Loop around Oahu trip

Today was quite the trip! We planned on just rolling up to the northshore, but then went over to kaena point to check it out. Once we got there we decided to just keep going. This was a tough trip! Very rocky Jeep trail most of the way, but then we hit the nature preserve and it was all sand. No motors allowed, but it was not rideable anyway. We pushed about a mile through the sand, and then hit a washout point on the trail. There was a bypass that was a rocky single track up the mountain with several large rocks in the way, and a dangerous drop off. I managed to get my Trek over most of them since it is only 50lbs, but the heavy Dragon lady took a two man lift. The All wheel drive on Dragon Lady did very well in the dirt! We then continued down the west coast of Oahu, stopping for some much needed A/C and refreshments!

I had one Waianae gentleman slam on the horn at me, depsite the fact I was rolling 43 in a 35 MPH! I guess he was not happy with a bike in his road! Plus there were two lanes south bound and only moderate traffic. He could easily pass me!

I had some problems with my engine last night, the slant head blew the plug hole. Rigged up an old head to work, and it rode better than I though it would today. I did have some chain alignment issues to work out, and 5-7 ended the day with a flat close to my house.

Still, it was a major adventure, and an excellent ride! 5-7 is a great riding partner!

I installed an expansion pipe/air cleaner on my bike, and tuned the carb for it. Dragon Lady really did not leave me at all, most of the time I throttled back to stay behind. One HUGE advantage of my setup is freewheeling down hill. 5-7 had to keep the RPM's up while I was idling going down the long hill to the Northshore, plus the ease of pushing my bike was a huge help.

Here is a map of out journey's so far, just to put it in prespective. We have a huge hole in the north and east side to cover :)

Vids from today to come soon! I got a bigger memory stick and took a lot of vid today!

Ed

Attachments

• rides.jpg
    rides.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 269
  • kaena1.jpg
    kaena1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 293
  • kaena2.jpg
    kaena2.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 282
  • kaena3.jpg
    kaena3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 274
hahahahaha great pictures.........I just MIGHT be at Ko-Olina in Feb - won't have my bike....arggh! (My BIL lives in Milani Town)

Last edited:
We rode by Ko'Olina yesterday! Gorgeous place! I hope to have a second shift kit bike by Feb, would love to take ya for a ride!

There was some talk about how bad Dragon Lady walked my shiftkit up the hill last week. That was a stock motor on my bike, no mods. I added on the expansion pipe, and wow! Really helps the mid range pull. I could keep up easily, even in the windy/uphill parts.

Here is the run on the road from Ka'ena point south towards Makaha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Wtbz5GoF4

On the Jeep trail from northsore to Ka'ena Point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irxDQWcVXAQ

On the Jeep trail in Ka'ena point (south side)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q34qWZDHKn4

Here are some pics from Ko'Olina too!

Attachments

• koolina1.jpg
    koolina1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 276
  • koolina2.jpg
    koolina2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 285
The Dragon Lady Was Left FARRR Behind!

What can I say? The shift kit ANNND the expansion pipe and Ed's engine minus the slant head left me behind.:sick:

I was the lead bike most of the way, with engines screaming at 10,000 rpm+, well past redline.

Those Mitsubishi engines are TOUGH! I rode for miles at wide open throttle. On a particular stretch both engines were running WOT continuously for about 10 miles.

Hawaii Ed was cruising directly behind me with his engine running comfortably.

When I asked Ed to lead he took off. At one point he was at least 1/4 mile ahead and holding back so I could catch up.

Never did catch up. When my tire blew out Ed was out of earshot and almost outa sight.

And wouldn't you know it? There, in the middle of nowhere on the roadside was a 24" X 24" X 12" concrete slab. Someone had dumped it, and it was a PERFECT tool to prop up "The Dragon Lady" for repairs.

When Ed returned with the truck I had removed the tire and tube. I had a cool drink in my hand and was reading the newspaper.:giggle:

I told Ed that we don't need to go back to Kaena Point jeep trail. It's no fun pushing a 100-pound bicycle thru sand. However the dual engines worked very well as all-wheel-drive on the offroad trail.

Thank God for engines and a suspension fork. It is not easy taking a heavy cruiser bike offroading.:giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to upload this pic! I had to go pickup the "motorized bike recovery vehicle" (MBRV :cool:) to get the dragon lady home after the rear brake came apart and took out the tire. Luckily 5-7 had a paper to keep him busy!

Attachments

• 0718091753a.jpg
    0718091753a.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 284
The Northern And Eastern Loop

The final loop is generally from Pearl Harbor to the North Shore surf spots, past Polynesian Cultural Center, then on towards Makapuu Beach, Sandy Beach and back towards town will be approximately 100 miles.

It was so physically demanding to push and carry our MB's through Ka'ena Point Natural Reserve. We had also ridden the West coast successfully, so I'd consider that portion accomplished.:geek:

"The Iron Dragon", my 460 friction bike is reliable enough to commute daily to work. I can now start prepping "The Dragon Lady" for the 100-mile trek. The modified carbs and adaptors need to be retrofitted to both Mitsubishi engines. I am also having 1.75" friction rollers fabricated. At 40mph this should allow the engines to cruise at 8700rpm, not the 10100rpm they're spinning now.

Also need to redo brakes, front and rear.:geek:

Last edited by a moderator:
My freewheel on the shiftkit took a dump after the run in the sand :( Thought I had cleaned it, but you know how sand gets in every crack LOL! Waiting for a replacement, and we can continue some trips!

Not finished yet, augidog.

We've got 100+ miles to go.

Now, whenever I look at the Waianae mountain range from a distance, I say to myself...

WOW! I rode around those mountains.

When I leave Makaha during work, I think WOW! I rode my motorized cruiser bike here, which is halfway around the island.:devilish:

Back