Loop around Oahu trip

Hawaii_Ed

Local time
8:47 AM
My good friend 5-7 Heaven and I are planning a motored bike trip around the Island of Oahu. I routed it on google, and it is right at 130 miles around the perimeter. The very northwest tip of the island is a nature preserve, and it had a rough jeep trail around the tip. Years ago a big chunk washed out, and they have left it unimproved to limit vehicle traffic. Hikers and mountain bikers take it all the time. Because of this, most vehicle and bikers take a route sorta up the western 2/3 of the island if they do a loop, and they do not take the costal road up the west.

We wanted to try and stick to the perimeter if possible, so today my son and I took my 4x4 truck up for a scouting trip. We drove until the road ended, and even though we could have driven further with the truck, we hiked the two miles to the point.

I think it is passable with our bikes. We will have to portage the washout, but I think with a two person carry it will be possible to make it around the point. What fun is an adventure in there is no challenge in it? :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvwPnWHKpCg
This is a video of my son hiking the part we wil have to carry through.

Road approaching the point near Makaha (famous surf spot)

On the point

Much of the road looks like this

Richard is fearless!

Richard on the trail

No motors

End of the road

Trail

The big washout, looking north[/QUOTE]

Great shots, man!

Before the big ride, Ed and I will be doing tuneup runs. One leg will take us 32.55 miles eastward, from Ewa Beach through Waikiki to Hanauma Bay.

Another ride will take us 29.7 miles north, past Schofield Barracks and Waimea Bay.

We could also do a 20.2 mile western ride from Ewa Beach to Makaha Beach.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK you must halt all such postings.

Cease and desist.

STOPPPPITTTT!!!! No MORE pictures. No more trips around the island with loved ones and girls in swim suits. No more dirt roads just longing for MB's.....

Especially when Ghost0 (Jim!) is loafing up in the woods and I have to run the show by myself. I haven't even thrown my leg over my bike in a week.....:cry::sick::rolleyes::unsure: :rolleyes:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :geek:

that will be some fine riding
will you be passing by Pearl City ??
lived there when I was a kid --------------------- sweet !!
MM

Yes, we'll pass thru a two-mile section near Pearl Harbor enroute east towards Waikiki.

The mile-long corridor from Waipahu linking Pearl City is hazardous. It is plagued by crosswinds and anxious motorists trying to get off and on the freeway.

The first leg from Kapolei to Nanakuli will be the most challenging. Drivers are coming off the freeway at 60mph and merging into a four-lane highway. However, the shoulder is wide so we should be safe.:geek:

Is there a reasonably priced ferry service that hops around other islands?

With those newer MBers joining up, you folks might get a group rate and do some never before done touring and camping.

Is there a reasonably priced ferry service that hops around other islands?

With those newer MBers joining up, you folks might get a group rate and do some never before done touring and camping.

There was a superferry to Maui that was great, but politics shut it down, and it looks like it will not be coming back :(

Pablo, I've gotta get that expansion pipe and a few more bolt-ons since I need to keep up with that dual engine dragon lady :) This would not be possible in my mind without the shift kit. :cool: It is a quick hop for you guys, and I have a spare couch :)

There is a bike path through Pearl City, but 5-7 is a nail magnet for some reason, and prefers main roads.

Tuneup Rides

Last week Hawaii Ed and I rode from Waipahu to Sandy Beach, cruising through downtown Honolulu and Waikiki, a distance of maybe 40 miles roundtrip.

Tomorrow Ed and I will head north to Mokuleia and Dillingham Ranch, a 60-mile roundtrip for me. This is where that washed-out road at Kaena Point connects West Oahu with the North Shore.

These are tuneup runs prior to the 130-mile ride around the island within a few weeks.

OK you must halt all such postings.

Cease and desist.

STOPPPPITTTT!!!! No MORE pictures. No more trips around the island with loved ones and girls in swim suits. No more dirt roads just longing for MB's.....

Especially when Ghost0 (Jim!) is loafing up in the woods and I have to run the show by myself. I haven't even thrown my leg over my bike in a week.....:cry::sick::rolleyes::unsure: :rolleyes:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :geek:
Just think, Pablo, I'm here and still can't join them. Still got too much to catch up on from being sick the past 5 weeks.

Hey, why dontcha come visit and bring me a shift kit so I can save on the shipping. :giggle: Nah, I'll be ordering a kit as soon as our finances stabilize. Got a Vegas trip planned for October and gotta make sure we have enough play money first. :D

If we have enough left, you'll be getting a call. I'm going to need all the help I can get if I want to keep up with the Dragon Lady. :D

Back