Crashes MB vs LARGE Dog

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Zev0, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Sorry, hard to type.
    Sunny Wed afternoon
    22 MPH
    large dog runs in front of me, no time to react
    right upper arm broken
    left shoulder dislocated
    HELMET cracked.

moral of story? No HELMET, no Zev0 :helmet:

2. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Bummer Dude!
  3. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

Let me guess; no charges against the dog owner?
  4. Zev0

Zev0 Member

owner unknown. dog loose on road
  5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Man, that just sucks. All I can say is I'm glad you were wearing that helmet. The broken arm and dislocated shoulder are gonna make a lot of things difficult, but you are a tough old bird, you'll be back flapping them wings pretty quickly.

TREEWK Member

Zev0, Sorry to about your crash, best wish`s. Ron
  7. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

I used to love dogs till I got into road bicycles. I still like some dogs, but when I'm on a two-wheeler of any type, every dog is a **** beast to me, unless its in a house or fenced in. I think if a dog escapes it yard, there should be no penalty for any means of self defense against it.
  8. SimpleSimon

I was attacked and mauled by a very large German shepherd as a small boy. He charged so hard he knocked me and my bike into the ditch beside the road, then proceeded to chew on me till the old bat that owned him dragged him off of me. Nothing at all was done to her or the dog as a consequence, because her son was the county sheriff's deputy for the area.

Some months later I finally got fed up with not being able to ride my bike to the store anymore because I'd have to pass by the rotten old bat's house, and dealt with the matter. I took my Dad's pistol, rode to her house, stopped, and when the dog came charging across the road at me I emptied it into him, putting the last round into the top of his head at my feet.

Boy, howdy! Talk about a sh1tstorm that started. It was worth it.

I remain very wary of dogs while on a bicycle to this day.
  9. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

You are in my families prayers. Very glad the helmet did its job. I love dogs, but running loose they are a hazard to all.
  10. loquin

loquin Active Member

OUCH! So sorry to hear about the accident, Zev. And, we're WAY glad you were wearing the helmet. Get better soon.

As far as the dogs chasing/mauling riders, a squirt-gun filled with household ammonia goes a long way...
  11. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Zevo glad you had your helmet on..left mine on workbench,couldnt ride into that low sun even with ultra dark glasses..poor excuse..I am still dizzy and dopy after 3 months...good news is broken clavicle, shoulder and ribs healing up ,.take it easy for a while..real is almost impossible to defend against a large bad dog once it gets close..Seems like you never see them coming.
  12. BAM

BAM Member

Ive got one on my sunday run scared the &&&& out me first couple times now i nail it before i get to his hood thank god he cant get over 25mph lose dogs should not be allowed hope you feel better ride it like you stole it
  13. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Zev0, like everyone else here I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune and I'm certainly glad you were wearing your helmet.
    Loose animals are something I'm always watching for, especially since almost hitting a deer on my Whizzer last year.
    Besides Loquin's suggestion of a squirt gun with ammonia, Pepper spray is also a good deterrent against dogs. Kimber has a pepper spray gun that shoots pepper spray at a muzzle velocity of 270mph and has an effective range of 23 feet.
    They also have a smaller model with a 13 foot range at 90mph.
  14. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

Sorry to hear it, Zev0. Have a speedy recovery.
    I hit a dog years ago, on a motorbike. Broken ankle and toes. No fun.

Tedd, I'm glad that you're coming good. Take it slowly.
    (My scrapes have mostly healed up now, although my head's still a bit tender.)
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  15. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

ZevO, Glad you were wearing your helmet. Don't need another RIP thread here. Also, thanks for the defense suggestions. I too have a dog that is a problem. I like dogs's everyone for themselves in that case.

SS, I like your style. I'm sure there was to pay, but it would be worth it.
  16. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Wonder if one of the super soaker guns is required at times.
    Tomorrow I will post a picture of my canine deterent tool, but in Zev's case I do not think anything could have prevented it. Unless attentive people in the neighborhood called animal control on domesticated animals running loose. It is hard to call the pund on a dog that may be a neighbors pet, but if they let it run loose it is abuse (IMHO).
  17. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

ZevO, super happy that you had your helmet on. Probably not as happy as you are.

Hope you heal well and quickly. Your in our prayers.

18. happycheapskate

Kimber also makes a 1911 worth its weight in gold that has a muzzle velocity of something like 1200fps and an effective range of 50 yards, give or take. :tt1:

19. SimpleSimon

Well, I won't be shooting any dogs in future - I live in town, and my grip on a pistol butt is no longer secure enough to insure that the slugs go only where I intend they should go. Instead, I'll be carrying my tazer.
  20. happycheapskate

I called the cops about a pit bull that knocked me off my bike. They came out, but the Animal Dept. never picked it up. I guess it wasn't vicious enough to be worth their time. Pit bulls are scary. They go from puppy mode to kill mode at the drop of a hat.