Manual clutch or centrifugal choice?

professor

Local time
5:50 PM
I am deleting the electric drive from my gas/electric and making it a straight belt output, now that the bike is NY legal.
I can do a idler that tightens the belt (like in a lawn tractor) or buy a centrifugal clutch.
Any thoughts?

If you use a toothed belt, I'd go centrifugal (I think the idler option would eat the teeth). If you're going to use a V-belt, I'd go with the idler because it should provide better control of the engagement point.

It will be a "V" belt. Inexpensive and always available.
Yeah, I like a manual since I can putt- putt quietly at low speed.
But the cent. being automatic, doesn't need to be engaged with a lever- needs rpm to be up to go slow.
Like your signature says, you can't have everything, just wondering which the guys like best. HT style manual or cent.

Even if it is a toothed belt, the teeth don't ride on a idler, nor would the "V" on a V belt, the back of a belt contacts the idler pulley.

I was not concerned about the idler eating the teeth off the belt. I was concerned that the drive pully would eat the teeth off as the idler was engaged.

Well, I'll be doing the idler / manual clutch thing.
Got the bike up on the operating table as we speak. Gonna be a long operation. Did the 450 watt- dectomy along with controller and wires. Leaving the alternnator and one battery on the bike for light power.

Back