Manual Wiki? [MBc Volunteers Needed]

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by grakker, Aug 4, 2007.

1. grakker

grakker Guest

This forum is great. While I got my engine installed and running before ever finding it, I have found quite a lot to help me since then.

That aside, I don't think that the forum as a central point of all things motor bike is very efficient. It would be nice to set up a wiki for definitive engine information. Not a free for all wiki, just something that trusted members could update. IMHO it would be quite a step above "use the search function" that is now here.

Again, I don't want the forum to go away. I don't know what I would do with my evenings until the end of summer if that happened. It would be nice to have it set up like a mailing list, so that I could use my MUA to do what I want with it, but that is a little off topic.

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

boy, are you ever right about trying to use a forum as a stable foundation for technical information, it's been driving us crazy, but that's also another issue. for a while i could funnel it into a locked forum, but the volume of content! totally unexpected!!

the place started as a website with a the time there wasn't much content for a site, however the forum thrived...i'm comfortable here...i suppose tom may want a front site again someday, but you better believe the MBc forums are a done deal & here to stay.

but: i'd love to hear more about your ideas to glean the good stuff out and organize it! a truly comprehensive motoredbiking bible, edited by committee...

i was coming into this directory tonite to post a plea for volunteers...i'm gonna tweak your subject line a tad and voice my personal & admin approval of your suggestions, providing we can recruit the staff needed to do it right...

the best way to discuss volunteering is to PM me, so we can talk about what we need to. that goes for anyone who's had the time to get a feel for the community and would like to be part of the MBc team.

please continue to tell us about the "??-pedia" and how it would work 8)
  3. grakker

grakker Guest

OK. I conversed with augidog and this is the situation. I think that it would be nice to have an "Owner's Manual" in the form of a wiki. If you don't know what a wiki is, check out wikipedia, look it up, or pm me.

I took about 10 minutes to set up a sample wiki at, just as an idea of what it could/would look like. I don't have, nor do I want to have, access to the MBc server. If you (the collective you) would like to have something like this to point noobies to, versus "Use the search at the top" or "This has already been handled see this thread" It should be very do-able.

There are basically three steps that need to be made

1) Decide what type of wiki software is needed. This is not hard, if you have to have some type of CS background to understand the needs of as far as options and computer language. I could help Tom with this, I'm not sure how many other people would care to take part in this decision.

2) Tom (?) would need to install the software. This is something that I really don't know, as I have pm'd augidog and not Tom. Does he have a database backend? Does the software need a database backend? These type of questions are why Tom (or whoever owns and administrates the MBc site needs to be involved with part 1.

3) A couple of people to keep the manual up to date. This part is not hard. Wiki markup is surprisingly easy to learn. Even if you aren't computer literate (in the CompSci sense), this could be done by just about anyone who is comfortable formatting a Word document.

Personally I think that this would really help MBc. But that is just my opinion. I would volunteer myself, but I just got a phone call today (Monday) asking that I show up for work next week and help them develop a curriculum plan for the next year.

I have REALLY enjoyed riding my bike around this summer, but working in Compton, CA, I know that the next 10 months or so are going to be a little overwhelming, as far as participating on this site, or even keeping up with what is going on. I would have told my district that I wasn't interested because as a teacher I really appreciate my time off, but as a teacher, I'm broke as all h#ll right now. So, in short, if we do this in the next day or two, I could totally set up the wiki and import the data from augidog's manual portion of the site. That probably won't happen, and I'm going to be MIA for the next few months.

If anyone want's to help this (and seriously can! Don't waste augidog and Tom's time), pm augidog. Otherwise this will die. Which is nothing to me personally.

4. Tom

Tom Active Member

I don't have time to read this whole post, but a wiki would be a really good idea. I'll read it tomorrow.
  5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

thank you, grakk'...i knew tom would be glad to see this, too. the issue of no staffing still exists, tho.

the main reason it won't happen during this round is because it takes time to find out if a volunteer's gonna stick, & we have none in the wings :(

anybody? skills needed all across the board, moddy, wiki-work, public awareness, events...

ok, we're here and poised when you're ready. meantime, it is about all the 4 of us can do to keep up here lately...cya 'round the board 8)
  6. npk1977

npk1977 Guest

I think this is a great idea. I highly recommend pbwiki: it's a free, administration-less wiki. Looks good! Their tag: "Make a wiki as easy as a peanut butter sandwich." I've used it a few times, and I think it's great.

I'd be happy to help with content. We could start off simple, come up with 4 or 5 categories, and provide links to interesting forum posts. That's it. No content creation, just content indexing.
  7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

now we're talkin...hold that thought...anyone else?
  8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

gonna put some tunes on...have a look at the sample.

temptations are shoutin' out "ball of confusion.." now i'll go see what pbwiki looks like.
  9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

ok, i snagged the name. at the time i made this, there were internal errors at pbwiki, so i couldn't do anything.

i won't have much time til monday to check it out, but i'll be looking forward to serious PM's about helping with this. candidly, you'll need more than enthusiasm to qualify for the MBc wiki may require community approval.

speaking of which...i sure wish more of you would take the time to vote or comment on community issues.
  10. Tom

Tom Active Member

11. Tom

Tom Active Member

12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

oh, sure...muddy the already confusing waters :p

so, you'd let us install our own here? dumb question i guess.

well, let's see how the volunteer process goes & then we can make the next decision, eh?

i'd like to gather 3 or 4 established & active members to take on the MBc-wiki.
  13. Tom

Tom Active Member

Yeah, we might as well install our own here. No use in hosting it somewhere else.
  14. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

15. Tom

Tom Active Member

Hmm i dont know! I know that someone on this board is an editor of that category...
  16. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

17. npk1977

npk1977 Guest

Are you going to use pbwiki, or host your own? Reason i ask, is it would be wonderful if someone disentangled the 6 page thread: "Safety & Maintainence Tips from M-B.c's Members" and then got rid of the thread, or pointed it to the wiki, or something.
  18. Tom

Tom Active Member

Hopefully host our own. Yeah, I think a wiki would be huge
  19. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

"someone"...what a have a "someone" in mind? actually, this isn't directed directly at you, but the statement struck a nerve.

'cause we're fresh outta someones...azkronic & srdavo freely give their time to help me keep things in some semblence of order 'round here...personally, because i can, i give over 50 hours a week to MBc, whether on the board or promoting relations round the globe...

"not working" you say? of course it isn't, not enuff attention is being paid to what and where to post, new members going nuts throwing stuff wherever, established members asking for more, trouble-makers constantly hacking in...need i go on? if the staff didn't spend so much time fixing things, maybe we could develop new things.

volunteers needed, none stepping up...i keep hoping for that PM from "someone" who wants to help.

i need 5 more moderators to patrol the board checking content, i need 3 or 4 people if we want a serious wiki, we need true community leaders beyond the MBc forum our membership and it's desire for "more" grows, so do our needs for staff in order to keep up.
  20. npk1977

npk1977 Guest

Audiodog -

First of all, mbc is amazing, and you volunteers are doing an amazing job. And, I understand your frustration. You're job is to deal with problems, and dealing with problems is not fun. So, I need to doubly thank you.

Secondly, sorry, after rereading my thread, I realized how rude it sounded. Let me say this. I'm happy to help here or there, but i'm in the last year of my phd in astrophysics, and i'm sure you can imagine how much of a time sink that is :)

Here's a suggestion, don't bother hosting your own wiki. That'll take more of your time to install/backup/maintain, use pbwiki. I'll volunteer to disentangle the 6 page safety thread. I'll put it on pbwiki, it might take me a month, but i'll do it. If the wiki takes off, it'll hopefuly reduce your load, and will be self-sustaining.

What do you think?