Wheels Love Hate Relationship [wheel bearings]

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Marktur, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Marktur

Marktur Member

Well...just got in...I just picked up the bike from the bike shop, I was going to have springers installed, but silly me didn't realize that I would lose the front brakes in the process. OK, leave it stock. Hard ride. I can live with that.

Then on the way home, I thought I had a rear flat again, because I felt the rear end shifting from side to side again...but it was not flat...so I get back on and ride a bit more, but it's bugging me.

I pull over, and realize that with my hand, I can shift the rear tire from side to side about 1/4", but everything's tight (bolts that hold the wheel on. On closer inspection, I'm guessing that I have to replace bearings.

Woo-hoo. First, I don't know how to do that, second how much more money will I have to keep spending to make this bike reliable.

Should've bought a scooter, and kicking myself.
    I don't know what to do now...

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

its not too. remember how nice it was and then fix it. no whiners
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

4. I just had my bearings go also, well not the bearings but the cage the bearings are in. Maybe 200 miles. I got new bearings (in the cages) and took the bearings out. You use more bearings but I had extras. The bearings were $6.00 I think. The bad part I had to buya tool to take the cassette off, another $7.00.............

There are some great videos on youtube. I had to watch one to see how the cassette was removed to get to that sides bearings.....
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  5. Marktur

Marktur Member

OK, I really want to be happy with this bike.

How often would one expect to have this happen?

Dave/Mister - can I/should I tighten the cones without having to take everything apart?
    What exactly should I look for? It's a brand new bike with maybe 350 miles on it...2 months old...would I need to re-grease it?

Can you point me to a place where I can buy the items to do the job? (And let me know what you got or what I should get?)

Do you guys think it's safe to ride another 4 miles back to the bike shop and let them do it? If this is not a regular maintenance thing, then I'm happy to let them do it...but if it will need to be done more frequently than say yearly, then I'll invest in the tools I guess.

It's not a money thing - I can afford the tools and parts - it's the reliability and safety factor getting me down.

I've had about 1 month of happy times...the month before was miserable with the flat tires...I've already invested like $600 in parts and "stuff", and I'm still working on making the bike more comfortable (suspension).

Maybe I should look for a better bike? Does anyone know of a nice cruiser or comfort bike with the shocks (at least front and seatpost/rear shocks) that will fit the HT in a frame mounted setup? I stopped riding mtn bikes because riding in the leaning over position has damaged my back big time (I used to ride at least 10 miles a day - on and off road). My lowest disk next to my tailbone has gone down from about 3" to 1", and I don't want to make it worse. That's why suspension is so important to me.

Thanks for the help guys...I had a fleeting moment thinking about a scooter and motorcycle again, but I really just want that type of reliability with the bike. Yes, I know I'm running an HT motor, but it runs good and I'm not using it for racing, so I think I can label it "dependable" for now.

6. The bike shop should be able to help you with the tools. Possibly the cone is loose, but I would take it off and look at the bearings. Mine was just the motor side bearings, but since I was removing the bearings from the cages I did both sides at the same time. The one tool I would invest in is the cone wrench, that way you can adjust them without taking the wheel off. You have to realize that the bicycles are not meant to go 25 mph, and the torque in the motor side puts strain on the bearings. I would say this is a maintenance thing, grease bearings and check them on occasion like all the nuts and bolts get checked, just not as often.
  7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Safety 1st....hand this one off to the experts.

I would let the bike shop fix it up for ya. you could remove the wheel and take it to them, if need be. ( I would ride it to the shop...if it were me....slowly...lol)

honestly...I have been looking at scooters.
    It would be nice to show up, someplace, once in a while, knowing I won't have greasy hands!!
    have you looked at the Honda Ruckus? Now that's one tough looking little bike. Vespa is my #2 pick.

*I have no problem with greasy hands, for the most part....people who know me, expect it!* :lol:

I could move this discussion to the Bicycle repair forum & try to get you some mechanical help....your call.:?:
  8. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

good point.....same goes for the front wheel too.
  9. I checked my front wheel when I did the back Dave. It seemed good so I just applied some more grease. I MIGHT have tightened the rear cone too tight when I originally greased it. The front is so easy to check cause you can lift it off the ground and freewheel it, but with the rear, and the motor chain it is a little more difficult, so I just grab hold of it before a ride and wiggle it and if it moves time to check cone....
  10. Marktur

Marktur Member

I watched the videos again...I can do this...yes, I can do it.

I just need to figure out what to get - the video listed everything pretty well:
    13mm, 15mm cone wrenches
    Chain whip
    Lock Ring tool - (um, which one for the Kulana?)
    1/4" bearings
    Clear, waterproof grease (exactly what should I get?)

I also want to invest in a bike stand. There's a guy on eBay selling what looks like a decent stand for under $50 to your doorstep...$20 of that is shipping, so maybe I'll get that too. It's such a PITA to have to drain the gas and turn it upside down to pull off tires.
    If you guys can tell me which Lock Ring tool to use, I'll give it a shot.
  11. Marktur

Marktur Member

12. cruiser66

cruiser66 Guest

Hi Mark,

I just finished going through my new Blue Moondog I got from eBay. The bearings are the caged type and they were all pretty dry. I removed the cassette by using a chainwhip and a screwdriver and hammer to loosen the lock ring. The only problem is that I could not figure how to remove the freehub to get to the bearing behind it. I took off the opposite side bearing and packed grease down between the axle and hub to lube the freehub side bearing. If you have to replace the bearings and are able to remove the freehub, let me know how. Thanks. BTW here is what I use to work on my bike when I have to remove or spin the wheels. These are also at walmart for about $15.

13. I may be wrong with the Moondog, but with my bike, after removing the cassette, you remove the motor side locknut and cone, then the axel comes out thru the peddle side complete with locknut and cone, and the bearings are right there, just pop them out. DO NOT adjust the locking nut or cone on the peddle side....
  14. Marktur

Marktur Member

I think what I may do is ride it back up there, and pay them to do the job, then have them tell me which tool to get so I can do it myself in the future.
  15. Marktur

Marktur Member

These guys at Bike America are SO FREAKIN' COOL!

I ended up spending like $25 for the tools and good grease for the bearings.
    He knew about the bike, and sold me the Park FR5 (I think - I'll change the post when I get home if it's wrong), and the 2 cone wrenches: 13/14 and 15/16. Told me that I did not need the whip wrench.

He also suggested that I do NOT switch to loose ball bearings, and I'll take that advice for now.

But I'm happy again (gee, do I sound emotional about my bike or what???) and I'm glad I have the tools to make everything perfect myself now.

I will re-grease the fronts too, just for kicks, and know that it was done right.
  16. Marktur

Marktur Member

17. I just repacked my rear wheel, it's not that hard. Having a motor means more maintenence, so it's good to learn. Probably it just requires an adjustment. I found this good site for bike repair instruction:
  18. Marktur

Marktur Member

Yeah, after watching the vids, I decided I "can" do it...went and bought the tools today at lunchtime.

Do you have a Kulana?
  19. Marktur

Marktur Member

Did it!

Good call SRDave! You were right. The bearings, btw, were just about DRY!

Here's what you need to do this:
    http://bicycletutor.com/ Find the video and watch it on greasing the bearings.

Cone wrenches: 13, 15, 17
    Lock Ring tool: Park FR1 (not 5)
    BIG Monkey wrench so you don't get cut knuckles when the nut loosens, because you will need to put some muscle into it.

Follow the video.
    The Kulana comes with caged bearings. I just reused them, because they were fine.

Take your time, be patient, use LOTS of good grease.

THANKS EVERYONE - I already took it for a test ride, and I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY again!

Next time I whine about the bike, someone please slap me. :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008