Made some progress on the 1937 Airflow

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by JE, Dec 30, 2008.

1. JE

JE Guest

Finally found the the super rare tank I've been trying to find for my 1937 Shelby Airflow. Now I can take the bike appart and paint it the factory blue thats on the tank with red darts and white pin stripe.Also dusted the WHizzer off and took it around the block and the 49 Colson.I'll be picking up my 1936 Schwinn and 1938 Colson this weekend from my buddies house I've had them stored at. Got to take advantage of this dry wheather while we have it......lol

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Sounds cool. Got any photos?

3. JE

JE Guest

oops here are the pictures.

Attached Files:

4. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Fine looking bikes. Just imagine them motored and painted. Sweet.

Whizzer's cool, too.

5. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

nice bikes

makes one wish to take a ride

we like it when we ride those THINGS

6. JE

JE Guest

Except for the Whizer there all staying pedel power. I've got another Airflow frame I'm thinking about building into a whizzer.

7. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

GOOD for you for keeping them as close to original as possible. It is Blasphemy to put a Chinese motor on one ! LOL

8. JE

JE Guest

Yea the 1937 Shelby Airflow and my 1938 Shelby Flying cloud are getting restored so i can Take them to a concours Show up in Tacoma washington next summer.

9. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Is that the Marymount show? It's just around the corner from my house, but always working weekends, kinda messes up my social time so I never get to go to that one. Always take the day off for the Old Bike Swap though! Sweet rides you have my man, very sweet rides.

10. JE

JE Guest

It's at the Harold lemay car Museum.

11. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Yup, that's the one...

12. Buzz Bomb

Buzz Bomb Member

Is it wrong to celebrate old non-motorized on here? I'd post pics of some of my rides but I don't want any complaints about how this is a motored bike site. Any chance of a non-motorized heritage forum added to the list?:idea:

13. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I'd say go right ahead. We've been celebrating non-motorized vintage bikes on a number of threads here. Also, some vintage bikes end up getting motorized (my '46 Columbia is an example of that).

Attached Files:

14. JE

JE Guest

Yea i've been toying with the Idea of putting a Original H model Whizzer motor in my 1949 Colson.

Attached Files:

15. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Would love to see that!

16. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Speaking of Colsons, do you get that new newsletter, "Classic Bicycle News"? There's a good article on Colsons in this month's issue.

Attached Files:

17. JE

JE Guest

I've been meaning to subscribe.My sister was suppose to buy a subscription for xmas for me but dropped the ball. I'd like to read the artical.Also been meaning to buy a book about colson off Ebay.

18. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

Hey Killroy your 46 Columbia is one beautiful machine I love the classic style nice work on it. One question for you where do you guys find these old bikes from I have checked out ebay but is there a better source?
    Thanks Jim

19. JE

JE Guest

Craigslist, local collectors and two big vintage Bike swaps in Washington state are where I find most of mine allong with hanging out at thecabe.com

20. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Like JE, I also pick up some bikes at swap meets, but I haven't been successful with Craigslist in my area. I also find them at auctions, and that '46 Columbia was picked up as a basket case at an antiques shop. I've picked up several on eBay too (including the '36 Elgin men's bike I posted earlier).