MBers: "New Wave of Street Terrorists"

Happy Valley

Local time
12:00 PM
Yeah, I know but don't laugh.
I came across this Op/Ed in a CA newspaper.
Despite the bogus over-the-top language, I cringe seeing MBs being characterized this way.

Perception is reality.

I was jogging on the sidewalk on the north side of Yosemite Avenue just past Mylnar Avenue when I almost got hit by the latest mode of street terrorism - a motorized bicycle.

~~~

I've seen wanton disregard for the rules of the road with motorized bicycles before my close encounter with the jerk on three wheels.

~~~

I've seen them fly through stop signs at 20 mph, zip through red lights, cut in front of traffic, and even turn sidewalks into scaled-down autobahns. Granted they represent a minority of those on motorized bicycles but they are the overwhelming face of those who choose to ride a bicycle but not pedal. There is nothing wrong with that at all. What is wrong - unless I'm assuming incorrectly - is that they don't have to follow traffic laws or stay off sidewalks.

~~~

At least they are a tad less annoying than those who get their entertainment by zipping up and down neighborhood streets over and over again on loud and obnoxious gas-powered mini-scooters. They don't grate on your ear drums the same way.

They do impose a serious risk to the safety of others including regular bicyclists and pedestrians as well as themselves.

I have little doubt that Manteca Police ultimately will clamp down on the renegade motorized bicyclists just as they did on the out-of-control crowd who abuse the use of powered mini-scooters.

If someone is driving around unlicensed they also probably don't have insurance and they certainly don't have respect for basic traffic laws.

As for Dennis Hopper wannabes on motorized bicycles with a lot less CCs (cubic centimeters of engine capacity) under them, Jack Nicholson was man enough to open up the throttle on the open highway and not through stop signs or on sidewalks.

http://www.mantecabulletin.com/news/archive/18347/

Last edited by a moderator:
oh shoot...and that's california, one of the most MB-tolerant states there is.

and so it begins :(

hi vtec. i don't see this as being about a newspaper's politics...i see this as being about a jogger almost run over by a motoredbike, an apparently unlit one *on the sidewalk*...the writer doesn't seem to have a problem with the bike itself, but rather the rider's behavior. i don't blame him one bit...one of these days i'll find myself putting thru some new town, and before i know it i'm impounded, because of some idiot who done scrood things up...now, when that occurs, are we to blame the town, it's newspaper, or the GOLDANGED BASSWHOLE who demonstrated a lack of regard for his neighbors and fellow motorists?

Last edited:
Here, here, Augi, it only takes one idiot to ruin it for the rest of us. Riding on the sidewalk or bike lane or nature trail is not legal at least for us here. If you are a motorized bicycle then you must obey the rules of the road and not the sidewalk. True we get the benefit of being classified as a motorized bicycle which affords us some liberties but I would much rather be hassled by a cager than be put in jail for riding on the sidewalk or nature trail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats really a shame, some people just shouldn't be allowed to operate ANY vehicle.
The fact it was a motor bike only draws the wrong kind of attention to our hobby.
I like going fast on a machine I've built, but there's a time and place for such things NOT in traffic or on pedestrian sidewalks.
Wear a helmet.
ride in the designated lane or part of the road were Bikes usually ride.
DON'T run signs or red lights.
Get a HORN.
GET a white light for the front and a red light for the rear.
SHOW a little common courtesy and consideration, it goes a long way.

this article is a PERFECT real world example of how one jerk on a MB actually CAN give a bad rep to those who actually ride safe and courteous.

I bet he was thinking "It's all about me..." ;)

hi vtec. i don't see this as being about a newspaper's politics...i see this as being about a jogger almost run over by a motoredbike, an apparently unlit one *on the sidewalk*...the writer doesn't seem to have a problem with the bike itself, but rather the rider's behavior. i don't blame him one bit...one of these days i'll find myself putting thru some new town, and before i know it i'm impounded, because of some idiot who done scrood things up...now, when that occurs, are we to blame the town, it's newspaper, or the GOLDANGED BASSWHOLE who demonstrated a lack of regard for his neighbors and fellow motorists?

I didn't say it was about politics... I was merely commenting that this example perfectly typifies the northern California elitist mentality... "if I believe it then it must be absolute and if I want something done because I think something is wrong then it must be done and you should just live with it. if you don't like it then you are either a moron or you are an intolerant bigot for disagreeing with me".

It wasn't that what he said was political in nature, it's just the arrogance that pervades his language.... It's full of very un-intelligent assumptions (adimittedly so by the author) and demonizing language that is completly unjustified by the situation.

To top it off I would bet 10/1 if you asked this guy if he considered himself a tollerant person he would say... Absolutly without batting an eye. Despite authoring what amounts to utter slander and hate speech towards a person and group this guy has probably never even spoken a word to. That's the problem, they see themselves as the most accepting people until you do something they don't like or say something they don't agree with. then you become a street terrorist... Not the guy trying to get to his job efficiantly, or a student trying save money on gas. Nope, you are a street terrorist now because this guy is the media and who are you to disagree with the media.

I mean seriously.... The new Street terrorist??? That is litterally libelous.. I highly doubt that guy was actually a terrorist, or had and intent to inflict harm or terror on anybody. It's an article full of random heresay and cliches.... and judging by the language this guy really expects his local police department is going to do something... Because he as editor of the local newspaper has deemed this a danger to himself and society. Did anybody think this guy could have been distraced by his iPhone or something and wandered into the bikes path... I know as an mb'er stuff like that happens. There could be another side to this story.

So for the record... let me get this correct... This guy has a bad experience so a group of people should loose their rights and some freedom? And you guys are ok with this!??? If so.... Might I suggest you raise the price of your freedom a little??? At least try to bargain something for it instead of the middle finger from some angry, crazed, And unreasonablenorthern Californian.

Look, it's not necessarily the article that irritates me... It's the fact that one guy was an *** hat, one guy got offended, and now I loose my right to ride an mb. This seems to be more-and-more the way things are being done. I don't like it and we should be outraged at things like this. People in that area should demand that editor publish an apology and or scrub that article from their database because of libelous slander... I for one don't like to be characterized as a terrorist, nor do I want people to think I am one because of a newspaper article authored by some pinhead.

Last edited:
Hard to say what REALLY happened. I agree that we all need to ride sanely and legally.

There, however, is no doubt that opinion reporter was writing with extreme bias.

Despite my slowing down way in advance of her approaching....and then finally coming to a full stop in front of her I was almost run over by a woman jogger that was jogging against traffic in the bike lane. This was in a dedicated bike lane, not a multi use path. I guess I'll write a letter to the editor and demand that the city outlaw jogging.

Back