MBs a "chick magnet"?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jared3377, Jun 20, 2008.

1. jared3377

jared3377 Member

The other day I had a funny thing happen to me: I was riding down the street and stopped at a stoplight when a female cyclist came up beside me, asking the usual Q's like "Hey, did you build that yourself?," "How fast does it go?," etc.

I answered her questions and said how much fun I was having with it when she said something like "Yeah, it must be a real chick magnet." As far as I could tell, she wasn't being sarcastic, but I found myself saying, "I don't know about that..."

I would think that maybe a Harley or a crotch-rocket or a Corvette would be a "chick magnet" but not an MB (unless maybe she was a hippie/granola-type gal). Anyways, I just thought it was funny--comments...?

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

It is a good ice-breaker and gets you plenty of attention. The only downside is that not everybody can appreciate them like we do.
  3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Chicks like them cos their cute.....guys like them cos their practical.........cute or practical their a heck of a lot of fun.
  4. Alan

Alan Member

You must be married 'cause a single horny guy would have asked where's she riding, and would she like company, or just get a coffee....................oh heck,..................................You blew it !!!!!:rolleyes::lol:

Don't take this too seriously. I'm just kiddin' with you. :D:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  5. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Dunno about the chicks but these things attract dogs Ill tell ya. Dont ride near anyone walking their dogs unless your health insurance is in order. I dont know if its the sound or what but dogs go nuts riding in the hood or on a trail and the suckers want to bite the tires and eat your leg for lunch. Steel toed boots are awaiting the next cute lil dog that thinks Im its lunch.
  6. Every time I come back for a ride my dogs be sniffing on my tires then they be peeing on them. Every morning I have a new tire stain. I mean what up with that?
    I think the higher quality the bike the chick magneter it is.
    Like MOOP looks junker. But Cronus looks classy.
    I do get some thumbs up from the ladies on Cronus.
  7. kaploink

kaploink Member

It probably depends on the bike build. My old mtb conversion would only make Red Green proud and would scare everyone else off. Especially the fairer sex. Women in my age group would probably sick their fluffy lap dogs on me.
  8. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Haha.... right...I wouldn't say a chick magnet, because you can't exactly pick one up on the bike. Unless you have some pegs on your wheels LOL.
  9. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

I've even had some interest myself from some of the girls round the town... I think its the novelty factor of it and also, if the bike is well built some will appreciate the skill behind it.

Im not complaining at all :oops: I love the attention, just wish that most of the ones that showed an interest werent somewhere about the age of 16. Pretty but I have this thing about cradle-snatching...

And yeah... the girl you were chatting to was probably looking for a little bit more than a faceful of chengine exhaust - I've found a coffee (with a shot of whiskey) works wonders....

Jemma xx
  10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

My experiences have been that women are by far much more appreciative of motorised bicycles than men, especially if coming across a couple and having a chat, be it at a popular cycling pit stop or stopping on a trail to check the bike for a typical 137 point log book inspection (generally taking about an hour).

Men seem to view it as competition between themselves and their girl and want to move on quickly, especially if their girl shows interest in the bike, which most do, asking typical questions.
    Some men view it as a serious challenge to their emotional state, particularly those men who have spent ridiculous amount of money on a high end mountain bike - they refuse to even accept that there is more than one way of doing things, with the view that it's outright cheating - it just kills them when you ride past and have an ear to ear smile on your face whilst they are struggling their guts out on a serious hill.

Over and over on rides it's women who have a big smile on their faces when seeing my bike, yet men rarely show a smile or say G'day.

The reaction between men and women still surprises me to this day.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  11. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Ahahahah! I love that line! Nice one large one ;-}

I do agree a sharp looking build gets more attention and leads to more conversations with both sexes, and chicks ride them too, I've had a couple of female build customers and this one was a real head turner without a bike.

As for me, Pffftt, I'm old and married half my life so I'm not looking to attract chicks unless they do house cleaning hehehe ;-}

I do get smiles and waves from them though, even when I'm looking like this if I can pace them on a 40MPH road and see them at each stop light.

I like the chickie smiles and waves.

Sadly I'm a couple years older and grayer than that now, and I even like to dress like an 'old man on a golf course' and ride around on occasion now just for my own giggles and grins, but that bike is gone and I'm in the process of picking a new bike frame to drop a 49cc 4-stroke shifter on.

That bike was a 2009 Giant Suede with a stock 48cc (at that time) JS'ed 3-speed.

As silly as most people think that bike looked I absolutely loved the feel and ride of it, better than anything I have ever rode and I've rode a lot of different MB's.
    That being the case I keep finding my search for new bike back to a Giant Suede and I have to hand it to them, the 2012 Suede for $500 keeps ending up being what I want.

They don't include the seat post shock on this one but there is plenty of room for a good one.

Will it be a chick magnet?
    Maybe if I let my 21 year old son take it out it would be ;-}
  12. Richard H.

Richard H. Member

Haha, the stuff that comes into some people's heads. Only an adolescent or a geezer would think of a motored bicycle as a "chick magnet", lol.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  13. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

I'm sorry but any time a chick comes up and talks to me while i'm on my bike, my bike has nothing to do with why she's talking to me.
  14. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

Chicks don't give a damn about my MB, I find. Plenty of lads want a closer look at it though. I'd say a lot of chicks (known as "beours" around here) don't even look and are oblivious to the fact that an ordinary bike with a frikkin' engine just went past them.

I took it to a car boot sale a few weeks ago and a crowd of lads gathered around it within minutes. Chicks give no more than a passing glance if they notice it at all, sure they are all into having babies, drama, soap operas, buying overpriced items imported from China in a retail environment, reality TV, getting drunk on sugary vodka based drinks, yep.. all that good stuff

*takes the top off a 1L bottle of cynicism and gulps it down*
  15. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I want to buy that phrase off you - it's an absolute corker !!! :grin5:
  16. V 35

V 35 Member

People of all ages, genders, and income levels appreciate the concept. Woman who bicycle, but * wouldn't * ride a motorcycle, seem to have the most, and oftentimes, best questions. I hope some local shops have a ' learn to ride ' day so more people can discover the fun riding under power offers. Some of the dumbest comments have come from ' real ' motorcycle owners, who are under the belief that adding a motor turns a bicycle into a motorcycle, which * we * know isn't the case. My favorite comment came from an outlaw biker who said " No Suspension , you guys got a lot more ***** [ reference to round objects ] than we do ! I tend to agree that build quality says a lot about the builder, after all, what kind of sissy rides a storebought bike ?
  17. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

Sure take it away, nobody wants anything that belonged to me anyway

I could walk into an auction and everyone's old junk could be selling for 100's but as soon as word gets out that I own a similar item the value will plummet

A geezer like myself wouldn't think so only from experience. Chicks want a massive Rolls Royce with a prundletronic gearbox or a Google driverless crapheap cause it's safe for the kids
  18. Richard H.

Richard H. Member

I'd guess you've never been to Sturgis, lol.
  19. geebt48cc

geebt48cc Member

Yes, I do agree Fabian. The only major disadvantage is when you both are really enjoying the talk and you can't ask her to jump on the back to just take her around the block,parking lot, etc?????????????? See, if you had a full sized motorcycle, that wouldn't be a prob. So...................O'well.
  20. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

Sounds like a good excuse for a tandem, may get you some free power with a cute stoker.