides the giveaway mounting lugs has the cylinder 90 degrees to the crankshaft...and held down with studs and 1/4-28 nuts..the cylinder has 2 tapped holes next to the sparkplug [while the steffey has 4]. both the flatbelt pulley and the timer are placed about 1 1/2 inches outboard of the crankcase as they needed to clear the angle-iron frame that the lugs sat on.often they have a propriatary odd tapered muffler with a mounting lug cast on..quite heavy and agricultural.

if one is luckey enough to have an unmolested sprymotor, they made their own mixer with their name on it..the steffey seemed to use a standard 1/2 inch lunkenheimer left or right hand unit...any other stuff i might add, please let me know...dave

13. pedal4416

pedal4416 New Member

Hi, The bikes you see in the museums are my old bikes. The whizzer sheave is just easier to find and you dont have to drill holes in your wood rims to use it. On the next 2 steffeys I am going to try and use the correct sheave.

14. dbw

dbw New Member

guys;

find "the automobile review" april 15, 1903, page 146...[do a little digging on line]...it has a nice photo of a factory delivered steffey motorcycle...tho still a clip-on unit this turn key is what you could buy in 1903.

and as an additional treat, the motor is not where you think it is....