Making a velomobile (Maybe)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dwight92397, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Dwight92397

Dwight92397 Guest

I used to do a lot of bicycling touring and commuting. That ended when I moved to the mountains. Now, my commute is 30 miles with nearly 5000 feet of elevation gain on the ride home. Cold, wet weather is an issue in the mountains where I live. Heat is an issue in the desert where I work. And, I have to arrive looking and smelling like a "professional person..." So, I've been driving my car all the time. :sad:

I'm thinking about making a velomobile- probably one of the kits sold buy VelomobileUSA. I'm toying with numerous engine set ups. Electric doesn't have enough range for my mountain climb, so it will have a gas engine. Or, I may make a three-way hybrid with peddles, gas, and electric.

I may try to stay withing the motorized bicycle laws. Or, I may try to register so I can go a little faster and blend with traffic a little better...

It's all starting to seem rather complex to this beginner. I'm not sure how the story will end.

I may wait until Lightfoot starts selling the motorized Stormy. The downsides include cost, low power, and not having a DIY project. Upside is that it would definitely work, weather protection is better, and it would have room to take my dog on a tour.

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Welcome Dwight,

There are ways to climb those mountains, I did Colorado and there are other Rocky Mountain members. So, where theres a will.......
  3. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Welcome! & Good Luck!
  4. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Ozzy, welcoming a Member who made 1 post in Feb. 2007, has little chance of getting a response.
  5. KiDD

KiDD Member

Maybe he is busy building his velomobile?

On a thread hijacking side question... would putting two 48 cc engines on a bike keep it within the under 50cc regulation? I'm think dual engine trike?
  6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Almost certainly the answer is NO!

It would be viewed as a two cylinder 96 cc engine by the courts.
  7. KiDD

KiDD Member

But I'm only using one at a time? For like long distance one can cool down while the other is working?
  8. loquin

loquin Active Member

Probably not unless there was a mechanical interlock which disallowed one from being used while the other was running.

But, if that was the true intent, for about the same $$$ you could get a Mitsubishi, Honda, or R/S engine that could be run all day long without neededing to cool it down.
  9. loquin

loquin Active Member

Dwight - you could probably throw a Staton VuVinci kit with the Robins-Suburu engine on the velomobile. That would get you the torque you need for the mountains, as well as the speed to keep air moving while in the desert.
  10. KiDD

KiDD Member

Nah, that would just be my excuse to the cop when I get pulled over.

I hope dwight comes back to show off his hybrid velomobile, cause I want to build a velomobile too.
  11. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

I gave up and checked out a velomobile.
    NO CARPIN WAY am I gonna own one of THOSE.
    The motored bike is cool. Being 6-2, 270, 50 years old and riding a motorized bike gets me enough stares. Somebody asking me for a pen out of my pocket protector?
  12. tomcatfranks

tomcatfranks Guest

Hi, I think I can help. I've just build a velomobile/motorbicycle/surf rod from scrap. It uses a 50cc in-frame motor (it's a Howell motor from Thatsdax). I don't have pics of it yet, but I'll be posting them soon. I live in San Antonio, Texas, and most of the year is hot. Right now temps are high as 103 degrees, so a velomobile definetly helps! Well, drop me a line, and we'll talk. Take care, -Tom