Magneto in rain

Rockjaw

Local time
8:48 AM
I havent had any problems yet in the rain..but i havent ridden in hard rain..im sure it will catch me. I hear if the engine gets wet on these 2 strokes that it will destroy the magneto..(crack engine too) does anyone use gasket sealer around the magneto case? and have luck with that?

I have customers that have painted that seam with nail polish - no way to tell if it works tho.

take the coil off and clean where the screw heads touch the coil frame. that is a major conduction point that if rusty can weaken the spark due to voltage loss. if bad enough it stops the ignition system from working.
I did that on mine and used silicone sealant and it was reliable although I often rode in the rain.

put some drain holes in it. mine has been submerged and survived. if it doesn't stay wet it doesn't matter if it gets wet

i have no choice somedays but to ride in the rain. you get to a certain point where you actually start aiming for puddles :) thats on the way home, knowing theres dry clothes and a shower ahead :)

but so far, though i always make the suggestion to drill some drain holes in the bottom...ive never had a reason to do it myself? no sealant, no gasket if the nut didnt start grinding away at the case even... no nothing :) and currently, my magneto isnt even soaked in resin, just a few turns of electrical tape after i rewound it to run my headlights :)

My experience has shown the magneto to be surprisingly waterproof so long as you have the square rubber grommet over the top of the magneto wires, where they exit the magneto housing.

After riding in hard rain, (and straight after i have stopped the engine) i remove the magneto cover (or pull start) and blow the magneto coil and magnet with a high pressure air gun. Any residual moisture will evaporate from heat remaining in the magneto coil and magnet; when leaving the cover open for a good half hour.

Back