MB.problem in Laws and Legislation section

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by bamabikeguy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Yesterday I came across a St. Joseph, Missouri legal story, and searched back and forth through 15 pages trying to find a Missouri thread to attach it to.

A wasted half hour in the interest of "organization".....

So, of course I made some observations.

1. If anywhere it is important to put the location in the title, it is in Laws and Legislation.....one long running thread per state would be so much better than 10 scattered bits and pieces.

2. Ideally, there would be less than 100 threads in that section, for each state and province, but now there are anywhere from 2-5 separate threads about one particular city or county. At least keep those local stories in one local thread.

3. In a repeated "general gripe", the MORE descriptive the title, the easier it is to search. Folks that put their location in the title can look at the bottom of the page and see "5 similar threads". So much simpler.

Folks that simply put "Help" or "It snapped" with no clue as to what the item is, end up eventually with a dead end thread.

If the location or item is in the title
    , we might be able to link you to a quick answer. If the title is a "puzzler", it is more likely to be skipped over, that's simple math/time constraints.

We are approaching 10,000 threads, a lot of them frazzled.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

Seriously. Use this title as an example. I could edit the "post new thread" template to include a note to remind users to post a DESCRIPTIVE title. Actually, I'll do that right now.
  3. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I'll admit/concede, the titles ARE getting better in the past month, I'd estimate 80% have taken the cue and put a few key words in the titles.

We depend on those title "key-words", because nobody, including me, ever uses the tag feature.
  4. Tom

Tom Active Member

Tag feature? Whats that?

Anyone notice the little "Use descriptive titles" warning when posting a new thread?
  5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Nice 2 thumbs.gif
  6. Tom

Tom Active Member

Is it working yet? Lol.
  7. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

Tom, this is an important issue. You could try:

'Be VERY DESCRIPTIVE so we can clearly see the topic
    (Otherwise the thread may be re-titled)'

... Steve
  8. Tom

Tom Active Member

lol, I have seen other forums that actually have a checkbox you must click in order to write the title that says "Check this box if you are going to use a very descriptive title". You can't even start typing anything into the title field until you click that box. Yet, people are still posting threads titled "Help"...

It seems to be a lost cause. Some people just refuse to use a descriptive title...