MBc Knowledge Base

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tom, May 7, 2009.

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

The knowledge base exists here:

I can create as many pages as I want, however the software only allows me to create them. Simply let me know the name of the page you want me to create, and I'll go ahead and create it for you.

My objective is to create a resource that will help organize some of the information that is contained in this forum, and arrange it in a way that will be of benefit to the MBc newbie, much like Sparky's crash course.

Now, we will be able to create more pages, expand on topics further, edit indefinitely, and soon add a link to this resource on the top navigation (where you see User CP, Picture Gallery, FAQ, ChatBox Full, etc.).

We can also link to the resource in the rules and mention the resource on the welcome PM that new users get.

This is going to be sweet! :cool2:

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Yes, the utility of this feature can be truly awesome. In order for it to be what it can be, we will all need to review it and add to it as seems appropriate.

I want to suggest that we add a page - we might call it the Mototred Bike Builders Atlas. I'd suggest that we do here what I offered to do the other day in the thread discussing a possible bike builders forum. Frankly, a bike builders forum is not something I see as a good idea for a variety of reasons, but a resource page is. I'd suggest we post a stickied thread in a prominent spot, inviting those who build motored bikes to give a brief synopsis of their experience/expertise - perhaps 300 words max, accompanied if they wish by a maximum of two pictures of their work (we can specify max size for those), to be submitted via PM to the moderators..

Limit it very strictly to those prepared to actually build a bike for a potential customer - not parts or system vendors unless, like SpookyTooth, they offer complete ready to ride bikes and are prepared to work with the customer to provide some degree of customization. The resource link should contain limited contact information - city/state/province, range they are willing to accept work within, and an e-mail account by which potential customers may directly contact the builder(s).

I don't think we should be in the business of referring potential customers at all - this would be strictly a resource for the general membership/guests to identify a potential builder for themselves. If possible, we might attach a map showing the builders general location.

Also, we ought to request that if a customer does in fact commission a bike, they give a very brief review of their experience of the transaction, which ought to be visible only to staff. Lots of folks can and may claim they'll build motored bikes on a commission basis, but cannot adequately follow through. In such an event, we need to be able to sort those out for deletion from the list, but that needs to be after careful review.

What do you all think?
  3. Tom

Tom Active Member

4. Tom

Tom Active Member

Are you guys able to edit the pages? This is a new product for the forum and I am not sure on how it is working.
  5. SimpleSimon

Edit works fine. Please review what I've put on the knowledge base builders atlas page.
  6. Tom

Tom Active Member

Nice! That helps clarify your intent.

It would be nice if it could be a little more automated; builders can submit their business and customers can review them without having to go through the mods.

We are working on a sort of local vendor directory, so maybe we can make a list of links to the local builders' listings in that directory.
  7. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

A true info base for motored bicycle riders! NICE!
  8. SimpleSimon

Added my two-speed friction drive idea post to the KB.