MBs -- little brother to the Harley's

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Mountainman, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

I live in a town where there are a lot of Harley riders
    these guys love my little motor bike
    as we know
    there's someTHING very special about a small one lunger MB
    pushing us around town

two guys on Harleys passed by me the other day
    one guy was smiling at me
    gave me the tumbs up
    and almost fell off his Harley
    as he was trying to get his buddies attention
    so as to point out the little -- bad to the bone motor bike

yes - I have owned a few Harleys over the years
    and although I would not call many motor cycles
    little brother to a Harley
    these motor bikes seem to be just that

ride that THING

2. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

How true!! when people come up to me and say "thats a nice bike" I just say this is "my Harley"!!
  3. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me last weekend on a ride to the Santan Park.
    I think the Harley guys/gals study motorcycle history a lot more than riders
    of more recent makes. They have seen the early Harleys in museums and books that
    are very similar to our motorized bikes, including separate chains for pedal power and engine power.
  4. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

Hey the best part is they are a heck of a lot cheaper to own and put together
  5. Mountainman

yes -- wheelbender

yes -- so true wheelbender

those old Harley's and Indian's were motor bikes
    and so cool they were are still are
    all two wheel riders back then and now
    love looking at those old THINGS

years ago a Rebel of a guy down this old dirt road
    had a lot of small Harley's and Indian's
    I was amazed how many different models he had
    the guy got into some trouble as happens with Rebel's sometimes
    I heard that he had been put away for an extended stay
    I wonder where those motor bikes are today

would love to ride one of those THINGS
  6. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Early motorcycles evolved from MB's, which had fairly large low rpm,200 cc + engines with lots of low end torque,an atmospheric intake valve and good for something like 2 HP at 2000 rpm max.Pedal assist with a built in freewheel (to get started) , a compression release and of course magneto ignition.Actually not a bad setup really for an MB, if you only have a single gear.
  7. Mountainman

yes -- those first built old motor bikes were sweet
    not sure about long time many miles reliable -- but very sweet

have you all seen that 10 or 12 thousand dollar motor bike shone somewhere on site ?

that THING is the kind

I would like to have that
    but that's also around the price of a really nice used Harley these days

mean while -- let me go jump on my 1.6 hp Robin THING -- dream on Mountainman
  8. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Seems like the right idea. Need that torque for takeoff.
  9. RLK

RLK Guest

In 1948 Honda started making MBs. The Type A was a 2 stroke, looks like 80cc or so. Website dosen't give the displacement. The first commercial success for the Honda Motor Corp.

When I think of Harlys I think of bar-hopping goofballs in assless chaps and leather fringe pirate costumes that spend more time polishing chrome than riding. The bikes' technology was outdated 40 years ago, pushrods and 2 valve per cylinder. They recently came up with some sort of throttle body fuel injection but on other products that was outdated in in 1987.

If you are brave, point out that the entire fuel and ignition system on "modern American made" Harleys are all Japaneese parts, made by Denso and Mikuni. If that dosen't earn you a mouthful of knuckles point out that the 600cc motor in a Suzuki GSXR can make 120 horsepower while the 1200ish Harley motor might make half that on a good day and the bike weighs twice as much.

They are good at turning gasoline into noise though.

I must have got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I'm grouchy for no reason. :-/

Attached is one of the first Honda products I mentioned.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
  10. Mountainman

hey RLK

man oh man -- that Honda at least in my book is a SWEET looking THING
    wish that they would turn out one almost just like that today -- but 4-stroke
    which for Honda as we know -- would be no problem !

yes - I understand all about what you are saying about Harley's
    I have also had many motor cycles that would blow a Harley far far away

but there's someTHING special about a Harley hard to understand
    even though they are known to break down a lot
    would still be my two wheel choice to ride across this land

as I ride that loud THING
  11. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I'm with you about the harleys RLK. They're way overpriced and they don't even have the real mechanical quality to justify the price. <3 my SV650s and MB's.
  12. RLK

RLK Guest

Harleys are more about people than performance. For that i'll give them a hat :helmet: They break down so much they always have to call their buddies to bring a truck and haul the THING back home. This creates close friendships, no doubt, ride a couple hundred miles with a guy in assless chaps in the cab of a pickup truck and you are by default friends.

What I take from this thread is that Harley riders appreciate the superior technology of a MB when they see it.
  13. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Nothing was more fun than taking an RD 350 out on the twisties and giving the Harley boys on their rhinos a run for their money.The latest HD was actually designed by Porsche and is water cooled.They had a lot of trouble comimg up an unobtrusive radiator that would do the job.I'm not sure if it's still a pushrod design,but I'm inclined to doubt it.They are comfy, lumbering Interstate cruisers you can sit on all day.The Honda Goldwings are even better.To each his own,I liked the light, highstrung, nimble 2 strokes instead of those Clydesdales, but I would not care to ride my RD 400 cross-country.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
  14. alex

alex Guest

15. Mountainman

16. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Probably a choice collectors item,but it didn't have all that much to offer over DOC 4 cyl. jobs.My choice for fun these days would be the Kawasaki Ninja 250.Not expensive,nimble and surprisingly powerful,but not suitable really for long distance trips.
  17. graucho

graucho Active Member

Mountainman this is not directed at you at all. Just a genral statement.

I dont know how it is throughout he country but I have Harley in the family. In my area i'd be
    bit*h slapped if comparing my MB's to the hardcore serious Harley builder. Ive been told to
    go out in the garage and play with my "kiddie" bike. If it wasnt a family member and friend, I would
    have been offended. Instead I laughed because I had just taken 50 bucks from him in a bet.

Depending where your at it would be wiser to let a hardcore biker come up to you curious and ask
    questions. And not puttering up to them like your any form of their buddy/brother. (Im not talking
    the latest class of suit and tie Harley dudes)

Theres an enormous brotherhood of bad arse out there. Playing with them as kids and growing up with
    them Im accepted as a friend. I cant count how many times ive looked around at a biker party and asked
    myself what an I doing here? and slid on out before the brews got flowing.

As usual some will think in an idiot for even bringing this up but anyways... just another opinion and a friendly heads up.
    Went through some photos. Just look at the comparision between our bikes and theirs. And all of this blah... blah... blah...may make sense.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  18. Mountainman

yes graucho I know what you are saying here
    wouldn't want to pull up next to a biker at a stop light or someTHING
    and point at my little engine as if I will have his pink slip before the next light
    of course he may just think I am retarded -- just leaving me in the smoke

the hardcore bikers around here as most places
    should always be approached in an attentive way with eyes open
    noted -- many biker killings in our area over the years

to be honest with one and all here
    I went back so as to study exactly what I said in the beginning of this thread
    admited -- it's confusing to me -- what exactly am I asking ?

must have been one of those
    up way before dawn after a pot of coffee
    no excuses just the way it happens up here top of old mountain most often

have a good day as you ride your MB THING
  19. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I'm pretty well known by all up here and kind of tend to get caught between the Harely Charlies and Oreintal express clubs. I've got great friends in just about all denominations and factions here in Buffalo.

When I finally got my bike built and running (to all of thier dismay), I think they had a side bet as to who I'd join, through the years. Nothing but laughter as I tooled arround to show it off.

Asked everybody could I get in your club now? Many hugs and your always a brother in replies from the top brass. Laughter in higher ranks, priceless!

I owe you guy's huge for helping to put some smiles on faces here in Buffalo!

P.S. I've got a real bad back and couldn't hold alot of these bikes my Brothers ride upright at a stop. Loosing feeling in my legs...
  20. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

One of the few good things about Harleys is that with the distinctive exhaust note you can hear them coming.The cops in the Hague had them and roller skating in the streets was illegal,we used to play roller hockey and had little kids as lookouts.If they caught you in the act you would lose your skates for awhile.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009