Loud screach upon engine braking.

The more you ride it the more it comes out.... I wouldn't worry about it, but also in the type if it blows the crank out the jug I'm the first taking pictures lol
Thanks man lol
the primary gear and th clutch gear do make a lot of noise. I hastened their mating process by removing all grease and putting valve grinding paste on and left it on till the noise was much reduced. I looked and the gear edges were then rounded off. I then spray cleaned them off and applied grease.
Thanks. I guess I'll ride it til the sound either goes away or at least becomes a lot less noticeable :)

or 12 months, whatever you prefer
ha! no, really I shouldn't be quoting time but rather distance which I'm not sure of.
But why would you want to put up with that noise at all? Just fix it! jeesh

Well it sounds simple enough. I may try what you mentioned. Is there any thing important I should be aware of so I don't screw something up? When things can go wrong, they do in my world lol.

Do I apply the valve grinding paste between all the teeth of both the primary and clutch gear? I've never removed these gears before so I don't really know exactly how to perform that action. If I disassemble the clutch I'm afraid I may not get it back together right.

sounds a bit like you didn't apply heavy grease to those gears then - read about doing that and see if it helps the noise

Well it sounds simple enough. I may try what you mentioned. Is there any thing important I should be aware of so I don't screw something up? When things can go wrong, they do in my world lol.

Do I apply the valve grinding paste between all the teeth of both the primary and clutch gear? I've never removed these gears before so I don't really know exactly how to perform that action. If I disassemble the clutch I'm afraid I may not get it back together right.

I think if Jaguar doesn't specify, it means there's nothing too specific to look out for. :) I think you can just go ahead and degrease the gears in situ and slap on a bit of paste. It should distribute itself? *shrugs* Dont spread grease onto the clutch pads. :)
I'm kind of surprised you haven't already had to remove the ring gear though, to grease the ring gear bearing through the three holes in the rear. Mine was so dry! Not saying that the noise is from there.. it certainly is not.

Sorry I'm not real verse in engine anatomy..I'm guessing the ring gear is the little gear that drives the bigger clutch gear? Please correct me if i'm wrong. I'd be willing to give that a shot too whether it's the problem or not. If its bone dry it probably should have some grease yeah? Also is there a specific type of grease I should use on the gears as well? I'll see what I can find to read on greasing the gears.

Thanks

Sorry I'm not real verse in engine anatomy..I'm guessing the ring gear is the little gear that drives the bigger clutch gear? Please correct me if i'm wrong. I'd be willing to give that a shot too whether it's the problem or not. If its bone dry it probably should have some grease yeah? Also is there a specific type of grease I should use on the gears as well? I'll see what I can find to read on greasing the gears.

Thanks

My terminology may be wrong too!
It's the big gear. I have no idea what state the bearings are in on Grubee engines. Older bad generic engines had blobs of metal in there instead of balls, newer generics' ring gear bearings can be dry or dry up and stick (from hot storage?) such that the clutch appears locked and just has to be unstuck with a bit of force. The bearing in between the clutch pads to separate it from the three pronged clutch shaft end thing is what let's you coast, or rev it up with the clutch disengaged. So the noise can only be from there if it happens when the clutch is disengaged/open. So NOT when engine braking.
It's just that it is such a critical bearing that personally I would check it and add a little LITTLE bit of grease with a syringe and not forget to do it again sometine. But yeah that job does entail removal of the ring gear and the three prong business in the middle so you can combine the two jobs. It's just a puller.
The grease for the gears is tacky grease, can be red, I'm no grease expert, just needs to not fly off or get into the clutch pads. I don't know what Grubbees are like for gear alignment/true though.. I know the cheaper kit engines can be awful, the small/primary gear not being on straight, visibly when you turn the crank. I think someone mentioned that you fix that by buying a new small gear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I think my first order of operation is to try and grease the gears as crassius suggested. I've found plenty of posts on that and I'm 99% certain I can't F*** that up! Don't want it in your clutch pads..got it ;)

If that doesn't seem to help I may dive in to the nastier bits.

Back