Maiden Voyage and Reflection on Build (pic attached)

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by lsoult, May 4, 2011.

1. lsoult

lsoult Member

After mustering up some courage (for fear of being late) I rode my bike to work today. It was about three miles. This has been my 4th ride but the only one that really counted in my eyes

Other than the fact that I still cant get it to Idle, it went pretty well. Lots of staring from my fellow commuters! LOL!

To anyone that hasnt built a bike and is thinking about it, I'd say it was pretty hard, but very rewarding. This forum is what got me through it for sure. The only thing I regret is not buying a bigger frame bike. The intake mods were a pain, and I'm going to have to detatch the motor to get my spark plug out.

Attached Files:

2. cpuaid

cpuaid Member

ahh... maiden voyage on commutes is the best. I remember the satisfaction that I got knowing that I put together something that was capable of taking me 11 miles each way to work. it actually makes going to work an absolute pleasure. there is something to be said about cruising at 20 MPH that you pick up little details you never noticed in your environment as if you were in a car or even a motorcycle. keep tire patches or an extra tube on hand for those road hazards and you will be fine. congrats on your build (she looks sturdy) and enjoy the ride.

3. goodtime65

goodtime65 Member

If you replaced our head with a slant head you would be able to remove our sparkplug alot easier, plus it would make you engine run better

4. lsoult

lsoult Member

Slant head? I'll have to look into it. At this point I'm lucky I could even get it running. I feel like it should be running better though. Thanks

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Congrats on your 1st commute!!

You can also get a shorter sparkplug. Champion CJ7Y is one.

6. lsoult

lsoult Member

Thanks!

I'll check the small engine shop down the road.

7. goodtime65

goodtime65 Member

If your engine will not idle for you than it is probably an air leak in the intake. Make sure you use silicone to seal the carb to the intake manifold. Also did you check your head bolts

8. lsoult

lsoult Member

I'll try that stuff tonight.... Thanks!

9. james65

james65 Member

That motor looks right at home there. Nice looking build.

10. lsoult

lsoult Member

Ok guys.... I replaced my ghetto intake mod with actual fittings... runs like a champ...all my problems went away.... pics in the gallery.

11. jander6442

jander6442 New Member

nice build and bike... hope to be writing one of these very soon:)

12. lsoult

lsoult Member

Thanks Jander. It's not as nice as I'd like. But its very fun to ride and cut my commuting cost way down (I still drive when it's raining).

Welcome to the forum. I'm still kinda new myself. These guys are great though... Driven by the love of thier common interest to continually help anyone that needs it. I couldnt have finished my bike without them.