Making pedals wider...

John-Forrest

Local time
10:42 PM
I'm sure all of you have had the experience of your bicycle pedal knocking against the engine or muffler. Is there any way to adjust axis of pedals so they are an inch away from engine? Or do you have to buy special pedals

That all depends on what kind of bottom bracket you have. If you have a 1 piece you can try and find a wider crank. If you have a 3 piece you can get either a wider spindle or some off set cranks.

I did some surfing on net, but couldn't find anything like "wider" cranks. They seem to be a universal size. I would think there are people with unusually wide legs who would also want something like this.

The most obvious solution I can think of is bang on the left pedal so it clears the engine and muffler. Not a very good idea since then pedal would be awkward.

We may have to waint until someone invents this. Or have narrower motors.

Incidentally, cranksets are VERY expensive, more than the motors themselves!

On one piece cranks I heat them with a torch and bend them and then have them replated.

Attachments

• 100_0975.jpg
    100_0975.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 255
I'm not very sure about definitions here. Is "crank" that piece of metal inside the frame that turns sprocket around? Or is that the "axis"? Is metal arm that pedal is attached to "crank handle"? Not sure how to refer to it.

Is there some way get special pedal arms that will clear the engine and muffler? Something kind of Z-shaped with right angles?

What about pedal extensions? Threaded at one end to fit the crank, and to receive the pedal at the other?

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Keep in mind those extensions are 9/16" and will only work on three piece cranks. For one piece cranks you need 1/2".

This sounds like it is getting closer to what I'm talking about. Just extending the pedals wouldn't make crank arm stop hitting engine. It's not the pedal that is problem, it's crank arm. Would there be an extension that make crank arm move out wider?

Back