Crashes MB vs LARGE Dog

Pit Bull good for hog hunting but not pets I think..don't like even seeing them..a lot of attacks here in Fla.

This should go without saying....but I will say it anyway. It's the owners, NOT the breed. I've kept pit bulls for over 20 years now..with my family (3 children). They are more determined once they put their mind to something, but they are not jekyl and hyde or anything like that. And they are far from mean. Many of them don't even make good guard or watch dogs, as they like people too much. (other animals are another story). Owners (of any breed) need to understand their breed so they can best care for it and be responsible for it. Dogs running loose in the street (especially in front of one of our bikes cooking along at 20+ miles per hour), is NOT excusable.

Warner

Won't help if a large dog runs in front of you, but if one is chasing you, spit on it. Try it, it will probly surprise you.

I hate those dogs, to the last one, but yeah, if they are supervised and trained constantly from pups, they may be useful dogs and not expected to maim people.

The dog that knocked me off apparently thought it was playing around, or maybe it was toying with me the way a large predator bats at its prey before devouring it. I wielded a knife at it and backed away, yelling, and it showed no fear. I threw my lunch sack at it and it turned into a big puppy. Its like that evil hybrid dog from a movie K-9.

If you take care of your dog, good for you.

Dog attacks police cruiser with fury. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAc9k7vJ9Zk&feature=player_embedded

A vicious dog captured by Animal control was released by a judge and returned to its owners. Now it tears the bumper off!!!! a police car.

Why is this dog not secured in a fence, on a chain, or better yet worm dirt?
Take a look at the thread Cop Car vs Large Dog.

The dog was kept by its owners in a fenced yard, but (as is evident from the video) he is a determined fellow with powerful jaws, and chewed the gate open, apparently. The owner is now required to take the dog to obedience classes, secure the fenced yard more effectively, and exercise better care to keep the dog in. Vicious? Hardly that, as evidenced by his behavior on the video - looks like a pretty friendly dog to me.

As for the sequence of events as you portray them, I'd say you are a bit mixed up. The video was taken by the dash cam of a second police car, the dog was (from what I've read about the incident) was easily caught by animal control and offered no violence to that officer, and the court hearing was well after the assault on the police cars bumper.

Dogs are a lot like teenaged boys - get a pack of them running loose in an area and they'll get up to mischief they'd never undertake normally.

"Hey guys! Watch this!"

from the Mark Twain essay in my signature

There was a row of low stepping-stones across one end of the street, a measured yard apart. Even after I got so I could steer pretty fairly I was so afraid of those stones that I always hit them. They gave me the worst falls I ever got in that street, except those which I got from dogs. I have seen it stated that no expert is quick enough to run over a dog; that a dog is always able to skip out of his way. I think that that may be true: but I think that the reason he couldn't run over the dog was because he was trying to. I did not try to run over any dog. But I ran over every dog that came along. I think it makes a great deal of difference. If you try to run over the dog he knows how to calculate, but if you are trying to miss him he does not know how to calculate, and is liable to jump the wrong way every time. It was always so in my experience. Even when I could not hit a wagon I could hit a dog that came to see me practice. They all liked to see me practice, and they all came, for there was very little going on in our neighborhood to entertain a dog. It took time to learn to miss a dog, but I achieved even that.
zev0...i'm very happy to hear you survived & are mending...DOT to the rescue :helmet:

Ok i'll look for the thread. But if a friendly pit bull etc decides to play with you, although a little roughly, how forgiving will you be? :)

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=265491&postcount=24

If you own dogs, please be careful and consider that while they may be "man's best friend," they are not my best friend if they are hounding cyclists.

Cheers to Mb riders on this board, no hard feelings. I am angered by the culture that lets dogs run loose and seems to blame people who are victimized by dogs. I hope MB ambassadors can help change that.

Last edited:
Back