Mag Wheels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by appye, Aug 6, 2008.

1. appye

appye Guest

I wanted to get people's opinion on mag wheels like these ones ... Basically, how strong are they compared to spoked wheels in terms of staying true when hitting potholes at 30+mph? How about in comparison to the 9 gauge spoked wheels built by wheelmaster?

Do you know if adapters exist that will allow for me to put a left hand threaded freewheel on that like the one provided by the staton kit? I see that staton sells something similar like this one, but only 24" and I want 26" ...

I am still unsure what I want in terms of this at the moment.

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Well, the forces involved in hitting a pothole at 30+ mph are likely significantly greater than those involved in jumping a bike at 10-15 mph. Those wheels will NOT stand up to BMX type uses, even in BMX sizes. A 26 inch wheel has a much longer lever arm for side forces to act on from the axle than does a 20 inch one, so I'd guess that using them on a motorized bike isn't a really good idea.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  3. appye

appye Guest

You are saying that they are weaker then. What kind of rebuttal can you give to the article here?

Sorry, not trying to troll, just looking for good information.
  4. SimpleSimon

In rebuttal I'll offer the following quote from the sellers own description:

Now, think about the differences between a human powered bicycle, and a motorized bicycle. Ordinary bike, typical focus is on making it as light as will do the tasks it is intended for. Motorized bike, typically 2-4 times as heavy with all accessories in the load - then add the rider. Ordinary bike speeds mostly in the 20 mph max range under pedal power, motorized bikes in the 20-30 range.

So, you have a bike that weighs, say, twice as much, moving at let's say half again the speed. The forces encountered by the wheel in hitting a pothole are a product of the Mass x Velocity (too greatly oversimplify the analysis), and represent a calculable figure. Fo an ordinary bike under pedal power, it's like this:

F = M * V

whereas for a motorized bike:

F = (M*2) * (V*1.5)

The force experienced is a minimum in the scenario above of 3X that experienced by the pedalled bike, and may be much greater than that. Which is why motorcycle wheels are built one heck of a lot stronger than bike wheels.

5. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Those wheels are nice but for the price of 2 wheels I could buy 3 bicycles or a bike with a friction kit on it. Just too pricey for my tastes but they do look nice and have to be more sturdy then a conventional spoked wheel. I guess its like owning a $500 car and having 3k worth of rims on it, just not my style.
  6. appye

appye Guest

so now we have disagreement here! One person says that they are weak and should be completely avoided whereas another says they are strong!

they are only $100 for the set! You must have read the prices wrong.
  7. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Het appeye, your right about those rims thats the best price Ive seen yet on a set of mags but be aware the shipping alone is $70.
  8. appye

appye Guest

sheesh. I did not catch that $70 price tag.
  9. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

The wheels are $70 and $60 for shipping = $130 total for a pair

On the $100 buy it now auction just make an offer of $70 or even maybe
    less and it will be accepted

As for the strength versus spokes I would say the mags are stronger and
    more trouble free
    The seller is Taiwanese, doesn't write English very well and is just
    covering his arse from idiots that will jump them from over 6'

Think about it, my first motorcycles had spoked wheels but my last bike had
    6 spoke mag wheels, a BMW K100RS that didn't look too much different from those bicycle mag wheels especially considering that the BMW weighed 550lbs and I loaded it up with at least 375 lbs making at least 925 lbs total that
    I could cruise 2 up at 100 mph + with ease

appye, your motorized bicycle must weigh well under 100lbs
    Those mag wheels are going to stabilise your handling and ride
    I guess Wheelmaster wheels would be as good but cost a lot more
  10. appye

appye Guest

Well, the other thing to worry about is whether or not I would be able to adapt the staton freewheel to those things...

I cannot find any real authoritative information on the internet about these. I respect your guy's opinions, believe me. I just wish there was some authority on the matter where I could see tests that show for a fact which is stronger, and whether or not it matters on the application.
  11. DougC

DougC Guest

My opinion is: they're junk.

A lot of companies have tried to introduce non-wire-spoke MTB wheels, and failed. Furthermore, these mag wheels (the ones I've seen, at least) appeared to be cast aluminum, and will not withstand fatigue very well. They're fine for little kids' bikes (who don't weigh much or go very fast) but not for big kids.

Spoked wheels can be plenty strong; most off-road motorcycles still use wire-spoked wheels. Go into a bike shop and ask to see the most expensive MTB they have, and it'll probably have a pair of wire-spoke wheels on it.

Here's a Trek with an MSRP of $6,600 -- and it comes with wire-spoke wheels:

I don't know about any adapters.
    But I do know that a 24" wheel with a 24x3" tire is pretty much the same diameter as a 26" wheel with a 2" tire. The only question is if the frame you are using has the room for a 3" tire....
  12. sprocket

sprocket New Member

I have them on my bike do search 'for no spoke wheels' have had no problems with them and best of all no broken spokes, see pictures. good luck.
  13. From my own experience I've owned Magnesium wheels and the Plastic composite wheels on my BMX bikes.
    If they make a composite wheel for our 26 inch bikes I'm SOLD.
    The magnesium wheels are bulletproof if you don't rough ride it so I would summarize you'll keep your rims true and straight if you don't abuse it.
    The composite wheels though I went off a jump and landed not exactly straight. My friends told me they literally saw my back wheel take a bend and spring back. I flipped my bike upside down and spun it after all that.
    Straight as an arrow.
    Only drawback is composite wheels tend to wear down a bit if you use brake pads on them. But it stops wearing down eventually. And you actually get a bit better stops because the pads grab the wheel a bit better and the wheel itself is lighter.
    Look at motorcycles,though. They seem to do fine with the Magnesium wheels. They do fine with heavy duty thick spokes too.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  14. appye

appye Guest

Sprocket, how often do you ride? For how long, and what kind of terrain? Would you feel more vulnerable hitting bad potholes and things at speed? Those train tracks where the gap between the asphalt and the track is huge? Going off curbs? ...Halfpipes?

I posted on that thread a asking similar questions, and here to get it more out in the public I guess. The reaction is interesting... Strong yays or nays and little in between. Heh heh heh.
  15. SimpleSimon

Look at the upfront cost, then decide whether the perceived benefit justifies it. Mag wheels, on paved roads in good condition, are perfectly fine. As I explained previously, the forces involved in striking obstacles on a motorized bike are quite a lot higher, but the wheels will handle those forces just fine, usually. What is the situation when they DON'T handle the forces smoothly?

Most spoked wheels, you flex the rim, maybe pop a few spokes. Odds are high that you can replace the spokes, re-true the wheel, and be on the road again in a very short time. Now look at your mag wheel with the bent rim and/or spoke. All you can do is replace it. You are looking at days of downtime, minimum, unless you can afford to keep an extra wheel in storage for that eventuality. In the meanwhile, you can't ride the bike (at least not even CLOSE to safely).

So, you bust a mag wheel, and need to replace it. Guess what? E-bay merchants come and go. A year ago, 26" mag wheels couldn't be found for love nor money here. Will they be available in another year? I guarantee spokes will be.

From my perspective, they don't make good sense.
  16. appye

appye Guest

Yeah, that eventuality did cross my mind... I am getting assurances from Wheelmaster that his spoked wheels will not bend or break no matter what. It remains to be seen how well they withstand my next jump over 52 hovering helicopters...
  17. loquin

loquin Active Member

A couple of things to consider.

First, the ad APPEARS to be for the set of two tires.

Second. The energy involved is proportional to the square of the velocity. So, a bike traveling at 30 MPH has more than twice the energy of one traveling at 20 MPH.

That being said, they would probably be OK for MB use - just be careful to lift up & take potholes with knees bent, to avoid much of the stresses. But, if they fail, they will fail catastrophically. And, you will not be able to repair them.

I like the way they look, and I like the simplicity. I'm just not convinced that they would hold up at speeds over 20 MPH.

You should be able to build a disk brake adapter LH freewheel adapter for them, also. Start with one of staton's LH adapters, & turn out the middle on a lathe. Cut it down, and weld to an adapter flange. Ideally, I would have the threaded portion just slip inside the flange, weld from the back side, and then grind the weld flush. The adapter will protrude about 1/2 inch from the face of the disk rotor mounting surface.

Here's a reference to the hole pattern.

The finished adapter should look something like the sketch below. Note that you would need to use low profile M5 mounting bolts - round head cap-screws, possibly.

EDIT: The drawing had a typo on it; it said the threads should be 1-3/8, 20TPI LH, it SHOULD have said 1-3/8 24 TPI LH. It has been corrected.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  18. appye

appye Guest

Heh heh ... that probably isn't going to happen... Not unless I see evidence proving to me that mags are far stronger than spoked wheels.

In this thread I have been fishing for any knowledge people might have of the difference between the two actually being put to the test.

Large Filipino, that sounds like the perfect solution if it ever comes to light! Flexible rims that bounce back to their original shape!
  19. loquin

loquin Active Member

There's a few folks here who have bought them. We'll have to see how they play out.
  20. appye

appye Guest

Yep. Sprocket, We Expect On Less Than Weekly Reports!