MBc Vocabulary(Definitions & Descriptions)

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by fetor56, Mar 4, 2008.

1. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Please feel free to explain commonly(and non commonly) used terms our more experienced members talk about so that everyone can get a clearer understanding of what's being said.Pics where appropriate would be helpful.
    For example:
    Jackshaft;A short shaft that transmits motion from a motor to a machine.
    jackshaft.jpg

2. Happy Time ~ That wonderfully affordable 2 stroke engine from China that's frame mounted and is my friend.

3. Scottm

Scottm Guest

This is a if not the most comprehensive bicycle glossary A-Z (IMHO). http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary-a.html
    Thanks for staring this Fetor, hopefully we can do something as nicely as he did.

4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Thanks heaps Scott(and Large)....that'll come in pretty handy.Any terms generally used but not on that Sheldon list should also be included,including MBc generic names.

5. Scottm

Scottm Guest

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

Bicycle: before
    Engine: internal combustion engine, 2- or 4-stroke
    Motor: electric motor
    Kit: peripheral parts included with engine or motor (sometimes used to refer to entire package)
    MotoredBike: after :)

7. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Piston Parts

I had to learn about these parts the hard way, engine seizure.
    The piston sits atop the connecting rod and is held there buy the wrist pin which is run through the needle bearing (a bushing in some cases).
    The wrist pin is kept in place by the keeper clips "e".
    The keeper clips fit in a groove just inside the hole in the side of the piston.

The small stuff is metal chunks broken loose when my engine seized as you can tell by the piston.

Attached Files:

8. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Good example Scott...nasty things like this happen but it forces u/me/us to learn a real lot,real quick.
    When i was working in the Government we came across a small problem that took many ppl ages to solve...one of the guys said "pity we don't make these mistakes more often,then wed'e know what we where doing" :)

9. * - What you see above people's heads as you drive by them in your motoredbike. It's a sign that they get it.

Example: Riding around all day yesterday I saw 74 *'s as I passed people. I didn't see this with roadies. Mostly tired bikers with inexpensive bikes and pedestrians walking their dogs.

10. GEBE ~ Golden Eagle Bicycle Engine?????

11. Tom

Tom Active Member

Exactly.