Massive Electromagnetic interference from Magneto or CDI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately aluminum doesn't do **** for shielding EMI. This is a job for heavy metal.
I wish I knew more about CDI's. I still think model airplane CDI would be best if it would work. I guess I might just have to break down and order one to try it.

I think you may be giving this EMI thing a little too much attention. I have been an amateur radio operator 16 years and I have not had any adverse reactions to strong RF. I use a 5 watt handy talky about 3 inches from my face. I used to power up the legal limit for ham operators which is 1500 Watts. Even though I don't have the high power HF gear anymore I can still pump out about 120 watts FM and light up a 48 inch florescent light tube in my bare hands without any wires. There is nothing wrong with me. Oh I almost forgot, there is nothing wrong with me.

lol
Seriously though I would not worry about the RF but that's just my opinion.

Jim

Man, I wish I would have read this thread before I threw away my screwy speedo that I thought wasn't working!

I have the Schwinn now, and of course the ODO is reset every time I get on the bike, but usually I reset it once, and I'm good for a while...too weird!

I'm going to run to the Autoparts and pick up an NGK plug and shielded plug wire - I heard these were two good performance enhancements anyway.

My kill switch died, so I have the blue wires twisted together and tied around a brake cable up near the handlebars....zapped myself this morning pedalling to start it, and scared the cr_p out of myself! OUCH! Did you know the clutch handle is metal and conducts???? DOH!

I'm going to remove the switch all together, since I use the choke anyway, and keep all wiring as close to the motor as possible. I'll post results later.

Seriously though I would not worry about the RF but that's just my opinion.
Jim

Even if there is no health concern, which I believe there simply hasn't been enough research to really determine, I have seen my CDI KILL an electronic device in a split second. Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with you now but you could be taking years off you life and there will never be a way to link it 20-30 years from now.

The reality is that no electronics with sensitive IC's can be safely brought near my bike. This is a fact, my bike WILL destroy IC's. This is seriously not cool with me in the least. Not in the least!!!!

Last edited:
It does seam like your CDI does emit a rather high amount of RF.
One thing you should also consider is the fact the digital speedometer is probably not a high end electronic device. Most of the higher end electronics have built in shielding to protect them from stray RF but I still would not want to sit my laptop on your bike.
That being said if you are uncomfortable with the amount of RF then by all means do what you need to do to correct the problem.
I wish I could help you more but I have never tried to do what your trying to do.
The best of luck to you and I hope you are successful.

Jim

Last edited:
I put my Blackberry in my front bag right next to the speedometer, and its just fine.
Maybe change out the CDI and see if any change...it may just be a faulty one that you were lucky enough to win.

Love your signature, Jim. Too funny!

No matter the quality of the electronics, IC's all have a life expectancy both running and shelf. My Speedometer did not die after 3 or 4 hours of use on the motor but you can be sure that the life expectancy has indeed decreased substantially more than 4 hours from being subjected to the EMP. One minute of being in the EMP field could be anywhere from days to weeks or even years off the life on any particular IC, guaranteed. I would especially keep expensive electronics away from this field because it will shorten their life and their reliability.

Last edited:
I put my Blackberry in my front bag right next to the speedometer, and its just fine.
Maybe change out the CDI and see if any change...it may just be a faulty one that you were lucky enough to win.

Love your signature, Jim. Too funny!

I had my blackberry in my side pocket this morning, which would roughly only be the thickness of my leg away from the cdi, and it was perfectly fine now.(dammit :p I'll have to try harder next time!)

Maybe your cdi is faulty....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back