Massachusetts Registration Woes

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by ComfortableShoes, Aug 25, 2008.

1. I just got back from the RMV in my town. There they told me that I need to apply for a VIN #. It will cost me $50, more than I already have in my weedwacker build.

I know some of you here in Mass have registered your motorized vehicles without this insane step. Can you tell me which RMV you went to? I went to the one in Beverly.

I have a feeling that if I was registering a vintage bike, it wouldn't have been an issue, but because my bike is from 2004 they want me to have the number. If I can go to a different RMV, one where they have accepted the serial number in the past then I might be able to get it on the road without spending an additional $50.

I don't mind traveling to get to it, but I want to get this bike on the road legal and be able to ride all over without looking in my rear view to see if the po po are there.

2. jg767

jg767 Member

I had no problem at the Lawrence RMV located on Winthrop ave. (rt.114) As a matter of fact, they even gave me a new reg. sticker for no charge when my first one was stolen! I needed no VIN# all I needed was the serial # off the bike frame.

3. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

It's the same song and dance up here in NH. Some DMV's say you need a VIN and inspection. Some say no registration is needed as long as it still pedals. Mine used the serial number, took my $4 and handed me a plate and registration paper. The govt really has no idea whats going on with their own laws. I think they're made that way so they can make shat up as they go along.

4. To Lawrence I go then.

I'm pretty sure that if I were to apply for the VIN# it would get rejected becaus ea bike is not a motor vehicle.

I've heard that a lot of places will accept the serial # as the VIN# and fill in with zeros to make the right amount of numbers...

We'll see. I'm tempted to make a stop at every RMV between work and home just to make a report of who WILL register with serial and who won't...

I have 3 bikes I'll eventually be motoring.... long term project.

5. I had a long lunch break today and had to head to Framinghma for work, called in said I might be late and went to eh RMV there. Had a minimal 11 minute wait and got my MB registration. Shiny little sticker, that I've mounted and put on my bike. I'm legal now!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/2804748614_d031718e5d_o.jpg

I"ve got one more bike I need to register, and I"ll head into the Melrose (On my way home from work) and see if I can get a sticker there.

6. jg767

jg767 Member

Glad to hear you were successful with your rgistration. You might want to mount the sticker separately on a small square of plastic, like I did. Then you can move it from one moter to another as needed. I used 4 5mm bolts with nylock nuts to attach it to the back of the intake cover.