MBs on Bike Paths...

We have some Awesome bike paths here in Fort Worth 26 miles worth all over the city.
There is a sign that say's " NO MOTERIZED VEHICALS"
So I sent in a email the the county water commission, They have jurisdicition over the trails. The dude I emailled said he would look into it and asked me some questions about my bike and how fast it went, I even sent him a picture of it.. about 2 months went by with no responce so I sent him another email asking about the trails and he answered back the next day and said " no motorized bikes allowed " It's a shame becuse the trails are always empty nobody uses them at all , The hardcore bikeers ride on the road long distances. The trails are just a waste of money.. It's a shame becuse you could ride all over town on the trails safely .. The traffic is so bad here and there are so many dead Harley riders here every week, I saw one on the way home today had the freeway shut down.. We have the highest auto insurance in the nation becuse of the number of fatal accidents..

Fort Worth bike trails

Seanhan,
I been riding the bike trails (along the river) since 1990 on my MB1 (unmotorized). Never saw a motorized bike on the trails. I did however ride a Solex powered mountain bike on them a few times, but only on parts not used very often (up to north side and out east). I think there would be lots of problems on the west side due to traffic.
There is however, a cinder/gravel access road that runs along most of the bike trail from 183/Vickery all the way to University Dr. & Jacksboro Hwy, that is very seldom used. On the other hand, I've seen FW's bicycle police out on the trail and don't know how they would react to a motorized bike?
Last, if ones bike was electric, I don't see how anyone would or could complain.

Cris

according to the tarrant water district

Any motor is not legel gas or electric...
But it would be easer to get away with electric no noise !!!
But I say the heck with the trails .. I dont want to have to go to court !!!
Iam kinda high strung and might be found in contempt !!!!!
after I told the judge what I think about it all....
Just best to obay the law and stay off the trails ...
We dont want any of those m/b riders on our trails, don't want to disturbe the wineo's and homeless !!!

This is how I would approach the bike trails if I had any close to my home to use... There are none since I live in hillbilly territory but that's beside the point.
Motorized bikes are BICYCLES first and foremost. Most builds make it impractical at best to pedal any distance which is a darn shame. If I were to traverse any bike trails I would use a few different methods to traverse them in a timely and complaint-free manner. First method would be to pedal the thing when traffic is high in order to keep complaints from surfacing and just out of general respect for other people. This would include killing the engine and pedaling well in advance of cyclists or other pedestrians. These trails are very flat so as long as your machine is fairly light and freewheels you're all set. The next method would be to pedal and keep that engine humming with a maintenance push while nobody else is around. Remember that whole "if a tree falls in the woods" proverb = no complaints.
Read some of Large Filipinos posts to get an idea of what he does to avoid negative attention on the trails, he's a very good ambassador for the MB community and uses the bike trails all the time to avoid the four-wheeled killing machines.

in So Calif they do

Police don't travel on Bike Paths...

police on bicycles and horses do travel on the bicycle paths -- trails

along with Park Rangers -- City and State Rangers

true -- may not see them often

but -- they are at most times anxious to write tickets

to each his own -- but the law says no here

and when I do illegal THINGS I usually get caught in time

don't do the crime if you can't do the time

MM

my mistake will_start

I was talking about my country not yours :giggle:
I have never seen a Police person patrolling a bike track here ...

yes -- I get pretty hung up here in my world
thinking that we have the only bike trails paths

that sounds cool
to be able to ride there and not get busted
it's a good THING -- happy for you guys

MM

My wife and I were recently on our one day a week "date night" and we were out for a stroll after dinner on the walk/bike path. I could hear a MB with loud exhaust coming in the distance and I smiled to see a MB rider but my smile soon changed when he just missed the wife by inches doing 15 to 20 mph. Idiot! That is the exact reason the laws will not change. Im a MB rider, but some issues I see both sides. Always those Idiots wrecking it for everyone.

In Arizona, MBs are legal on bike paths. However, you hit the nail on the head, graucho. Idiots traveling faster than the 'road conditions' allow will get someone hurt.

Back